Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
lol, came here just to post that

the use case for AI is spam generators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
So does anyone know how to merge D2D and Smashwords editions sensibly?

I ask because I just had to update a detail in a book (one acknowledgee has a new name and asked for the old one to be changed, I said "of course"). Remember how to use Calibre editor again, fine. Reinstall epubcheck, fine. Remember to remove calibre_bookmarks.txt before upload, fine. Upload to D2D, fine.

I ticked the box on D2D to publish to the Smashwords store, cos I figured I'd need that anyway in due course. Perhaps I'm wrong.

What do I do with Smashwords once D2D publishes - remove the book entirely? Leave it in the list but take it off sale? Does this preserve my sales stats?

etc etc etc, anyone else done this?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

divabot posted:

So does anyone know how to merge D2D and Smashwords editions sensibly?

so i emailed D2D! And the official answer is: wait for the merge, they should have it sorted by Q3 2023 or so :-D

which is uh now, but hey

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
yep. if your book content is good, then the only really big tip is:

get a professional front cover. one that does not look self published.

unless you are literally a graphic designer, pay someone money to do this. it'll be worth it.

this matters almost more than the content. 100% of readers judge a book by its cover.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
the curse of the self-published author is that about 100% of readers judge a book by its cover

(hence my continuing envy of Mr Bertocci of this parish and that he's a graphic designer as well as a writer)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Megazver posted:

Yes, Goonwrite has transitioned to using AI it seems.

quote:

Indeed I do use AI as a tool sometimes to get great images for pre-made book covers. But likewise, you're fully licensed with AI images because the service I use grants me a full commercial right. You might have heard things about AI being somewhat dodgy, but for the most part this was just stoked-up clickbait controversy. Everything I use is guaranteed 100% legit. If you want to read more about why this is the case, and find out about the controversies, you can do so here: Self-published Authors Worried about AI Artwork on Book Covers.

that sounds like complete bullshit in any legal sense, let alone any ethical sense.

I would stay the hell away from any service that thinks this is an explanation of anything. The linked blog post is possibly worse. This is just AI grift that is coming up with excuses to separate you from your cash.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Icon-Cat posted:

Sometimes I think I might have enjoyed being a book cover designer — but the truth is, working for the big publishers on classy books will put you up against as many clichés and commercial demands as we sometimes face here in our trenches of trying to sell on Amazon and such. I loved this article, for instance, on a look that's currently popular in Very Serious Literary Fiction: https://www.printmag.com/book-covers/the-book-cover-behold-the-book-blob/

THE BOOK BLOB oh my goodness

I was in Tesco (supermarket) the other day and walked past the book rack. The book blob style is ABSOLUTELY suited to that surrounding. It completely works. And yeah, I hate it too. I mean, if you used it on Amazon it would look like a professional cover, sure ...

obviously the answer here is to see what's going down well at Tesco and what would look good surrounded by people buying their groceries

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Leng posted:

An extremely random and highly technical question for everyone about your ebook covers on KDP: what color profile are you using? sRGB or RGB? (if you don't know how to check, it's in the file properties under the "Color space" and "Color profile" attributes)

so the way I approached this, with the invaluable assistance of my wonderful graphic designer, was to just make the ebook look as good as possible on a screen and left the paperback colours to her.

this made the e-book cover absolutely pop in the Amazon listings, and the paperback (which had a slightly different aspect ratio anyway) had colours that would survive the Satanic processes of CMYK printing reasonably robustly.

i have seen UK and US copies of my first cover look wildly different from literally the same source file. that JPEG looks like a fairly bright bluish green, but the printed covers vary from much more blue to much more green, with a greyish tinge to them.

we actually did the ebook cover first. when it was clear those colours weren't reproducible in ink, she tweaked it to something more robust.

so tl;dr leave it to your designer and their experience in battling the CMYK demons

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Leng posted:

IngramSpark finally did it. They've finally messed up enough of my print orders that starting next year, I'm gonna be seriously looking into doing offset printing because I never want to put in an order for $500 worth of books and 27 out of 39 books arrive with damage or severe misprinting. UGH.

urgh. Where are you? I'm in the UK and I think Amazon CreateSpace/Kindle Print still uses IngramSpark as their printer, and I've never had a bad book from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

freebooter posted:

Has Amazon changed the way they do payments? I normally get my usual lump sum a few days before the end of the month, with every now and then the Canadian or German market or whatever having finally eked out $100 and so I'll get one from them too. But yesterday I received nine payments, ranging between $1 and $68, various tagged "AMAZON MEDIA EU," "AMAZON MEDIA ASIA-PACIF," "AMAZON.COM.CA" etc. Some of those descriptions were tagged to multiple payments. What's up with that?

Mine's been that way for years, fwiw. Lots of little payments in a flurry in the last few days of the month.