Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
A couple questions:

- For super romance, how to find cover artists? I think I saw a book by maybe Milly Taiden that mentioned the cover artist she hired, so should I just go through books that have covers I like and see if they give credit to the artist?
- For super romance, if I'm going to use KDP Select and aim for Kindle Unlimited dollars, does it matter what I set for my book's price?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015

EngineerSean posted:

Take a look at the 20th bestselling book in a genre and also the 100th bestselling book (never look at the #1 book because that could be an outlier). Take the ranks of those books and use them as the denominator for the equation (100000 / sales rank). That's an estimate but a decent one for number of sales (edited to add: per day) that you can expect from a decent selling book from the genre.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-New-Adult-College-Romance/zgbs/digital-text/6487838011/ref=zg_bs_nav_kstore_4_158568011
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-Contemporary-Romance/zgbs/digital-text/158568011/ref=zg_bs_nav_kstore_4_6487838011
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-Romantic-Suspense/zgbs/digital-text/158574011/ref=zg_bs_nav_kstore_4_6487839011
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-LGBT-Romance/zgbs/digital-text/10886541011/ref=zg_bs_nav_kstore_3_158566011

Also look at who's rocking the boat in all of romance

http://www.amazon.com/author-rank/Romance/digital-text/158566011/ref=ntt_dp_kar_B00OS6RR0I

edit: you can play this game with erotica or really any genre very easily

Is "sales rank" something different from the rank of the book on the top 100 list?

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Are 6k-word super romance shorts viable or is 10k a hard minimum?

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Still, putting two breaks between each paragraph and making an effort to write short(er) paragraphs seems worthwhile now. You can probably get a 10% boost in page count right there without sacrificing quality.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
But seriously, if you were only getting paid because people would buy your thirty-page book and read just three pages, then you probably shouldn't be getting paid anyway? Paying per page seems like it doesn't hurt people whose books are read completely, whether they're short or long. If you write seven 30-page books per month or write one 210-page per month, assuming you have the same number of readers read the entirety of your work, you're doing better.

Additionally, if you have a 210-page book and it's a dud, that hurts. If you have seven 30-pagers, you have seven times as many chances to be discovered, so if any one of them is a dud, you haven't lost as much effort. So it seems shorter works are still less risky.

If the size of the pot doesn't shrink, then people who wrote 30-pagers that were only read for three pages will see their share of the pot decrease while people who write 30-pages that are read completely will see their share increase.

And 210-page books probably become slightly less risky, because you get paid for ten pages instead of zero when someone reads 5% of the book and then stops.

I just don't see how this hurts people who write short books that people actually read. If nobody is reading your stuff then fine, then sure, you'll make less. But if people are reading most of your book, you'll be fine.

E:

Oh, wait a second. If you had 10% of borrows but only wrote 1% of the pages read under the old system, you would have 10% of the pot. Under the new system, you may have 10% of the borrows but you still only get 1% of the pot. So yeah, writers of short stories are hosed

On the other hand, that share has to go somewhere. People who were already doing well with longer stories are probably going to be making ridiculous amounts of money over the next couple months before everyone adjusts and moves to longer fiction.

fruit loop fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 16, 2015

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
I'm sorry, but what does ARC stand for?

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
How do you maintain your mailing lists with multiple romance pen names? I feel like my work improves enough that I want to go through several as time goes on, but losing all that accumulated contact info every time I switch pen names sounds painful. Or is it not a big deal?

I feel like romance readers will be more likely to remember and less likely to forgive a bad early book or three, basically. I don't want to be twelve books deep on a pen name with three or four lovely early books.

And I'm guessing that telling my shorter romance readers about my new long romance books / pen name is a bad idea?

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
I've been reading Let's Get Visible. Is it still relevant or should I forget everything I'm reading about popularity on Amazon?

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015

Mortanis posted:

Well, I've been at this since 2013, same as many of us - apologies for using hyperbole. All I was trying to argue is that people got used to the payment of shorts and novellas being equal to full length novels and I don't think that's "fair". If you have a problem with that word, choose another that reflects the mentality of getting paid for less work. I do agree with the rest. I wish BN had more prominence in the game, though I still make more there than anywhere else. Not by much, though.

You're right. $1.34 is unfair for a short. It should be around $2.10, since people are willing to pay $2.99 for them.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015

Mortanis posted:

(even though we all know it's violating the spirit and intent of what Amazon wants),

How do you know Amazon wants otherwise? It would be downright easy for them to stamp out "miscategorization" - the fact they haven't yet suggests they don't care.

Going by what I know about big companies and the people who work in them, the people at Amazon don't give a poo poo either way. They just don't want bad press. If anything, there's probably a project manager somewhere who looks slightly better at performance review time if Amazon makes more money by selling ebooks and is ignoring or deprioritizing super romance writers as long as no concerned parents send Jeff Dean emails about how they're offended that Amazon sells such stuff.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
So is self-publishing dead now that Amazon pays for page views instead of borrows?

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015

LowellDND posted:

Still reading the thread (on p38), but am increasingly motivated to turn my fanfic into a serial :D Getting lots of ideas from posters here.

I thought serials didn't sell anymore and you have to do 50k-word romance (and do it really, really well) if you want to make even a couple thousand per month?

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Well, yes. You pay higher taxes due to being self-employed. You'd be better off selling used cars and writing in your spare time if you want to "be a writer". At least that way, you'd make more money and be able to write what you love instead of what sells.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Is self-pubbing romantic on amazon still something that a motivated new person could get good at and turn into a million bucks over a few years or has Amazon finally killed that?

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Okay, sounds like it's not what I want, which is something I can spend all my free time on for like six months and then gradually put less and less time into until it's not something I maintain.

I wrote a single 6k-word smut story on half a weekend back in 2013. It made me like $400 that year and is even still selling a single copy per month across Smashwords, Kobo, Barnes and Noble, and Amazon, so I was wondering if that meant I could write a greater amount of real novels and have a lasting trickle of meangingful money from them, but it seems not.

Really, if I could just write enough to get a steady trickle of ~$2-3k/mo post-tax for a few years after I stop, that would be enough for me, but it seems like I would have to write the full-length novella equivalent of 200 of my original, lovely smut story and need them to each be roughly 100x as profitable: 10x as profitable because it's 10x the words require, and then a further 10x because merely keeping the same profit per page would leave me with around $200/mo in income.

If I did want to write and already have some idea of how it works and have already read a few traditional books (Nora Roberts) as well as more recent popular self-pubbed stories (Aubrey Watts comes to mind), but am sure I'm making tons of stupid mistakes, it seems like writing something and paying a good editor to read it carefully would be the fastest way to find and fix the (writing) mistakes I make?

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Wait, what the gently caress? When did GBS disappear? Did he say why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
People actually hire ghostwriters for romance? I'm familiar with the idea of say, celebrities "writing" memoirs, but how could these people possibly afford to pay someone else to ghostwrite lovely fiction for them? You have to pay a living a wage, right? Is it just people with ESL English hiring other people with slightly better ESL English from India or what?

And jesus christ, half a million. Makes me wish I'd written more than one book since 2013. Though "pay cut" makes me think now is too late to get started.