Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm tentatively offering editing services. I have a few years experience but it's been mostly for acquaintances. If you could throw that up in the OP, that'd be cool. I got plat if you need to contact me. Also do eBook formatting and print layouts, but you knew that.

Time to steal some of Max's clients. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Tell us your cover budget :unsmigghh:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I can't decide. One one hand it's kinda retro-looking, on the other hand the title font and background is kinda janky looking. I like the dude though.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm gonna say add a warm filter to the background to give it a tint and change the color (if not also the font) of the title. Keep the author name as is.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Kicklighter posted:

Could I get some thoughts on the cover art,

It ain't pretty.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Getting reviews is a bitch. No matter if I offer ARCs, other ARCs for reviews of previous books or whatever, nothing seems to work.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

There's room to write the poo poo you want, even in selfpub. Not everyone is making a living writing. If you wanna write something and you don't mind that it won't sell too well, write it.

I mean I don't think my horror comedy has a huge audience but I'm not abandoning it to write romance.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Do they actually have distribution? Because everything else sounds like poo poo you can do on your own, especially if you're paying half for printing.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

If you post this dumb poo poo I'm sending you right now, it's defamation and thus I will sue you.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I kickstarted a magazine, but that's about it.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

On one hand I think my KS should have had a higher goal. I wanted to have a low goal to at least get the thing made, but I might have shot myself in the foot by doing that. It did get funded to 146% but realistically I was aiming for at least 200%.

On the other hand, I got the thing made and there was a bit of money left over because we didn't have to pay for the stretch goals we had planned. Perhaps we could have gotten the best of two worlds if my initial goal was double what it was and we had no stretch goals, but who knows.

My 2 bits.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

AgentCooper posted:

General Question: It sounds to me like the all-important blurb is really similar to what you'd try to send agents in a query letter, minus maybe the bio info and word count/genre descriptors. If I had a decent letter (resulting in multiple partial requests at the very least) would it be stupid to use it as the blurb?

Also, forgive me for being a dumbass, but I've read a lot of this thread and I can't seem to find any more suggestions for editors other than the two listed in the original posting. Is there anyone out there who really likes to do sci fi? (And I'm a goon who can actually pay a good chunk of change for this).

I'm doing editing these days, if you're interested. I run a small publishing house and I've done some freelancing on the side, mostly spec fic. The guy I recommended to other goons in this thread before is Max Booth III (he's in the OP) and he's good too.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

All Else Failed posted:

More questions, apologies.

How does one sort which titles are by indie authors and which are simply electronic versions of print authors? Just by looking at the print price being crossed out under some titles?

Indie authors can be in print too. Check lower down on the page, where the wordcount is, what it says under ''Publisher.''

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

All Else Failed posted:

Excellent. Although I keep seeing page counts instead of word counts. :saddowns:

Yeah, I misspoke. Page count it is.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Are we still talking about erotica? Making money writing erotica is ''easy'' in my book (depends on how much money you're looking to make) and I can see a complete noob starting to make money immediately (in the tune of like, 50$ a month) until they get their feet under them and learn more about the industry and the craft.

If we're talking anything else, whether romance or horror or fantasy or whatever, there's absolutely no way you'll sell a single copy going in blind. You need to know your genre, you need to know the competition, you need to read and yeah, most importantly, you gotta write. But I mean, either you're well read already in your genre and all that's left to do is poo poo your rear end down and writer, or you have a long, long way ahead of you.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Get to the erotica subreddit, read up, start writing yesterday (I don't actually know if the subreddit is any good, but hey, it's a place to start).

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Seriously, that's the most stereotypical "bad writer who doesn't know they're bad" line ever. There is no such thing as an "innately gifted writer", there's writers who have practiced and writers who haven't. Maybe you got good marks in high school Creative Writing, but who didn't? Throw a few polysyllabic words and a tortured metaphor in there and it's an instant A+.

You become good at writing by writing, not by having a *** SPECIAL SOUL ***.

Writing makes you better, but talent is a thing. I mean I've only probably written like 20 stories in my life, but I sold 7 of them and it's not because I've written 500 000 words or something (No, I'm not saying I have innate talent or whatever, just that some ''get'' writing faster than others).

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

EngineerSean posted:

I feel you on the "regretted hitting this as hard as I could right away" thing. I first saw the erotica thread at the end of 2011, wrote my first story in February 2012 and it bombed, so I didn't go back to it until July and I saw a bunch of people making thousands. In August I really threw myself at it, and now I'm a rock star. If you commit to this and also pray to the lord Jesus Christ every day, there's no limit to how high this will take you (seriously, I really am at the point where I think there is no limit).

Do you post anywhere else? Blog? I'd like to learn more poo poo.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

magnificent7 posted:

So then, when you absoutely HAVE to use "she kidded" it means something.

