Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I track my DLs when I do these free giveaways through mailing lists, and as far as Mysteries and Thrillers go the ranking is

Bookbub >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> eReader News today = FreeBooksy > Robin Reads >>> Everybody Else

My data is about a year out of date, but I haven't seen much that makes me think it's significantly different. I've hit #1 in the Free store on two different books off two Free Bookbub listings (domestic and international both times), so Bookbub is very good. ENT and FreeBooksy have gotten my stuff sub-100, and everything else is still pretty decent.

-----

So I'm doing a co-authored book for the first time. The other guy is pretty well established and has a nice following, so things are looking pretty good. But, before we self-pub, he wants to make a pitch to Thomas & Mercer.

I'm super excited! I feel like I'm playing with house money, and I can't lose no matter the direction we go.

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Have other goons tried, or how do you feel about, using self-publishing not so much as a vehicle to make money but rather as a way of trying to build an audience to break into more traditional publishing?

That's sort of where I'm at, and I'd love to make some money selling work, but I don't want to go the route of writing 3-6 novels a year in order to build out a back catalog and spend a lot of time on marketing and promotion so people try the 1st novel of a series free than buy the others. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just not what I want to do.

Also is there a discord where you guys talk? I thought I saw one mentioned earlier in the thread but nothing in the op (which is rather old).

Gaining an audience and making money self-pubbing (or any publishing route, I'd imagine) go hand-in-hand. If you want to self-pub your work and ignore the marketing half of the job you are entirely free to do so. However, without marketing you're unlikely to gain much of a following, which wouldn't make your work very attractive to a publishing house.

However, you can absolutely self-publish a single book a year, and still make a livable income. It's not easy, but it is possible--and you can't neglect marketing, even if it's something as simple as setting up an Amazon Advertising campaign, or FB ads, or BB ads.

If you are vehemently opposed to marketing work, I don't think self-pubbing is going to do you any good.

However, if you're serious about writing, you should absolutely look into agents accepting submissions of the kind of work you want to make.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I'm not opposed to marketing, I just want to limit my time in it to what's effective that kind of 80/20 thing, and I don't want to try and go the route of spamming out mediocre books. This is what I've read quite a few "succesful" self-publishing authors pretty much do.

I have started looking into agents accepting queries, I just thought if I spent maybe 50% of my time over the next 6 months trying out serializing on Reddit, self-publishing on kindle, blogging, submitting to flash sites and such I'd be in a much stronger place when my manuscript was finished.

Finding an audience on reddit and blogging is good, but those things can take up a lot of time! I should add that in my experience, PPC ads (through Amazon, FB, BB) and a regularly-updated mailing list are also a great way to find and keep an audience.

People def push out low-quality books quickly as a way to game the Amazon algo, but you can absolutely publish much, much slower and still earn a living. It's all about finding your audience and keeping them engaged.

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 27, 2019

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

jazzyjay posted:

I'm about to publish the third book in my South Wind series. I've posted in this thread about my experiences publishing books 1 and 2, so I thought I would share anything useful I learn with this launch.

Book three has been a long time coming as I've been working full time for the past two years. More than full time actually - running a diving operation in the third world is a time sink I do not recommend! Anyway, I'm out of it now, so able to focus on launching Flood Tide. Its going through its final proofread so I'm starting to line up promotions etc.

On thing I'm trying this time is BookSprout to gather ARC reviews. Previously I've used Bookfunnel to distribute ARCs but BookSprout's all-in-one approach to gaining new readers looks interesting. If you're interested in snagging an ARC of the first two books, here are the links. I'm using the free trial version so can only distribute 20 copies of each book though.

EBB TIDE: https://booksprout.co/arc/21099/ebb-tide
SLACK WATER: https://booksprout.co/arc/21100/slack-water

As for actually launching the book - since its the third book in the series, I was thinking of making the first two free for 5 days and launching the new book at 99c. Then after five days, putting book 1 to 99c as a loss-leader and setting 2 & 3 at 2.99 for a while. Promo it in Freebooksy, Fussy Librarian and eReader News as I've had a decent result with them last time.

Then in a couple of months, I'm planning to bundle all three as a trilogy and republish as a single volume in time for Christmas, probably going with Facebook ads as I hope the larger cover price will validate the larger advertising send.

