Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By The Horns
Aug 6, 2012

When in doubt, always correct to "pounding"

Grammaton posted:

I do appreciate the help. It's just that this can be a frustrating process. Is it possible to present a book as a fusion of sci-fi and fantasy, or does it need to be one or the other?

V yeah I'll stick with sci-fi.

Unless you're Gene Wolf I think that's probably your best bet.

FWIW goonwrite.com has a sale on at the moment and he has a couple solid, if not very generic (which isn't always a bad thing) science fiction covers (http://goonwrite.com/book-covers-scifi_pre-made.htm). His fantasy ones are pretty awful though. An overtly SF cover is probably a safer better than the abstract ones you've had so far.

By The Horns fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By The Horns
Aug 6, 2012

I loved The Magicians for a number of reasons. The main one is that I think that as Harry Potter is to the British tradition of "boarding school" coming-of-age fiction, The Magicians is to the American tradition of doomed tragic angsty coming-of-age fiction as exemplified by SE Hinton... and I love me some SE Hinton.

I have just read "The Girl With All the Gifts" (can't remember the author but it was a Mike Carey writing under a very similar pseudonym) which was a flawed but pretty interesting take on the whole Zombie thing. It read like a movie, and apparently he was writing the screenplay at the same time. It's written in a really odd, constantly shifting third person present narration which took a while to get used to, but I ended up enjoying.

I am currently reading "Before I Go To Sleep" by S J Watson which is a Momento-esque thriller and a pretty impressive debut... although the dude hasn't published anything else and it's been over three years, so he's probably going to be writing columns in the Guardian about how little money authors make any day now (trad pub burn to keep things topical).

By The Horns
Aug 6, 2012

This sort of book is pretty popular in the UK so don't neglect them in any kind of marketing you do!

ravenkult posted:

Back me up here, the ape on the cover is terrible. Just because it's ''different'' doesn't mean it's good.

I agree. It's not so much that the ape is the focus (it shouldn't be) as the fact it is the only distinguishable image on the cover. The colors and design also suggest gothic horror (possibly involving an ape hanging people) than magical realism which tends to be a little more uplifitng... then again it's being compared to The Road so uplifting may not be appropriate.

And yeah, "being different" isn't something I'd aim for with a cover. Especially not for a new author and especially not for self published books. Being different is a luxury for people who have already made it, so their name is what sells the book, not the cover.

From a purely marketing/maximising audience point of view I'd get a burning nazi flag, an adorable scruffy kid and a big top in the mix. I'd also be thinking along the lines of Book Thief meets Night Circus rather than Dictionary of the Khazars and Sandman when considering how I marketed something like this.

All that said. As a fan of Carnivale I will buy this book.

By The Horns fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 18, 2014

By The Horns
Aug 6, 2012

I don't think these changes apply to us:

HMRC posted:

If you supply consumers through an online store or gateway, and the online store or gateway is acting in its own name, then they will normally be considered to be supplying the consumer. This means that the online store or gateway will be responsible for declaring and paying any VAT due. You will be treated as supplying the store and so will be making a business to business (B2B) supply, rather than a B2C supply. If this is the case, these rule changes do not directly affect you.

Amazon (or whoever) is the supplier and they deal with VAT. These laws are more to do with suppliers of digital services dodging regional taxes within the EU. The Petition is legit though. It looks like a lot of small business trading online are going to get caught up in something designed to stop Amazon and Apple etc and their big tax avoidence schemes. But I don't think it will have an impact on authors unless they're selling for their own storefront as well.

I say legit, but the idea that a petition to scrap a massive change to international tax law less than two months before the law goes live is all kinds of yeah, not going to happen.

Also this might mean some changes to how books are priced and sales are reported in the EU, that's the bit that might affect us. Especially people who are all uptight about having nice looking prices on Amazon.co.uk... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

Beyond that I think you're confusing two different things here:

The threshold for VAT registation is £81,000.

The threshold for income tax is £10,000. But, in theory, you still need to register as self employed within three months of starting even if you haven't made you first £1 yet... even if you've made a loss. In practice anyone who gives it a go and never makes anything probably wouldn't bother. There's no reason it should be impossible for anyone though.

By The Horns fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 14, 2014

By The Horns
Aug 6, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Some folks ran sales rank tests on Amazon.de

http://www.selfpublisherbibel.de/test-how-amazons-algorithms-really-work-myth-and-reality/

They conclude that (for purposes of calculating rank), a sale loses half its potency each day. Kinda neat.

This is like my holy grail of blog posts. Thanks!

By The Horns
Aug 6, 2012

chthonic bell posted:

I posted this question earlier, but no one answered: obviously romance is where the big money is, but how does fantasy do, comparably? Is it worth it at all?

About 40% of the books currently in Kindle Store Top 100 Bestselling Fantasy books are actually romance books, with about half of them being self-published. I didn't see much in the way of self-published non-romance fantasy in there. Well, there's Blake Crouch stuff, but that's really more Sci-Fi/Thriller than fantasy.

There are some people who do OK with it I guess, but those that do tend to be with big novels and I rarely see them ranked any higher than several people here regularly get with short erotica and romance and I can't see how they're particularly profitable or making a living. There might be some people who push out a lot of serials, but in terms of genre fiction, and outside of romance, I can't recall a straight-up fantasy series I've seen do well. It's more military SF or post-apocalyptic stuff.

By The Horns
Aug 6, 2012

angel opportunity posted:

my new erotica writing schedule is to just stay up really late until I finish my words

Mine is stay up late playing Borderlands 2. It's not working out so well at the moment.

I need a new taskmaster ;)

By The Horns
Aug 6, 2012

I do not enjoy writing nearly enough to want to make a career out of it! I do enjoy the money though. I usually do OK with regards to motivation (again... mostly money) but there are a couple of other mundane thing holding me back at the moment. Borderlands 2 is a symptom, not the disease.

By The Horns
Aug 6, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

http://jakonrath.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/guest-post-by-selena-kitt.html?m=1

99c is scrub tier, and everyone knows it, so I'm probably going back to $2.99 since everyone else is as well.

Selena Kitt currently has many titles performing very well at 99c. As do several of the heavy hitters in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By The Horns
Aug 6, 2012

ravenkult posted:

Isn't that in the olden days of KU?

Selena has three books published this month all at 99c

This is promotional pricing and the massive decrease in potential borrow revenue means that it's not going to subsidise the loss decrease in %age revenue any more, but I think it will remain a big part of many people's marketing toolkits. I never put much stock in the idea that books priced at 99c sold less because the discount price put people off (personally I think the opposite is true) and while a lot of people used to treat that as gospel I think it's a myth that had fallen out of fashion recently due to how many people were using it as a price point to launch books into the top 100.