Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Elfforkusu posted:

What is behind the mountain's unrest? Is the dragon returning to reclaim its lair? And if it is: can she do anything to save her home?

Also, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Zratha posted:

I don’t think new authors trying our service is a waste of time – what is a waste of time is putting up a number of books for just a few weeks. Obviously I will be checking the blogs and forums and if you have defamed me you will be hearing from my solicitor with a very large claim for damages."

Keep me posted on this, ok?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

There is no way for us little fish to do this. Amazon doesn't have a system for us to generate book download codes (and certainly not for free).

'Bout the only place that does that is Smashwords.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

No Gravitas posted:

I'd like to self-publish.

Do I need to buy an e-book reader to test out my creation, or is there a good-enough simulator available so that I can see how well it works?

I'd be doing all the layout and formatting myself.

Amazon and B&N load up an in browser virtual kindle where you can thumb through it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

There's no limits on updating your book. It will not affect ranking if you're just updating and republishing (IE keeping the same ASN). Each time you republish it has to be approved. Depending on your genre, this could be a dice roll on getting an Amazon employee who thinks your chupacabra gangbang epic should be adult filtered.

It's also worth noting that you can update the blurb of your book through AuthorCentral. This has the advantage of happening pretty much instantly and not going through republish or review. This will overwrite changes you make through KDP later, however. So once you change a blurb via AC, you need to continue updating it through AC.

I am really interested in this, how exactly do you update a blurb on author central? I hate waiting days for a simple "If you like this book check out this new release" to show up.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Just click on a book in your list of books. Then you should see a button to edit the product description. Take not that you cannot use all the HTML tags that you can in the KDP system. And it can add in extra line breaks sometimes. So just check your book's page after you make the change.

Edit: Looks like the first batch of Kindle Scout books have been selected.

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/selected

8 books, no Romance. I'm surprised by that.

Awesome thank you!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Are they still topping it up with seed money to keep it viable for authors/publishers?

I just got this email

We have continued to see strong response from customers to Kindle Unlimited (KU) and are adding a bonus of $3.5 million to the previously announced base fund amount of $3 million, bringing the total fund to $6.5 million for the month of November.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Ghostwoods posted:

Just got an email from Amazon saying that they'd noticed that I had a book on sale somewhere else for less than they had it at -- and I had five days to make the prices match, or they'd pull it.

I guess the old days of price-matching are pretty much done.

Whaaa? Oh crap!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Roar posted:

I have pretty much been ignoring Kindle Select for a long time because god forbid I give the Amazon monster exclusivity, I might miss out on the $100/month I get from b&n every month!

I too, though, have dropped 75% on my sales and am pretty anxious to try new things and by golly if people aren't actually partaking in same of my new stories via select borrows. I'm a bit confused though - from the way I understand it, do select books get paid out a set amount regardless of the book price? Ie my .99 stories get paid out the same as the 2.99s?

Set amount regardless of the book price.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

People who don't have unlimited can still buy your book so yes set a price that will sell too. You will have a line graph that tracks both.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

laxbro posted:

My first month isn't over yet, but I'm pleasantly surprised. Wish I had taken my stories off my blog and thrown them into an ebook earlier. Working (slowly) on the next collection of short stories now, and hope to get a full length YA thriller out in time for Halloween.

I also hope to flex my rapidly growing email subscription list better next time. Kind of screwed up with this book by setting it at .99 and just asking my email list to buy it even though they had already read all the stories since they were previously posted on my blog. On the next book I will set it to free next time and ask them to review it!

What do you have book report's borrow price set at?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

That makes sense. I have about 10x as many borrows but I always set it at $1.00 so I'm pleasantly surprised (hopefully) when they announce the real rate. Last month was 1.36 but I think book report's default was 1.40 something.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

EngineerSean posted:

Brent Spiner: Computer, run a di-spectral analysis of themes within 21st century literature. Restrict to books which ranked within the top 1000 of all books at the time.

Majel Barret-Roddenberry: Processing...

The top results involve busty women who are ravaged by packs of werewolves.

Riker: Computer, route some examples to holodeck 2.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

Be careful with reciprocal borrowing, Amazon has been getting cranky about that lately.

I agree completely.

I know an author who had every book unpublished, amazon account blocked, and the $6000+ earned in previous months but not remitted canceled. The reason given from Amazon was "reciprocal borrows". Be very, very careful in any genre trading borrow for borrow with another author. Amazon is very intuitive in detecting when it happens even months after the fact.

It also skews your data meaning the organic sales that you want would be muddled with the ones you traded for.

I'm not going to tell someone how to do their thing but if you want to make $$$ of this, please don't jeopardize a a big source of revenue for a few quick dollars.

Or go ahead and do it, I'm not your mother.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Oh boy! A whole farthing.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Popular Human posted:

Holy poo poo. Okay, I'm definitely taking all the old poo poo I wrote on my OG penname and bundling it. How much are you guys putting the bundle price at? 99c, since all of the money is coming from borrows?

I'm thinking of doing this too, but at 9.99. I still see good money from sales and don't want to lose that to earn a bunch of page reads. The price won't matter to KU readers, and at 43 books it's still a steal for someone who buys it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Sundae posted:

Sure- sending you a pile of stuff then!