If anyone's got any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

That sounds like a solid gameplan to me!

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Alright, I'm looking to release my (horror-adjacent) book mid-month to capitalize on Halloween hype. I'm still solidifying my full release strategy, but I'm about to put the book up for pre-order and need to pick a release date. Anyone have insight as to what day of the week would be best to release on? I could see Monday or Friday being equally good picks for different reasons. Or is it just better to go as soon as possible to get more time to build before the end of the month?

I have personally never noticed any sort of appreciable difference in release-day sales based on the day of the week.

n8r posted:

It's pretty easy to glean sales data from Amazon sales rank. I can tell you a 50,000 sales rank is probably 100 copies a month. 5000 is 1000 copies a month - very roughly. No idea what 500 or 5 correlates to, but I can tell you that very few authors are making a living just off their books. Have you seen the fees authors charge for speaking? That's where some of the big money is...

It's true that most people writing books don't make a livable income off their book sales. However, any chart about incomes from five years ago should be heavily questioned.

That said, I don't think that chart is all that far off. I've never heard of DigitalBookWorld.com--Author Earnings Report was my go-to for industry earning numbers. AER was a fantastic analysis on author earnings, but it seems that Dataguy has moved on to start his own company, BookStat, so AER is defunct.

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 4, 2019

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Don't you have to be trad to be part of the authors guild?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Got my first self-pubbed novel going up for sale later this week and I'm just a nervous wreck.

I imagine it gets easier with time but like, how do you deal with it initially? I've got to be marketing and promoting and selling myself and instead I'm spending 50% of my mental energy just trying to stop my eyelid from twitching.

I know wildly successful self pubbed authors who are still like this. In fact, just this week, one said, completely earnestly, she's going to start drinking while writing to take the edge off of worrying about releases.

It happens! But it does dull a bit when you're working on releasing your twelfth title and you know what to expect.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Writing the next book is always good. When I ran fb ads heavily about a year ago, 10% conversion was pretty good. A lot of people click, but don't buy. It just happens. Having a big back list helps mitigate it

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Echoing Freebooter's advice, just stick with it. It's hard to judge the viability of a series based on book 1 alone. Both of my series didn't really out-earn their ad spend until Book 3-ish (which is why I wrote 3 books before releasing the first).

That being said, don't be afraid to change gears if the series simply isn't selling. There's no shame in that. Sometimes your tastes don't appeal to the tastes of a big audience. The only real tricks are don't half-rear end it, and don't quit!

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

My first novel came out 8 days ago. Tamsyn Muir said she loves it, and it's already getting some lowkey awards buzz. It's selling alright, some real honest-to-god bookstores are stocking it, and honestly I'm a bit overwhelmed at everything that's happening

I self-pubbed because I got burnt-out by querying (and a few other timing factors—worldcon/gideon created some issues) and I'd kinda assumed it would just disappear but this is actually going places and I wasn't really emotionally prepared for that aaaaah

Congrats dude!

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

I've been working on this co-authored story that is in a different subgenre from what I normally write, and it's been a shitload of fun. it's both new and familiar. And I get to do lots of research on boats and boating, so that's cool. I'm also trying to create a book that is more honest to me and my worldviews. Maybe it's my insecurities, but I've felt like mysteries and thrillers have a majority conservative, boomer readership, and I'm leaning pretty hard on my anti-corporate beliefs here, esp. as it pertains to drug manufacturers.

Anyway, it might blow up in my face. It might not. I'm not printing hammers and sickles on every page, and I think just about everyone can agree that the current drug market in the US is utterly hosed. Perhaps even retired boomers (many of whom are directly affected by price gouging of drugs) will identify with the things I'm writing.

Also, I got to do a bunch of research on Catamarans yesterday, so that was cool.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Ahhhhhhhh HOLY poo poo! My co-author got a meeting with the Editorial Director at Thomas & Mercer next week!!!

e: triple post, but oh well! I'm so excited!

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

The meeting with Thomas & Mercer went really well! The Editorial Director there liked our initial idea, and she wants to see what my co-author and I are working on, so we're going to send them the stuff we've both worked on.

I almost can't believe this is happening!

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Dadliest Worrier posted:

That must be incredibly exciting. What’s the latest?

It is very exciting!

