Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

chthonic bell posted:

What's a decent indie editor going to cost? I don't mean a copyeditor, necessarily, but more story-structure, etc. editor.

Drop me a line at booksidemanner@gmail.com if you'd like to discuss. I can provide story structure, characterization, pacing, etc. feedback in addition to copyediting, and my rates are reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I just got a strange review for my collection of movie reviews. Apparently they aren't feminist enough, and my horror movie reviews need trigger warnings.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I don't write romance (I write contemporary, suspense, and mystery) but I've always maintained that my books would be a LOT shorter if characters gave an honest answer when asked, "How are you doing? Are you OK?"

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Non-genre fiction does not necessarily equate "zero sales." I have a stand-alone contemporary/literary novel that's sold several thousand copies, and I'm happy with that.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
That's good information. I'm going to try our writing a romance novella this year, and while I've read some in the genre, I could stand to learn more about it.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

This is comforting to hear. I must have misremembered a really old post or something.

Does anyone have recommendations for substantive editors? (i.e. not copyediting/proofreading, but more like "here is where your plot breaks down" stuff)

I do line editing as well as copyediting/proofreading. Here's my site: http://booksidemanner.com. You can email me at booksidemanner at gmail.com (I don't have a PM account here at SA).

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Congratulations, Yooper! :toot:

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Sales have been so in the tank the last couple weeks that I am seriously considering trying to get a free BookBub just to get some traction (I really hate the idea of giving stuff away, though).

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm going to go for it and try for a free BookBub for book 1 of my two-book suspense series. That seems like the best choice for a free promo (all my other books are stand-alones).

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

the brotherly phl posted:

Conversely, you wouldn't set a mafia romance in the deep rural south (or maybe you would? they're selling meth and our heroine is a busty yet naive waitress at a dive bar where the scary russians love to drink too much cheap vodka and look suddenly she's pulled into a dangerous world of violence and excitement and just loves his scary accent and how free he is with a bowie knife).

I'd read that.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Well, wish me luck. I've got a BookBub free promo next week. Never done a free promo with 'Bub before. Interested to see how it will shake out.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I've got four other books in my back catalog, one of which is a sequel to the book being promo'd. So at the very least I'll see some sales for that one.

Now I'm just getting antsy waiting for Amazon to price match. Thank God I switched to Draft2Digital for my non-Zon books.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
That's why I'm doing it way ahead of time.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah, I'd been having no luck getting paid Bub promos for some months now.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Whew! Amazon just price-matched my book that's scheduled for the free BookBub promo. I was worried it wouldn't happen on time and that I'd have to run the promo for just BN, iTunes and Kobo. OK, now I can relax a bit.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Jiminy Christmas. The book went free today and I've sold over 200 copies; that's with no promotion beyond twitter, my blog, and my FB page. Very intrigued to see what happens on Bub day.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
A slight bump in the road of my BookBub free promo. The price matching by Amazon didn't carry over to UK and Canada, so I'll have to leave those out. But everything else is good to go.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
OK, my free BookBub ran last week, and while I don't have all the figures in yet (still waiting for Kobo and BN), I had over 40,000 downloads. I've made enough off paid sales resulting from this promo so that I've already paid for the promo cost (even though I had to eat the cost of the UK and Canada promo because I screwed up the price matching). And I've gotten a few new reviews for the promo book on Amazon most of which have been four and five star (did have a one-star because of my cliffhanger ending but I'm used to those).

I am quite amazed.

Now my question is, is a free promo worth doing for a stand-alone? I realize I won't see the immediate sales of the next book in the series (which is what a lot of my sales now are) but I'm guessing there would be sales, I'd just have to wait longer for them.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Giving more weight to verified purchase reviews puts a ding in trying to bolster reviews by giving out free copies and ARCs. Interesting.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

ravenkult posted:

This has been discussed before, but if you can't get BookBub, what's the next best thing for a 0.99 sale?

Ereader News Today and Kindle Books & Tips both give decent return.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
If anyone needs proofreading or copyediting done within the next two weeks, I have one last slot open. All genres (and I do mean ALL genres) welcome. Send me an email at booksidemanner at gmail if you are interested.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
D2D is usually pretty quick about publishing things: 24 hours for everything but Barnes and Noble, which always seems to take 2 days. The holiday weekend is probably throwing a monkey wrench into things.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I have a question about CreateSpace expanded distribution.

