Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

change my name posted:

I'm going to stop making GBS threads this thread up and actually finish editing, but I think this is what I'm going to go with (maybe with some minor tweaks):

Maybe I'm not that bright but I didn't see the pentagram until somebody else pointed it out. So to me it was just, like... a picture of a city with some birds.

Make the pentagram much more obvious and it would be a cool cover IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

angel opportunity posted:

I'm never going to write this poo poo, so I'm not going to analyze this too far, but the point of this step is that you want to find examples of people who tried to cash in on this market and archetype, but failed. The question is: if you emulate this as best you can and do everything right, how reasonable is it to expect you'll be successful? As far as I can see, the absolute worst case in this genre if you do everything close to right is "You will make several thousand more dollars than fedora Cthulhu slayer." The best case is: "You will make over $10,000+ for each book that should ideally take you only 1-2 months to write."

Thanks for the effortpost. It is all really useful information. I was wondering if you could expand on the bolded part a little bit? How do you get up to that kind of pace? I have written a bunch of novels over the years but I've never really taken less than a year to finish one. I'm sure I could do better but still 1 month sounds incredibly fast. Is it just that you cut a lot of corners for the ebook market since nobody expects great prose anyway?

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

EngineerSean posted:

What took you a year? Outlining? Your first draft? The three months you took off because work had you beat? This is a job for most of us. A mere 250 words a day for 250 days a year gets you more than enough for a novel, and that represents about thirty minutes of work for me. You're never gonna piss off your peers faster in this business than by implying your work is better simply because it took you longer.

Sorry, I definitely didn't mean to imply anything like that. I'd assume that anyone who makes money off writing is a better writer than me. That's why I'm asking for advice.

angel opportunity posted:

I work 5 days a week and on a work day I write 5,000 words. I miss days sometimes but in general I'm writing close to 25,000 words per week. When I still had a day job and was doing this after work I tried to do 3,000 words after work five days per week, and sometimes I'd sacrifice weekend time to write more.

Think of a craft like sculpting, where the sculptor has to spend many many hours on one thing they make. In sculpting, it's impossible to do five drafts; you cut rock and it's gone and not coming back. You know going into it that you need to make it good, and people manage to consistently make good stuff anyway.

I feel prose is more or less like this. I write 5,000 words, and they are extremely close to my final version's 5,000 words. I do an editing pass after I finish a book, but it's equivalent to polishing a crafted good rather than going in and completely loving redoing it. When I'm totally done I have my editor look it over, and then I go back through her edits and apply what I agree with.

Your prose is either good or it's not. I don't think anyone ever writes a first draft of garbage prose, then massages brilliant prose out of it over six editing passes and three re-do drafts. Usually when you start doing that your story gets all hosed up because your flow is shot and you have lost the forest for the trees.

The other thing with writing a lot of words per day is that you generally have a strong memory of the entire story. The beginning of your story is no longer something that you wrote six months ago and barely remember; it's super fresh in your mind and you have the whole narrative very clear in your head.

Thanks. This is very useful although also daunting.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

Dream Weaver posted:

I'll post my marketing plan here but first.. getting a po box to establish my self pub business. Oh boy it's work.

ANYWAY. Here is what I am doing for my debut novel - mil scifi. Marketing strategy for "The Badger Company"

High level
Strategy 1: Get more KU readers to read my military scifi book
Strategy 2: Get bobiverse readers to read
Strategy 3: get progression fantasy readers to read and rec
S4: reviews!

Lowest level
Tactics 1.1: spend enough time to get on silver pens(royal road top author discord) and make a network...and a following slash author platform accordingto david gaughrans boom following...
1.2: start exchanging shout outs to similar fictions and build up goodwill and favors
1.3: write a fiction that can move a lot of readers(fictions followers and views)- Sect Leader- so I can accomplish 1.1 and 1.2 at this writing sect leader was a smash hit as much as I could make it.
1.4: For everyone that I have shouted out, ask them for a shout out for BC on or around launch date(sept 5th) there will probably be an ensuing spreadsheet(I track this through discord PMs). This will probably be the biggest factor I can leverage myself. Also this would be nods from other authors newsletters.

2.1: Target the bobiverse Facebook group and the subreddit. Getting recommendations there would multiply any results.
2.2: For FB? Be active. Like and comment on posts that are fun. (DON'T AD SPEND, until book 3) The goal here is to get someone to rec BC into the group on our behalf.
2.3: For reddit, speak with mods about self recommendations. Are there mods? Not a lot of posts there.
2.4: The absolute highest thing here qould be getting someone to recommend this book to daniel greene. Do I need to consider joining his discord again? Has someone else in booktube also loved bobiverse?

3.1: two spots for prog fantasy people- their subreddit and the discord server.
3.2: some self posting is allowed there, so when it drops get someone to rec it there, and attempt to get as many as possible to get the word out.
3.3: when someone asks, I just finished cradle what's next? The goal is to have someone say the badger company series.