I hate to be a Johnny-jump-on but can I get this too? I have a 220,000 word mega-collection of my romance shorts that I'm in the process of publishing soon and would do anything to bump its sales/page reads up. I don't have the PMs but my email is my username at yahoo.com

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Halbey posted:

Since we're talking about audiobooks - has anyone tried making one?

Are you asking about making them as in recording them yourself or making them as is having it done by a producer?

I have 30+ audiobooks out and have always done royalty share. Part of the appeal is that I get extra money for work I've already done without having to do any additional effort.

It isn't huge money compared to KU, but it is like free car payment each month.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

This makes me miss the old times when all we talked about were rape monsters and billionaire werewolves.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Bardeh posted:

No, there's still money to be made, especially in romance. Great money, if you get things right. It's just that when we all started, you could be making really decent money within a month, just from writing erotic shorts. That's not true anymore, due to the way Kindle Unlimited is now structured. You can actually still make money from shorts in KU, but you're far more reliant on boxed sets - the individual stories just don't make enough on their own. It takes longer to ramp up your income, and there's more uncertainty.

Romance novellas and novels can still be very lucrative though, you just need to do your research. Make sure you know which genres are hot, and what readers are looking for within those books. Read a bunch over a week or two, and take note of what sells and what doesn't. I would start off with 25k word serials in Stepbrother/bad boy Alpha male or paranormal romance, and try to aim for one a week. Bundle them up, make or pay for awesome covers ($30-$50 each), and book lots of promotion. Be willing to spend money on promotion, it's pretty much required these days.

Keep your story simple - don't try and think up anything too crazy or unique to make the book stand out, because romance readers are, on the whole, people that like to consume the same thing over and over and over until they get bored and move onto the next trend. Follow the trends, write to them, cash in.

This is very, very accurate advice.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Sundae posted:

http://www.hotnewbooks.com

We're romance only right now, and minimum 20K+ word counts (novella-length). Free until our new web overhaul goes through next month. We're also having a huge promo drive next month which will probably seriously increase our (already decent) efficacy.

What about 50 shorts turned into a 211,000 word bundle?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Popular Human posted:

So did anybody else get an e-mail from KDP telling them there was a "technical error that caused your October US royalty payment to be delayed"? Apparently I'm getting it on November 2nd. Wondering if its just something that's hit me or if its a larger KDP error.

Yeah I got it. Lots of people on another forum I go to for writers got it too.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

angel opportunity posted:

EX-Bf is going to be an arsonist named FLYNT

Hero firefighter should be named Harden Steel.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

How about Teddy Steel?

I guess only you can come up with a good name for a bear that prevents fires.

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 5, 2015

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

My sales the last couple days have been poor. Here is hoping a new release right after Christmas will pick things up.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Today is the best day Ive had in a looooooooooooooooooong time. Thanks to my free book, yo.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I didn't, is there anything weird on your payments tab? Direct deposits that didn't go through or anything?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I know this is small time for some of the people here, but 12,000 pages read so far today for me is a LOT. Plus sales and audiobooks I'm at $100.00 today (if it stays at .00492). A few more days like this and I have my rent paid.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

My sales are lovely today.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Silvyfox posted:

My first full romance novel is out now, and it's pinged me a good bit in reads, though sales are slow. This morning, I was yelled at in chat by my friends, who opened their Amazon emails to see my book.

I'm very pleased with this. Writing to niche works, guys. You gotta do it like the pros do if you wanna see the money. Thanks so much to all the people dropping advice in the thread. I've been at this since 2012, with long stretches of inactivity because the smut boom was lucrative, but draining.

I like romance a whole lot better, and it's a whole lot more profitable. People seem to think it's good, too.

Now to write the sequels and churn out a bundle.

How many words is your novel?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Silvyfox posted:

I am just shy of 60k, with the back matter I think it puts it at 66k. (I added an excerpt of another novel I wrote last year that didn't quite make it to maybe drum up some interest.)

Sweet! I'm doing my longest right now at 50 thousand. It takes way longer than my 8k ones.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, I was estimating .0045. whoops.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I got a couple thousand free give-aways the day before Valentine's with no promotion. I just figured if there was a day when sad sacks were looking for a distraction, February 13 was the day. I also tossed Valentine's into the keywords a week before.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Hey does anyone know how long it takes Amazon to update KENPC page count when you upload a new manuscript?

I put a few extra chapters in a book, originally was going to be in the sequel but it worked better in the first one, uploaded the new manuscript and published. It said it was live with updates publishing, then got the email saying it was published, but the KENPC on the promotions page and length (where it shows estimated pages for buyers) is the same. Been like that since Sunday night, is there a delay for that?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Yay! I was estimating $.004 so $.00478 is going to mean an extra $500.00 I my pocket. I'm still leaving book report at .004 tho for March.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Popular Human posted:

Did anyone else just get a bunch of Amazon money deposited into the account they use for KDP, like four days early?

Normally I wouldn't be concerned, but the #s don't quite match up to either of the amounts I'm expecting on my two pen names - it's about half as much as the smaller, second one.

Did you get everything but the US money?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

A cross with nunchucks hanging off it, a couple throwing stars stuck in it...

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I emailed you too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Got a god drat one star on my new book right out of the gate. I looked and the jerk gives almost everything a one or two star. Jerk.