Are expanded distribution sales reported as they happen? Or is it a weekly/some other time period thing?

I had several expanded distribution sales for one of my books appear all at once, and was curious if someone bought five copies at once, or if five different sales over a time period were reported then.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

ravenkult posted:

You should read more carefully. Editors get a line in the front matter and that's it. They don't get accreditation on the cover or on Amazon.

I'm an editor and am in full agreement with this. A line in the front matter and passing my name along to any writer you think would benefit from my services is all I want.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
The bad news (for me) is that I've had to cancel some August vacation plans.

The good news (for you) is that this opens up more availability this month for my editing services. Whether you need line editing, copyediting, or proofreading, just visit my site to learn more (http://booksidemanner.com) or email me at booksidemanner at gmail.com. I'm open to all genres and all story lengths.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Yesterday my movie review book made it to #1 in its (admittedly, very niche) nonfiction category. I am happy.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Nope, mine is "A Nerd Girl's Guide To Cinema." It was #1 in "Video Guides and Reviews". :toot:

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Sundae posted:

Sweet. Consider this another sale. :v: I'm always game for oddball movies.

Thank you! There's plenty of oddball stuff in there (like Death Bed: The Bed That Eats), so enjoy!

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
You can put links to the mailing list in the back matter of your books. Also, if you do a promotion with a blog (say, a book giveaway) people can get more opportunities to win if they sign up for the list.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Good news for book promotion. Pixel of Ink is now accepting submissions again, and they've partnered with BookSends. I once got picked at random to be on Pixel of Ink, and it was a great sales spike. They just took my submission for my literary/contemporary novel, so we'll see how it goes. Always nice to have another option for promotion.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I've found it's pretty difficult to sell hard copies. Chain stores won't touch self-pubbed work for the most part. Indies often will have a consignment program but you have to buy into it and I don't think I've ever made all my money back. Right now I only have physical copies in one store, which is in a tourist town that I visit a few times a year and where I'm on friendly terms with the owners.

That said, I always do print editions of my books, largely because I'm a dinosaur and print still feels more "real" to me. It's also handy to have print editions to hand out to reviewers, to use as prizes in raffles or giveaways, or to give as gifts to people. But it's a wee part of the profits. Ebooks are where I make all my money.

Also, some books lend themselves more readily to print editions. I always sell a few copies a month of my movie review book (most of it through extended distribution so I get hardly any money), as opposed to once-in-a-blue-moon for my novels.

As for merchandise, I make bookmarks featuring my covers, and give those to the indie bookstore that stocks my books. I also include some with giveaways, review copies, etc. PrintRunner is my vendor of choice. They have lots of templates to use (I am design-challenged) and the prices seem reasonable.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Had my first-ever Kindle sale in Japan! The only countries I still have to infiltrate are Italy, The Netherlands, Brazil, and Mexico.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I can't (well, actually I can) believe I'm already scheduling promo slots for Christmas (Kindle Books and Tips is currently booking through the end of the year).

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
It went smoothly for me when I did it back in June. When I sent the email to Amazon I mentioned that it would help generate more sales for the rest of the series.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
POI/Booksends has worked well for me, which is good because ENT seems to be losing its mojo and BookBub is so hard to get nowadays.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Sundae posted:

My wife's student loan is DEAD. :toot:

Congratulations!

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
If you're looking to get something ready for publication before the end of the year and need editing, I have slots available for November and December (barring Thanksgiving weekend and the week of Christmas). Services range from proofreading to line editing.

I'm open to all genres (yes, ALL genres) and story lengths. For rates and service information, visit http://booksidemanner.com or drop me an email at booksidemanner at gmail dot com.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Just wanted to point out that there's nothing like a typo or a misplaced modifier to ruin the mood of a super-romance story and that my editing services include that genre. Drop me a line at booksidemanner at gmail dot com for more information.

Hijinks Ensue fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 30, 2015

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Don't know about the rest of you, but I just smile when I get a sale here or there in some far-flung market. Just had a sale in Amazon Germany and my first-ever sale in the Netherlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah, I love Draft2Digital, but I miss looking at the Smashwords data and saying, "Ireland! I sold a book in Ireland!" or figuring out which province in Canada liked me best.