Yesterday, we sent them a synopsis of the book and the first 7 chapters. They said they'll be able to make a "quick decision" about signing or not. The publishing world is extremely slow, so I'm guessing we'll actually hear something after the holidays.

Regardless of what happens, we still need to have a book to publish, so I'm just trying to keep my head down and continue moving forward with the work. I've been in this game for five years with some mild success, I am so ready to for my big break to come around.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

freebooter posted:

We would all like to have really cool, unique covers that we think are neat as stand-alone pieces of art. Unfortunately publishing doesn't work that way. The purpose of your cover is to immediately identify your book as belonging to a certain genre, even when it's shrunk down to a tiny Amazon thumbnail. I 100% guarantee you that if you go the traditional publishing route, and are lucky enough to succeed, your publisher is going to give you a cover you think is really boring and generic. Your publisher will be right. If you end up self-publishing: emulate your fictional publisher. There's a reason so many covers looks the same. Don't try to give yourself a cover which is recreating a scene from your book or mimicking a style of art you really like. Cough up the cash and go for a professionally made cover.

Solid advice. I agree completely. Cover is all about transmitting genre, and appealing to readers with specific preferences.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

I think most of the people at Thomas & Mercer had a week or two off for the holidays, so I haven't heard anything yet. Dunno! Publishing moves slow. We've got a spot lined up with a freelance editor in March, so if Thomas & Mercer doesn't pick us up, we'll just release it ourselves.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Leng posted:

So this popped up on my feed today:
https://www.amazon.com/b?node=21613975011&ref=tsm_1_tw_s__4743373791&linkId=116620400

Kindle Vella sounds like KDP trying to get in on WattPad/Royal Road action. Is anyone planning to experiment with this?

i'm always weary of transactions that use Fun Bucks. Why does Amazon need a go-between currency?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

also, hello thread, the last year has been hard. Last I popped in here, I was shopping a book to Thomas and Mercer with my co-author. They declined last winter, but w/e. Rejection happens. We released the book early this month, and it's doing very well. I'm looking forward to having writing income again after not publishing anything in a year and a half.

I also have a solo book in the same genre that I got back from my editor last week. Hoping to drop it on Amazon in May. It's been two years since I've launched a first in series, so I'm a little rusty (and short on cash), but I think I can make it work with newsletter spots from other authors in the genre I've gotten to know.

That said, I'm nervous about a new release without having a sequel nearly ready to go, but since this co-authored book is hot and in the same genre, I think I'll get a nice lift on my solo book if I release before co-authored book cools off.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

all other things like the standard of storytelling and cover art being equal, what are the most popular genres in self publishing in a hierarchy?

erotica
romance
fantasy
sci fi
crime
misery memoir
then what?

ime, crime/mystery/thriller are more popular than scifi, but i haven't looked closely at scifi in a few years

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

drat divabot, somebody got $10 worth of mad at you.

or like 1/10000 of a bitcoin mad at you, since i'm assuming it was a crypto goon

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I wrote an 89k word novel in 2019 and submitted it to agents in early 2020 after doing live pitches at a conference. I got 5 requests and 5 rejections, and they all said essentially the same thing: it was clear that an adult was writing the book or narrating the story which was meant for a young-adult audience. I got the same feedback from the friends and acquaintances who read it.

I've decided to try one more time to have it published, so I'm going to do a rewrite with a mind towards fixing the language, scenarios, and other elements for a younger audience. I'll probably cast a wider net this time, but if I hit a wall of rejections again I'm going to self-publish it.

Anyways, does anyone here have a good recommendation for blogs, books, other resources for re-writing a book?

I'm not sure how applicable it is to YA, but my favorite book about editing is called Self Editing for Fiction Writers, and it's by Renni Browne.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Ccs posted:

So this might come in handy for people: The Self Published Fantasy Blog Off is coming up and I thought "it'd be cool to submit to that, too bad my book is trapped as a KPF file and thus stuck inside the Amazon ecosystem, whereas bloggers require the files provided to them in Mobi for review."

After some googling I downloaded Calibre and installed a KFX plugin that people SAID would convert the KPF file into whatever I so desired. Fantastic!

Oh, but tragedy, what it actually did was just give me my crappy old Docx file I had originally uploaded into Kindle Create without any of the nice formatting I later added. Oh well...

