Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Bardeh posted:

I do :shrug: All my old stuff is wide and still makes me $500-600 a month pretty reliably. If I was still writing erotica, I'd put it all in KU for the inital term and then rotate it all out wide after 90 days. B&N in particular doesn't see the dropoff that Amazon does. I have four year old erotica shorts there that still sell month after month, year after year.

I was asking Popular Human, but yeah, for sure. I just can't get any traction on Amazon (then again, I never had and I missed the KU boat anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

It ain't bad, city looks a tad generic, maybe needs some kind of filter to jazz it up a bit. Title font could be better.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Honestly just quit and write about vampires loving werewolves. Not vice versa tho.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I just use what D2D spits out.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Long time no see, selfpub thread.

I'm still making covers and I'm currently running an indiegogo campaign where I'm doing a cover a day and licensing them for use. Drop by and grab a deal: https://igg.me/at/30bookcovers

On the writerly front, would a genre short story collection be a good candidate for self publishing?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Bardeh posted:

I'm not sure if February was the best month to choose for this project (sorry, I had to. Your art is fantastic though!)

Probs, but I didn't wanna wait for...March? May? I don't know what month is good.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Bardeh posted:

It's just that your project says 'I'm creating 30 covers in 30 days for the month of February' but February only has 28 days :q:

God drat it. Yeah it was planned for a different month but I was busy then.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Pantothenate posted:

I literally just finished cobbling together the gizzards of my first novel, and I like your art style, but there's nothing that fits my book (yet). However, I do have a quick question: Is the indiegogo for just the illustration, or would it include typography and spine/back cover design?

Paperback design is included.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I also have a Bookbub going today, hopefully it does slightly better.

https://www.bookbub.com/books/american-nightmare-by-max-booth-iii-and-tim-marquitz?ebook_deal

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Daric posted:

Where can I find a cover design template that's trustworthy?

Who hurt you

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I love everything but the train. Too clean. Also not that interesting visually.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Duuk posted:

Edit: Enough of that, do you think the cover is alright?

Nope.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'll partly disagree with freebooter here out of principle. The advice has been a staple in the self publishing world since forever and it's probably a good one in certain genres, for certain writers, for certain people.

If you're trying to make sales at $0.99 and in genres like romance or thrillers, you probably want the more generic thing as possible. Emulate successful books in your niche as much as possible, to signify to your audience ''Hey this is another of those you like.'' The readers that stick to niches a lot buy and read a lot of books, so you're liable to get their money. I'm personally against this, because art and homogeneity doesn't mix in my book, but hey, if you want to make money I guess you need to do this.

If you're writing other genres or niches, this advice may or may not apply. Horror for example is such a shitshow of bad covers, I doubt there's any specific signifier for the genre. Maybe some lovely CGI monster or a black cover with red text. Then again the horror top 100 is mostly small press and established writers, not very many selfpub superstars, probably because horror isn't that hot a genre.

The thing is I started writing a whole bunch of stuff but realized I misread your post: You only say you want the cover to evoke '50s monster movies, but didn't say if your book is a '50s monster movie type book. In which case I end up agreeing with freebooter: If your book isn't a homage to monster movies, don't imply so on your cover. You're better off finding the closest niche it fits into and seeing what they do with their covers.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

It looks too zoomed in so to speak. Wolf and moon smaller will give it more room to breathe.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

I asked this in the business thread, but I think I might get more interest here.

Where does one find freelance editors? I'm hoping there's some kind of magical search engine where I can plug in genre, length, and audience and get a list of people. (Also I'm rapidly realizing that may not exist.)

For those of you that work in multiple genres, do you have different editors for each?

There are goons here that edit, including me.

You can try Reedsy, look for people with reviews.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Ccs posted:

Ebooks are easy! The cover artist I used wants me to do a physical version of my book because a lot of people are asking him if they can get his art in print, but messing with the set up of the paperback is super intimidating. Also I only commissioned front cover art so I'd have to make something for the spine and back cover and it would not match his quality, and he's busy with commissions for the next 1.5 years.

