Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Edit: post removed since my cover and blurb are still works in progress. Thanks for the feedback.

Grammaton fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I appreciate all the feedback. Seems I jumped in half-assed. Let this be a lesson for how not to do it.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Thanks for the tough love! This post has helped me quite a bit, though it's been really difficult writing the blurb. I think because my book is so hard to describe.

Grammaton fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 10, 2014

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I do appreciate the help. It's just that this can be a frustrating process. Is it possible to present a book as a fusion of sci-fi and fantasy, or does it need to be one or the other?

V yeah I'll stick with sci-fi.

Grammaton fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 10, 2014

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Posting my book here for consideration/critique: Rise of the Blue Sun by James Hight It's a sci-fi novel.

I've redone the cover and blurb since last time, added a prologue (and epilogue) and fixed up the beginning of chapter 1 to make it flow better. Hopefully it's an improvement. This is my first rodeo so I'm still learning the ropes.

Edit: title change

Wow those are really good.

Grammaton fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 17, 2014

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Thanks, I'll try to make the blurb more concise. Think I'm going to change the title to Rise of the Blue Sun, too. It's amazing how long the cover on Amazon takes to update. Everything else takes an hour or so.

VVV Good ideas, Sundae. Trying to write this blurb is kicking my rear end.

Grammaton fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 15, 2014

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Thanks to Sundae and the others offering constructive criticism.

Grammaton fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 3, 2014

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
How many of you self-publish but also seek a literary agent for traditional publishing? Will an agent be soured by the fact that I self-published?

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
How much do editors usually charge per 100k words?

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Is 2k to 10k the best book to read to improve your writing process? I've gotten a lot of good ideas from it. (I've also found four mistakes in it. Maybe I should become an editor instead of a writer.)

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
What's a good length for a $2.99 romance novel, about 50k words?

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

TheForgotton posted:

especially now that its rightful owner has his numberand his girlfriend.

Just a couple editing corrections. Copy and paste that long dash, it looks better than the short dashes. I like the blurb, it's a nice teaser.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Is it better to write a romance novel in first or third person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Couple questions:

Would I be stupid to lump sci-fi, fantasy and romance novels all under one author name?

For a romance novel in the first person, is it customary to write it all from the protagonist's perspective, or switch perspectives, and if so, should they be in first person too?

Thanks, sir or ma'am.