Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I've been standardizing my stuff for the last week or so and a few of mine got adult filtered as well, it looks like they were pretty much all because of the cover. Pretty much anything that shows any sort of skin gets the tag. I'm well beyond the point of caring about the stupid tag by this point but I'm going to keep that in mind for the rest of my stuff.

Ask them to take it off? It couldn't hurt if you feel like going through that hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
It's perfectly fine to solicit reviews from ARCs. It's super sketchy to demand positive reviews from them and Amazon will probably remove them? Not sure about that last part.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
PI was banned on Amazon several years ago so I wouldn't even bother (though some special snowflakes still snuck in). Actually using the Erotica subcategory is suicide for your story because it'll probably get auto-filtered.

More indepth discussion breaks the mod's rules about super-romance unfortunately.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

angel opportunity posted:

PI is not banned. :words:

Ah, well that explains the special snowflakes then.

All I know is that I had about six books get blocked in a week back in 2013 so v:shobon:v.

Roar fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 21, 2016

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
People have tried to do kickstarters for books but (and correct me if I'm wrong) they have failed pretty much every single time.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I love how I resubmit to smashwords the exact same way every time and half of them are accepted and the other half are not because of nitpicky bullshit literally no consumer in their right mind would care about~

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Tbh the 10,000 word thing I put out recently doesn't feel like 54 pages so shrug.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Hahaha! Here https://www.fiverr.com/bknights . Do the base $5 option, no frills. Depending on your genre it's good for 50-1000 free downloads.

Interesting.

Do they handle super-romance?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Maybe I'm not popular enough but I've never gotten that sort of poo poo for my writing errors, I've had mess-ups on my blurbs before for an embarrassingly long amount of time.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
So how exactly does it work? I'm thinking about using him for my next release, but he's got like 250 orders on his list. Do I just give him the :5bux: and tell him when I'm doing the promo or does he tell me when he can or what's the deal?

Five part-time years into this poo poo and I've never done any real sort of advertising like this and am weirded out at the though of it.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
My opinion*: The bubble of "put out a few words about people touchin' butts and make thousands of dollars" burst a little while ago. Unless you're already established, it's pretty hard to get anything even resembling a career unless you work super hard at it. There are plenty of success stories to be had and there is still money to be gotten but it's much more of an uphill battle than it used to be, particuarly since Amazon is determined to gently caress over authors at pretty much every opportunity and, like it or not, they're the big dogs. I've started treating this whole gig as a fun way to make some fun money every month and while I'm making a lot less money I'm a lot less stressed about this whole thing.

I just brought all my short stories back up to $2.99 last night because gently caress it, if I'm only selling a pittance anyways I might as well make 600% more per sale,

*my opinion has been noted to be poo poo from time to time, ymmv

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
As annoying as pedantic poo poo like that is, at least it's an alternative to 1-star reviews.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Google doesn't have anything worthwhile on that topic since some doomsday ebook prophecies from 2013, is there any new concrete basis for rumor?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Blue Scream posted:

Nope! Turns out when you use one of their promos (free days or Countdown Deals) within the first 3 days of enrollment, you lose the ability to opt out of Select. Cautionary tale, read the drat TOS twice and don't be dumb like me. :haw: Hope this helps somebody.

Oh, well yeah, that is kind of the equivalent of eating a couple of doritos before returning the bag :v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Maybe if enough people gently caress the system enough they'll get rid of KU.