4.1 get people to commit to review the book ahead of time. Remind them.
Remind them that they can have the review ready to post. Remind them that amazon doesn't care about collusion the way RR does. Many people have committed to this. It's all in the follow up.

I really like seeing people's marketing plans.

A bit of hopefully constructive feedback. Your novel is mil sci-fi, Cradle is an anime kung fu novel. Are you sure that the audience for one is going to overlap significantly with the other?

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

CaptainCrunch posted:

Well this thread, and the writing one, have been an enormous help over the last ten months as I pulled myself out of a years-long funk. Got the first draft of my book done in Sept. and have been compiling my disparate notes for the second since then. Planning on NaNoWriMoing as much of that first draft as I can in Nov. Then back to book 1 etc. I don't think I'd be at this stage without these two threads.

If it's cool, I'd like to hear what people think of my blurb for the first one. (Seeing Admiralty Flag's post reminded me I need to get one down!)

This seems quite good to me, it's simple, direct and has a strong hook.

One thing that tripped me up slightly is the question of: how can a vampire have never met any other vampires? Traditionally, you'd have to get bit by a vampire to become a vampire. If you answered this question or pointed towards it, that might give us more about what makes Eddy, and the story, unique.

To up the stakes a bit more, you could clarify why "muscling in on his turf" is causing problems for Eddy. If he just hangs out and parties all the time, why can't he and the other vampire coexist?

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

oliveoil posted:

Which part of writing do you all find takes the most of your time? Thinking of a plot and characters is what I find most time consuming but I wonder if that's just a newbie problem and others tend to spend most of their time on other things after they get more experience writing and publishing.

Thinking of plot events and characters comes pretty easily to me. If you want to speed it up, I recommend keeping a notes app on your phone (or a physical notebook if you're old school) that is dedicated solely to creative ideas, and write down every idea you have no matter how stupid or irrelevant it seems (for example, I rarely if ever write literary fiction but I still jot down ideas "wouldn't it be cool if there was a lit fic story about X").

Much like with keeping a dream journal, the more you write down the more your brain will provide. Or at least that's how it works for me.

Note that this is a good technique for generating ideas that you're enthusiastic about. Turning those raw ideas into a solid plan for a novel is a different process and still takes me a lot of time.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

cpmaoa1990 posted:

Books!

Writing them! Just finished an 80k + page novel!
Dead End's!
How do I publish it? Can someone be my agent? Once it sell's, it'll be a paid role! I need representatives, too! And an editor! Zack said he had the same problem! The dream isn't real! They don't do the work! Maybe someone will?

Blurb!

In the old west, there is a dying tribe! Three colonel's go off to fetch it! Col. Sam Wilkinson, a six-shooter and a garrison commander like his friend's! Jean Claude Vanderbilt, another Colonel and one in the dark throes of his life! And Nightingale Fellows, a creepy sort! Could he shoot? The Dark Tower looms in the distance! We can get there if we try! And the sunset is lit! Train's, automobiles and World War 2! This is the action-thriller I wrote a blurb for!

This blurb is for SA! It's not the real one! That's in my notepad .txt! LOL! I'll go get it!

Three colonels attack a town together
But The Spire awakens and swallows them all!
Now they're stranded in a desert hell from which there is no escape!
Dark Tower

This is the blurb! The title image will be, too! I have it designed, but need an artist to do it! No fund's! It'll sell for $49.99 Basic Softcover, 59.99 Hardcover, 69.99 One Pre-Order/Special Edition Version with Bookmark, 79.99 for Autograph (First Edition) and 3 bookmark's version for 100 flat! That one's the come in and get it autographed version!

It's good! I don't have a sample, no spoilers! I need it in a book! I'd like an editor, but it's fine to go! The editor can't spoil it and must be good to work with, of course! How do I go about publishing, getting an agent and more? Thanks!

Not sure what's going on here but I would like to read this book, not for $49.99 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

SimonChris posted:

What's the best way to build a mailing list? Are there specific tools that people use, or do I just get people to send me their email addresses?

Edit: I am seeing recommendations for MailerLite and Mailchimp, but many of the posts are quite old. What are people using nowadays?

Substack is an easy and free way to handle a mailing list.

When I started my newsletter (which is more like a review blog than an author updates newsletter) I tried Buttondown and then moved to Ghost. The former is very barebones and minimalist. If you just want to push out updates on book launches, sales, etc then it's a good choice. Ghost is better if you want your posts to be evergreen.

Both these cost a monthly subscription fee. I chose them over Substack for moral reasons--at the time it seemed like Substack was leaning hard into the transphobia market. I don't really have strong feelings about that aspect any more, though. I still think Substack is kind of evil but probably not more so than any other huge internet platform.