Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Bookside does good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
If you don't engrave your wax tablets with a bronze stylus that's money left on the table.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I'd wait at least a month between releases. You get a discoverability boost for the first 30 days or so, and longer you have a book in that grace period, the better.

I just publish as soon as I'm done.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Wattpad?

Livejournal?

Medium?

Tumblr?

Blogspot?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Advice is pretty much the same. Write series. Audiences skew older, so older protagonists may be a good idea. There's no magic bullet, though, and the audience demands something that could have been predicted but isn't. Or at least mine does.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I tried writing a romance novel once. Turned into a cyberpunk thriller without so much as a romantic subplot.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
My current book is aaaaalll about climate refugees in the next decade or so.

Also my Amazon sales have tanked but my Apple sales are way up.

Sales on Kobo remain a fond memory.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Escape Addict posted:

This is a wonderfully informative thread! I'm curious about pen names and anonymity. Do you guys make Facebook pages and Twitter accounts for all your different pen names? Different websites for different pen names? Your pen name is like your brand, right?

How many of you publish stuff without your friends and family knowing about it? I find the idea of keeping my real name/personal life separate from a writer persona to be very sensible.

I used different pen names for different genres as a marketing thing back in 2011, but the questionable benefit doesn't really justify the massive time investment in maintaining multiple platforms. I really don't bother trying to separate my writer persona and real life, because man, all I do is write anyway. Now I just use variations on my name and funnel everything through the same mailing list/website/twitter/facebook.

I think that if I were to try and edge into romance I'd use a pen name for that, because I'm insecure about my ability to write romance as anything other than a subplot, and would not want whatever clumsy trash that resulted associated with the clumsy trash I write on purpose.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Man, look.

When I started this in 2011 I was basically homeless and hadn't found steady work in two years, scraping by freelancing and living on people's couches. Temp agencies weren't calling me back, and I didn't really have a lot of other prospects. I just wrote stuff, published it, and then wrote more stuff. There wasn't even any decent advice because nobody knew why anything was working yet. But I had a lot of free time because I was unemployed.

I'm still broke all the time but I'm not homeless and I don't have a day job. Just write a poo poo-ton, don't worry about marketing until you've got a catalog to market. The more stuff you've got out there, the more it benefits from every dollar or hour you spend marketing.

Or maybe that advice is stale now, I don't know. If you don't have the money, spend time. If you don't have the time, spend money. If you don't have either, maybe you're not at a point where this is an economically viable option for you - start writing, start publishing, just to get some content out there and start brand-building for when you do have the resources available.

Or get lucky. I hear that works wonders, too.

psychopomp fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 1, 2017

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
My Apple sales have been outperforming Amazon the last few months.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Picked up a few "best of 2016" short fiction collections. Trying to write more saleable shorts this year, so decided to do some market research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I tried both in the days of yore, 2011-2012. Sales were weak either way, at least compared to novels.

These days I'd rather just submit them to magazines, then later collect them and sell an anthology almost as an afterthought, without expectation of much in the way of sales.