Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

I need to read that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

RedTonic posted:

- didn't realize my Scrivener saves were not going to the google drive anymore.

FYI - Scrivener does not play well with Google Drive. Literature and Latte, the folks who make it, used to have a warning post about it. I had a similar issue where a weeks worth of writing just disappeared from Google Drive.

I've had no issues with Dropbox.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

RedTonic posted:

I never saw that post. :sad: Probably would have saved me some stress. Have you used the mobile sync option on Scrivener?

Nope! I'm on a writing hiatus right now while I wrap up some health issues.

I assume it's for the new mobile version of Scrivener? I despise writing on mobile devices so I probably won't try it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

simplefish posted:

A friend of mine has written a series of children's books. He just got scammed by a New York-based 'publisher'

I suggested self-publishing on Amazon, but do people even borrow/buy kids books on there?

Also he's in his 50s, is not tech savvy, and doesn't have an account. He's willing to pay for advice so if any of you could distill the thread advice into an easy-to-follow flow chart I'm sure he'd sort you out with some money

Childrens books as in picture books, or picture books with text, or just text?

Amazon has a specialty program for doing picture books / comics but I have zero experience with it. Anytime I try to add photos everything looks like poo poo. I'd have him browse Amazon for similar books and see where his niche is at for average sales rank. The one category I drilled down is filled with trad-pub books and the recently published self-pub is all in the 600k plus range.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ahh nope, was responding to the childrens book query.

I'm sure there is a 600k word mil scifi book out there. But, even in that niche, no one would buy it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mirage posted:

I've never self-published before, and I think it may be the way to go for the fantasy book I'm writing now, but I have a situation. It's actually a fairly long book, probably clocking in at 120,000 words in edited form, which (a) is divided into three approximately equal parts and (b) ties up its own story but doesn't actually resolve the overarching plot, i.e. is the first book of a potentially long-running series.

Do you guys think it might get the hype train rolling faster to publish each "part" as a separate e-book, maybe one every few weeks (and how far apart should I do it)? Each part is fairly different in tone (setup -> rising action -> resolution) and while I think each part is interesting, they're all interesting for different reasons. I worry that some readers may read part one, think "ehh, not for me" and stop reading before it gets to the bits maybe they would like.

Semi-related question: Has anyone ever tried selling an omnibus edition of their earlier stuff, and how'd that work for you?

While I haven't published fantasy, just scifi, I do know that people have a higher page count expectation in fantasy. Judging from the top lists I'm not seeing serials. This is a good judge, if your niche isn't doing it already, you probably don't want to pioneer it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

These are the same people who see Tupperware/partylite/pyramid scheme sales as a viable way to make money at home. Why try and sell a product in a store when you can guilt your friends and neighbors into buying it?

Also whatever algorithm change Amazon made is working quite well for me. Though I'm sure that'll change with the next algo...

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

jazzyjay posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRZA23Y

I've been following the advice from this thread when launching EBB TIDE and its worked brilliantly. Everything worthwhile I learned about KDP I've got from this thread (big shoutouts to Sundae and AO) so I thought I might weigh in on the advertising talk and share my experience.

Although I have two books already on Amazon, these were not launched properly and did the old sink-without-a-trace. So, effectively EBB TIDE was launching as a first novel.

I wrote EBB TIDE during Nanowrimo and wanted to launch on Christmas Day. Its a post apoc zombie with a female protag, marketing it towards women sailors. I was posting daily chapters on a blog while writing it as a way of drumming up interest, which worked nicely to build a mailing list and getting ARCs lined up.

I've spent $350 on advertising and launch, using a combo of broad scifi mailing lists and targeted Facebook ads.

I pubbed on 20th and emailed my ARC mailing list a reminder to post reviews. My advertising was due to kick off on 25 Dec. I had emailed a bunch of mailing lists asking if I could book an ad before the book was published - I booked ads in booksends.com ($25), bargainbooksy.com ($35) & manybooks.net ($25). I also bought an author profile interview on manybooks - it cost $49, pricey but I wanted to have a third-party interview up for anyone googling about the story, as way of making myself seem more legit.

Between 20-25 Dec (ie before any ads went live) it sold 90 copies. Why? I don't know - maybe it was a knock on effect from the blog promo... or I smashed the keywords or something.

Booksends and Manybooks went off on 25th of Dec. I sold 89 copies that day.
Bargainbooksy went off on 26th - sold 69.

Booksends and Manybooks newsletters only featured a few books and I felt they worked well, whereas I felt my book got lost in a long list on Bargainbooksy.

After wasting about $100 on Facebook ads, I settled down to a two ads, targeting Australian and US women sailors, budgeting at $15 a day. Per click cost worked out to be between 15-30c. No idea how many click throughs get converted to sales though...

ereadernewstoday.com wouldn't let me book an ad unless I had 10 4+star reviews... when I got them, I booked an ad for $30. That one went off on NYE, when I sold 110 copies - so pretty happy with that.

All in all, I've sold over 500 copies since 20Dec, which I'm totally stoked about. Highest sales rank was #1750 and its been hanging around #2-3000, putting it at #5-7 on Sea Stories and around the #40s in Post Apoc.

I'm keeping the price at 99c as I just want sales - as I'm now working on the 2nd in the series and hope I can play the long game here! But even at 0.99c, and including KENP, I've recouped the money I spent on ads, so it was definitely worth the effort to launch properly.