But in a last ditch effort I searched "KPF" on Calibre's main page. Turns out Calibre doesn't expect anyone to have downloaded the KFX plugin, and thinks they're being helpful by instead just grabbing the Docx inside the KPF package and loading THAT in. But if you disable the plugin that comes with the program that grabs this Docx, and then enable the KFX plugin in its place, you can then convert your nicely formatted KPF file into a Mobi, an Epub, a what-have-you. Hooray! Managing to escape the Amazon ecosystem while still geting all the benefits of their formatting feels nice.

Edit: Although I'm not sure this has anything to do with it, today I can't find my book when I search for it on Amazon.com. It's still there, still enrolled in KU, still searchable on Amazon.ca, but the .com just sort of vanished it. I'm wondering if for some reason converting it to a mobi alerted Amazon somehow and they've decided the punish the book by hiding it, or it's just a weird glitch...

one question: is there a specific reason why you're using Kindle Create?

Draft2Digital can format ebooks pretty easily, and doesn't lock you into a proprietary file format. if you need to add backmatter or change the TOC, it's pretty easy to open the files in calibre and manually add/edit what you need.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

divabot posted:

just signing them's a great start really. Offer individualised dedications!

Signed copies are great.

If it doesn't cost too much, maybe some exclusive artwork would be a good incentive too?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Zaepho posted:

Wait a few months and KDP or Ingram or somebody else will change something on you again.

ha, yeah, the reason this isn't well documented is because the workflow is constantly being tweaked by Amazon, and competitors. It sucks if you're navigating it for the first time, but it's better to have storefronts making changes than not, imo.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Does anyone here have experience advertising pre-orders? What platforms work?

I was thinking about throwing down on some cheapo facebook and Bookbub ads. Maybe A/B test some blurbs?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Leng posted:

I kind of half-assed mine and I regret it. What I did:

1. Post in some Facebook groups with my target audience and ask for beta readers
2. When the slots filled up, asked people to sign up for a mailing list to be notified about when the book came out
3. Set up a book page on my website
4. Once pre-order links were available and most of the info had replicated from IS to the major retailers, I posted an update in the Facebook group with a link to the book page

Platform will depend on your audience. I have not done ads yet, but will probably run some on Facebook and Instagram, which is where my customers hang out. I set up a Twitter account but it's mostly just to sit on the handle, I don't really post there.

I have heard from other forums that A/B testing blurbs using Facebook ads is a good way to refine what's working and what's not. I'll probably do that for my next book as well, though I think I'd use a small ad spend and funnel people to pre-order, then use the best performing blurb to run a bigger campaign on release week.

I did a bunch of ARCs as well, and so far, I'm not sure it's been worth the effort. We're nearly a month post release and I'm yet to see an actual review from any of them. I think if I were relying on ARCs to drive pre-orders, I would need to organize them a lot earlier than I did, and also get a definite agreement in place regarding the timing of their review. Likely the next time around, I'm going to reach out to different people for ARCs.

Sponsored giveaways are also popular in my niche, because of specialty book retailers. That's something I've got on my list for next time around.

I just split off people from my mailing list for ARCs. Just straight-up asked if anyone would like to volunteer, and said I'd take the first X number of people who responded. It has worked decently. ARCs are funny in that, you'd assume people who sign up for them would actually, like, download and read the book and leave a review, but a maximum of only about 50% of people actually *do* those things, ime.

Anyway, I guess I'll run some FB ads. I have a couple early reviews that I'm going to pull quotes from and put in the ad image.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

poo poo man, I forgot how useful canva is for making ads.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

okay so i've written/published 16 novels, i think? and with my newest series i'm finally getting proper audiobooks out. i'm very excited. I talked to my narrator for like an hour via zoom yesterday and hammered it all out. he really loves the book. i have a good feeling about this one, but we'll see. i think it's my best work (i always think my latest book is my best work).

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

i'm releasing a book tomorrow that has been through one editor, a dozen or so ARC readers, two proof-readers, and my narrator and I are still finding freaking typos!!!!!! ahhhhghghhghashdfhasd

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

i am now firmly in the "compulsively check sales and second guess every piece of marketing" phase of my launch day

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Leng posted:

That was me as well.

