Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnanimous Lurch
Jun 17, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm a newcomer to the self publishing scene.
As my job takes up most of my time and my income is based on this, I'm not able to churn out more than say 4-8k words a week.
My approach - I think - is to write up shorts, sell them individually at about 1,50 USD and then move on to the next idea.

The main problem - if I want to make any money that is - is that 4-8k on a single story seems to work only for erotica...and not for other genres.

So, what would your advice be? Blurb got too many run-on sentences? Cover crap? Make it longer?

I don't mind making stuff longer or making nicer covers, but it's nice to bounce this idea off of some brains who've been doing this for a longer while than I have :)

Here's what I'm currently offering:

https://www.amazon.nl/GHOST-TOILET-...rror+from+below

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnanimous Lurch
Jun 17, 2013
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm pretty terrible at marketing/selling myself, (not to mention pricing and selling strategy) so I really do appreciate the feedback. :)

Yeah, the intention is to write 'so bad it's good'.

From what I get I need to do way more to improve the blurb and the cover to be able to pull that off, so people will see it coming.

I'll work on writing longer books and improve the blurbs/covers.

Bardeh posted:

OK, I actually borrowed and read Ghost Toilet. I read it all the way through. Unsurprisingly, it's full of poop jokes and godawful dialogue. Because I'm an immature idiot, I'll admit I smiled once or twice in a 'it's so bad it's kinda funny' sort of way, but your average horror reader is probably going to hate it and think it's extraordinarily puerile, because it is.

If you're going for the 'it's intentionally bad which makes it funny' angle, then you really need to play that up in the blurb.

E: Yes, I have better things to do with my time, no I don't know why I made this for GHOST TOILET of all books.

Also - holy smokes that cover's awesome!

Magnanimous Lurch
Jun 17, 2013

Bardeh posted:

Feel free to use it. While you're in there uploading it, work on the blurb too and change the price to 99 cents. Also have a quick proofread of your manuscript and fix some of the minor spelling and grammar/punctuation mistakes. Go to https://www.mailchimp.com and create a signup form, then put the link in the back of the book. Get all this done now - I doubt Ghost Toilet is going to set the world on fire, but any signups will help in the future.

Using it, working on it, changing it.
Proofread is a little tricky to get at this moment - will have to do this over the weekend.
Made and added the mailchimp.
Honestly, thanks!
Not aiming at the throat of the world just yet - just starting from the bottom.

syscall girl posted:

I have a friend who's been published in dead trees back in the day

She's been trying to finish her new post apocalyptic cash in like it's gonna be her million seller

The actual apocalypse is gonna be here before she finishes at this rate and if she does finish it it's not going to make what she thinks it will

Alas

This.
Got more than a few friends who think like this - one has a plan for a new Game of Thrones/Pratchett crossover and another planning out an epic sci-fi saga for years etc.

I figured, I'd fail rather early and often and learn from that rather than sitting in a room for years with no result.