So thanks once again guys - there's no way this could have happened without the advice and experience on display in this thread.

That's a good post and a good way to start the new year. You've got another sale from me. Bravo!

Rock on boat goon. I sold mine a few years ago, still miss it and the dream.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

angel opportunity posted:

What would need to happen for a really good OP to this thread would be someone like Yooper posting a detailed write-up of how he sells/markets his military scifi stuff. Then if we have an actual successful "guy in fedora fighting ctuhlhu" author, that author would need to do a writeup as well. Every few months we'd have to get those write-ups updated, as what works changes pretty quickly over short periods of time. I doubt that Yooper or anyone other than me would want to do this. I doubt that I'd even want to do it really. I'm fine typing up huge loving walls of text (because I can do it insanely fast without any real effort) to help people one-on-one, or typing up walls of more generic advice ITT, but I don't want to just throw up a free "This is how I make a poo poo load of money every month writing" post on SA for people to just gently caress it up anyway. I'm guessing others who are making this work for themselves feel about the same.

I could, but realistically I'd just be restating the theme of the thread.

1. Research your niche.
2. Does it make money? No? Are you Ok with that? No? Find a new niche.
3. Find out what works in said profitable niche.
4. Write your book.
5. Pay someone else with some artistic ability to do the cover. Don't make your own cover
6. Hire someone else to give it a basic edit. Don't do your own edit.
7. Look at the top 100 books in your niche and model your blurb after them.
8. Drop like $75 on lovely ad campaigns before launch. I doubt it matters much.
9. Enroll in KU. Price your poo poo near everyone elses poo poo. Maybe a bit less, but not dumpster low.
10. Publish.
11. This is the most important loving step you goddamned mouthbreathers. Go back to step 1 and do it all over again.

To answer a few basic questions.

No. Short story collections don't sell.
No. If you can't define a niche it won't sell. Amazon isn't a loving store it's a search engine. If you can't define it, no one can find it to buy it.
No. Your cover looks like poo poo.
No. Bookbub doesn't like you.
No. There is not an alternative to a mailing list and you should already have one.

If all else fails, sit down and loving write. This is a job, not a vocation. Work at it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sundae posted:

I'm just going to recommend Bookside Manner over and over again. :v:

Not empty quoting.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

Don't get me wrong, she sounds amazing.

I just can't imagine a scenario where I'd ever pay that much for proofing. I'm either writing a Big Important Thing where I'll happily shell out the big bucks for proper line/copy editing like a big boy, or I'm churning pulp where one of the kajillion .003/word proofers I trust would do a perfectly adequate job. I just don't see a middle ground where premium proofing like that would ever pay off...?

Somebody's gotta be into it, though, I guess, or she wouldn't offer the service.

I've gone both sides of the board. The cheaper one was OK but not quite what I wanted. The more expensive ones were very much more expensive and didn't offer anything more than I got Bookside.

Bookside has been a pleasure to work with and will definitely do my next book once I finally get done with the draft review.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bardeh posted:

If your cover is bad, your book will not sell. The cover is the most important marketing tool you have, so invest a bit of time and/or money and make it good. Go onto Amazon and look at the best-selling books in your genre. Try to commission something in that style. Don't slap some vector art on a colored background and call it good.

This could literally be the op. That and have a newsletter.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

divabot posted:

Here's a couple of questions!

1. Both Kindle and CreateSpace should be paying me at the end of this month. How good are each of these at being on time with payments?

2. My Bitcoin pundit career is going great guns! (I got to go on BBC Newsnight and call cryptocurrency garbage. Don't ever buy into cryptos, btw, they're a car crash. Trust me, I'm an expert.)

Soooo I just got a note inviting me to speak at a seminar, to a small number of people who have money. I'm gonna charge for my time of course, but I can sell books there. Which means physical paperbacks I bring in a box.

Now, one of the great things about this self-publishing racket in TYOOL 2017 is 0 capital expenditure. Has anyone here done this, or anything like it? Was it worth it? Did you end up with a box of books under your bed forever?

The books are $3.03 each to print, but all author copies come from America (because Createspace is dumb), at some ruinous shipping rate to the UK. Obviously I'll have a pile of money on September 30 assuming the answer to my first question is good, but I sorta don't right now.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how to approach this? Doing a talk with a box of nonfiction books - good idea, bad idea, no idea?

(I'll no doubt do a pile of flyers for people who haven't got cash on them right there. Who carries cash in the UK these days? Less people than you might think.)

1. They pay on time. Within a couple of days of when they should if not right on the date.

2. That's awesome man. Timely advice, I had someone pitching me on Etherium the other day.

I've ordered my own paperbacks but not to sell, just shelf queens. But I've been to many seminars/conferences where people are selling the book and I never saw people buying the gently caress out of them. I'd bring a dozen, make a pretty stack on the table, but spend your time networking and consulting rather than trying to peddle paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

military eh? what about stories of second world wartime derring-do? my grandfather wrote an account of his time in the air force and ive sometimes thought about revising it.
Yes.

Was he in the Luftwaffe? If so you'll do very well.

If he was just Joe bomb loader in England that'll be much less of a big seller. Combat memoirs will do well, there was a glut of them after WW2 and are still quite popular.