Does it ever get better with successive releases?

this is my 16th release, so no probably not haha

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

hoooo boy, lemme tell ya: if you're selling paperbacks, do NOT choose a 6 x 9 trim. Doing so will lower your page count on Amazon, and, as much as writing in an art form, there is still a value proposition that readers care about, and if they think your book is too short for the price, they ain't buyin'.

I switched from 6 x 9 trim, and a 192 page count, to 5 x 8 trim, and a more genre-appropriate 280 page count. it's been kind of a hassle with phone calls to KDP support, but I think the higher page count will make a big difference for me.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

so i worked with a producer/narrator to make an audiobook on ACX and I am so out of my element here. the audiobook is live, but i haven't the slightest clue how to promote or manage it, or even how to change the price.

jesus this is like publishing my first ebook all over again.

e: well! seems i can't change or set my price myself. i am suddenly feeling way less optimistic about audiobooks.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Hearing about the audio book stuff is pretty dang cool, too.

I've always thought about reading books on Youtube. Not sure if that is A Thing and my voice is probably too nasal, but it might be fun. Hearing about audiobook woes would be illuminating.

From the little bit of research i've done since yesterday, it seems like audio is very much where ebooks were like 6 or 7 years ago. things are still shaking out, there are a lot of players, and there aren't many options for marketing. right now it seems like my best marketing vehicle is my ebook's amazon page, since the audio book is listed there. i did sell 7 audiobooks yesterday, so that was cool.

some folks also recommended https://theaudiobookworm.com/ but i haven't looked too closely at that. i guess they do blog tours? im not a huge fan of blog tours.

anyway, i paid $2k for narration of this audiobook. i'm pretty dubious about it actually paying out, but i have a few more experienced colleagues who assure me audio is worth it, even with the high barrier for entry, and investment in more audiobooks for my series is worth the money. i mean, i can see that maybe they're right? the market for audiobooks is no where near as saturated as the ebook market, but making 40% off a $17.95 cover price means selling a lot of audiobooks before i come close to breaking even.

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 20, 2021

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

As much as I bellyache about the numbers for audio, I will say that as an author, hearing my book read out loud by a professional narrator helped me improve it. it was far easier to catch awkward phrasing or repetitious words when i had the manuscript open on my monitor and listened to the audio for proofing. that helped a lot.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

I wonder if a decent TTS program could work similarly, for a cheaper method.

probably. i know some people do that as a matter of course. I never have, but i'm thinking i should.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

oliveoil posted:

Can people make decent money self-pubbing now? I got the impression it became so competitive that one had to be willing to spend 60hrs a week writing smut for minimum wage.

yes, people can make decent money. i mean, if you want to write smut (i haven't) my impression is your impression is accurate. I know people who do, and they work like loving crazy, but its def better money than minimum wage.

i write mysteries and thrillers. i haven't quit my day job yet, but I could easily put 8+ hours a day into writing if the time were available to me. There is money in it, and over the last six years, i'm lucky enough to have met and worked with people who pull in bigger salaries than i've ever had.

tbh i'm not sure what prospects are like for someone who is 100% brand new to self-pubbing. is it competitive? yes. is it a ton of work? yes. You might swing at the ball a hundred times and never hit it out of the park, but you can certainly make an impact for yourself if you're patient, tenacious, and can set your ego aside long enough to make smart moves (personally, I still struggle with the ego bit).

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

i'm in KU because it is a significant moneymaker for me. probably 50% of my gross comes from KU page reads (right now ~$25-$40 a day). and based on the experiences of other authors in my genre, going wide doesn't really bridge that gap until you have more than 10 books published.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

also, people wanted to hear about audio. here's my take, 1.5 weeks after releasing my first solo audiobook:

if you can afford the up front costs, do audio. Audio books sell all on their own. I have had to put in 0 advertising for audio, specifically (i still advertise my ebooks) and audio is roughly an additional 30-50% of my daily gross royalities. getting people to buy audio has been 0 effort, and i'm seriously considering putting one or both of my backlist series into audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

LiterallyATomato posted:

Do you do the readings yourself or hire someone? Just curious.

And if you do it yourself, do you do the voices? You gotta do the voices, right?

i hire somebody. if I did it myself, the initial cost would be near zero, but yeah it's a shitload of work that i don't need.

plus a professional voice actor sounds a hell of a lot better reading my book than I would.