:shrug: So ebook only for now.

What does the cover look like? It might be easy to expand it into the back.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Switch romance and erotica.
Milscifi above sci-fi probably.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

DropTheAnvil posted:

Thanks everyone! I slept on it, and edited it a bit more. Are there any rules/advice on having "Comp titles" in your blurb? ((See first paragraph))

For fans of speculation fiction and Apex Magazine comes a debut collection of short stories that focuses on the human struggle during dark times.
Two immortal thieves scour the night, each desperately trying to create a legacy. A wayward child searching for his grandma travels through time to the family reunion, only to encounter past consequences. A sentient TV tries to save its owner, despite its programming.
Each of these five short stories explores unique characters and how they struggle in their bleakest moments. In the end they will learn that even in the darkest of times, the light shines through.

You already got some good advice and blurbs for collections aren't easy to do well, but I gotta chime in:
The first part of the description for the stories is far more interesting than the second part, because you're trying not to give any spoilers while building suspense. This doesn't really work as others pointed out because saying ''consequences happen'' isn't saying much. Lean instead on atmosphere/imagery. There's no need to provide a synopsis of the stories, you just need to sell them.

Also agree with previous poster about mentioning Apex Magazine.
1. Apex doesn't have a big readership to begin with and a big chunk of its readers are other writers.
2. It publishes a lot of authors so it doesn't really say much about your book besides ''It's sorta spooky dark fantasy stories.''

Just pick an author you think your readers might also like instead.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

newts posted:

Leng, I’m enjoying (sort of?) reading about your struggles. Very informative, if daunting.

I’m also thinking about covers. Considering drawing my own for my crappy novel, even though illustrated covers are not the genre convention. Unless it’s a book featuring a witch protagonist in a cozy mystery, which mine is not. I realize that’s probably shooting myself in the foot. Maybe I’ll just draw it and see if I hate it.

What's the genre?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

DropTheAnvil posted:

Would I be completely crazy if I asked any of these pre-design cover places to mock up a cover like the above?

This isn't a good cover though.

What kind of a book / what genre is it?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'd make the title smaller, it's crowding the artwork. Or just move it down a bit and put the author name up top. I wouldn't let the title go higher than where the raincoat ends.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Using Word for layout is an exercise in futility.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Dream Weaver posted:

Meanwhile I have an artist but he wants $1,000 for the cover.

Let us see!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Throw in another one for "With a budget of $1000 you can do much better."

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

The complaints were more about the binding or ink blogs. I guess it might depend on which printer they use for your book in particular?

I am in a country with relatively cheap printers actually. Nearly all of the domestic books including those by small organizations or clubs are "Printed and bound in (here)". Your idea about offset printers makes me wonder if that might not be the way to go.

Your local printer will have a digital printing option for paperbacks and if you care about quality I'm sure they'll be happy to offer you different card stocks for a higher quality final product. You can print as little as 100 copies.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Put the title on the chest, make byline bigger, subtitle smaller.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Why are you stuck with Google fonts?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

leper khan posted:

Burn $N getting to the top of the list. Hope you get more than $N gross revenue. At $10/per, you're netting $7/per. So you need to sell more than N/7 to make money.

They're on KU, a single bot can "read" hundreds of your books and you get the pennies per page.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Just for the record in case it's not clear from the tweets,it was pure AI, since they supplied the raw file with layers still named midjourneysoandso.png.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Leng posted:

Negative; that was the proof being faked to create WIP that deceived non artists into thinking it was comprehensive when it's was laughably not.

Final file was entirely MJ assets only, their arrangement and typography.

Yeah, I've seen the .psd myself. Same "artist" also tricked another writer in a similar fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

It really only is hard to tell what is AI for a layman, it's very obvious if you're an artist, in my opinion.