Don't ever write this.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Honestly, there has to be something that explains how a lot of people can keep writing and reading, yet continuing to suck at writing forever. Is it just because they have no self reflection or they don't listen to feedback or what, 'cause that poo poo's spooky.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I don't want to poo poo on you, but your posts are devoid of value at this point. Just white noise. How about you go away and come back once you've written something or need some practical advice?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Over at my premade cover store, everything is 50% off the list price (Code: FIFTY). They're going fast, but quite a few left still. Valid until the end of the year.

http://store.ravenkult.com/

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm writing the forbidden stuff these days, but I'm also writing some short stories, on the serious side. I keep getting really close to some great magazines, but never getting in. Hopefully some new stories will break the streak.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Sundae posted:

All ye 160,000-word epic fantasy writers, burn this post into your mind and repeat it every night before you go to bed. Your cover is important.

Edit: This might be a new record. I put in a price-change request over 48 hours ago and it's still in review. So much for hitting that Friday promo I wanted. :(

I've been waiting 2 weeks for a cover change. There's a ''technical error.''

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Yeah, go buy my poo poo.

I just finished this card game project and now it's finally back to writing and editing. Pretty soon I'll have enough stories for a collection, but self publishing a horror collection feels like the most futile of endeavors.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

PoshAlligator posted:

You think so? I don't know much about the short story market but horror short stories is probably the short story genre I buy the most of. Something about it just fits that format I think.

They are notorious for selling badly, except maybe if your audience is used to it (Lovecraftian stuff is usually short form so Laird Barron for example, does okay). It's not easy to market a single author collection because the reader doesn't know what he's buying. Unless you're well known (Barron, again) and people know what to expect, nobody has any idea what your themes are, what kind of stories you're writing.

That's my take anyway.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I did the EIN thing last year and that worked easily enough. This new stuff looks complicated.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

If you have stories and they ain't poo poo, submit to paying magazines. You'll make a lot more that way for sure, plus you can selfpub them afterwards anyway.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

They all look terrible, at first glance (I hope none of them belong to any of you).

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Quit trying to take the man down, he's a precious author flower, he just needs room to grow. Right after poopsocking his way through LoL.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I wish he'd go to the Writing thread tbh. They'll eat him alive.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I don't think my lowest selling is even at 5 a month and I'm just a chump with 7 stories out.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

They still haven't fixed my cover changes and I'm not sure what to do about it.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

After waiting for a month for Amazon to fix my covers, they came up with an elegant solution to this very complicated technical issue: Upload the covers again.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Possibly relevant to the conversation:

http://www.thebookseller.com/futurebook/honeymoon-over-ku-comes-between-amazon-and-self-publishers

H. M. Ward apparently labels KU as destroyer of self publishing, points out unfair payment structure of KU.

Article seems to go overboard with the death of Amazon, but I was interested in what you lot think - especially about the 'subscribe to author' idea everyone seems to be throwing about, and the accusations that paying everyone from the same pot is ludicrous / unfair.

Chuck Wendig posted something similar about the KU the other day, grossly misrepresenting the situation, as usual.

As far as I know most people are pretty happy with the subscription thing. You're not losing sales, you're incentivizing people to grab your book who might otherwise have balked at the price. They're paying 9.99 per month, but as far as they're concerned, your book was free. Are you sure they'd have bought it if it wasn't?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

You know, I'm not cool with calling returns ''stealing.'' I mean if you get a shitload of returns I bet you get pissed off after a while, but there are a lot of lovely books out there I wish I could return (I never have, I usually forget).

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

My return percentage is pretty low, so I haven't had reason to worry, since you're asking. I just find it weird that people get upset about something just because with digital, it's a bit easier to do (arguably). People return books all the time in actual stores and nobody has ever said ''Oh what are we going to do about these thieves'' before. Now there's a thread on Kboards once a week.

The internet makes people crazy.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I don't have a dog in this fight either way, but I've always wondered why they didn't just implement some system based on how far into the book someone has read, since they evidently have ways of tracking that.

I don't see how saying, for example, "If you've read at least 50% of this book, you can't return it" would be all that unfair. It's kind of like eating at a restaurant: if you take one bite and send it back, cool. If you eat half of a steak and then decide you don't like it, you probably aren't going to get it comped.

That lets people return a book if they have second thoughts or read a few pages and realize it's not for them while filtering out the people that are buying a book, reading the entire thing, and then returning it. I kind of doubt the latter group is even a large enough subset of the purchasing population to worry about, but who knows. I suppose it would still be a potential issue for really short books (so erotica, basically?) where a couple pages constitutes 50%, though.

Hard to track. You could have just accidentally or on purpose skipped a few chapters forward.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Are Kindle children's books selling at all? Is that even a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I've been meaning to do one (your assumption was correct, I'm talking about picture books) for a while, and I guess it's more of a hobby rather than a serious project. I'll probably run it for free a lot or go permafree.