Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I guess it depends. On one end of the scale, you've got AO who is literally researching which kink, book length and price point is selling, and then nailing the marketing to get it in front of as many people as humanly possible. Then on the other end there's Duke, who's having fun writing what he loves and the money is kind of an incidental side effect of that. And plenty of people in between who are doing some variety of the two.

From my perspective, writing formulaic romance is not something I can do - I've tried and I just don't think the end result is inspired or enjoyable to read. But i'm not going to pretend it's a miserable grindstone either, a lot of people really enjoy it.

Similarly, not everyone who publishes outside of romance is a penniless hippie. So I guess there's room for both? I mean if you want writing to be your main job then romance is certainly more straightforward and more likely to succeed, but that's not to say that you can't be happy with other genres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think Moana's caveat is that Duke is incredibly lucky, in that what he loves writing is marketable and has a broad appeal. Duke seems to be using this as proof that anyone can do it without realising exactly how rare that is.

You made the point earlier that unless you're extremely weird, other people will share your interests. We are literally discussing this on a site with a front page dedicated to how weird people on the internet are.

For every Hard Luck Hank that manages to get away with it, there are a hundred unknowns churning out fanfic and mary sue poo poo and wondering why nobody's buying. And I'm not talking about making big bucks or even a living from it, i'm talking about a basic level of readability.

Moana's point was not that writing is a fiscal risk like daytrading, but that not everyone has the right stuff to do it. Daytrading is a good analogy in this respect, because while lotteries are the usual metaphor, you can use research / skill to gain an edge with daytrading and self publishing. But the way the system currently works, not everyone can do it.

I mean it's fantastic that it worked for you, but it's slightly disingenuous to pretend that everyone can or should just write what they want.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

You read it. You can't unread it.
Stop quoting my reviews.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

thewhitehand posted:

Why is the link to the goonreads site broken?
If I remember rightly, the guy who owned the domain let it drop from lack of interest. There was a thread, but it got equally empty.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

angel opportunity posted:

I think if anyone is still in erotica...now would be a good time to start writing romance.
I'm just not that good at writing romance really, the idea of making up both sides of the attraction baffles me. I basically have no idea how I attracted my wife, but i'm hardly the most maladjusted goon I've seen, and this isn't even reddit.

I'm not so much lamenting my own position here as imagining an army of socially inept lurkers taking your advice, and Amazon getting flooded with 99c serials about Whiteknight McGoodman arguing his way out of the friendzone.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I used to work in IT, and regularly ate laptops. That advice makes absolutely no sense.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

It begins.

Edit: One of the prominent smutlords on Reddit is reporting that many authors are seeing KENPC reductions of 10-60% on their titles. I didn't see mine drop alarmingly or at all.
To be fair though, a lot of them were selecting particular font & paragraph layout choices specifically to game KENPC, the figures they're seeing now are just Amazon getting round the tricks.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

$75 worth of free advertising for new customers. Can't verify it's results, reliability or that it's not a scam, but it looks moderately legit.

Also it says genre doesn't matter, so I guess smut is ok?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

EngineerSean posted:

Amazon doesn't feel the need to comment, ever, because they're the biggest game in town and believe that they always will be. Nobody is even bothering to compete against them so it's really not ridiculous.
People are trying, but they're so goddamn massive, the effort required is beyond 90% of companies. The remaining 10% of companies that could pull it off probably look at the potential profit vs the required outlay and decide they're better off leaving it alone.

It smacks a little of monopoly, the way they sell the most e-readers and control the easiest way of getting the books onto them. I don't know about you, but if a book is the same price on Amazon and Smashwords, i'll buy it on Amazon so it downloads straight to my kindle. I can't be arsed transferring files, and i'm a moderately tech-savvy ex helpdesk worker.

I think the reason that their control of the market is so huge lies somewhere between the two.

Selina Kitt started her own smut distribution site, but it's barely doing 1% of Amazon's business from what I understand. I suspect that even if all of Amazon's romance authors banded together and launched their own site, they'd still hit the wall of the books being hard* to get onto kindles.

* harder than most readers are willing to go through vs just instantly downloading on Amazon.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 6, 2016

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Beast Pussy posted:

I'm going to set myself 1000 word a day minimum, and try my hand at the romance/ erotica paint by numbers that's been discussed here. I'm not afraid of hard work, or failure. I am hesitant to write a 50k word romance monster (or monster romance) that both don't enjoy and sucks out loud.
Do not write erotica or romance if you don't enjoy reading it. Especially don't write romance if you don't enjoy writing it. You won't know the beats you have to hit, you won't have a good feel of what readers will like, and your readers will be able to tell. Write a thriller instead, if you enjoy reading those.

From what I can tell, short 3-6k Erotica is now dead in the water as a revenue source, unless you put in the kind of time and resources you could throw into any other home business and make a lot more.

Writing 50k is not a daunting task if you want to throw 1,000 words a day at the project. Look at it this way: 2 months of that, and you'll have had time to complete a first draft and redraft it a little to send it off to an editor. Grab some books on structure and set yourself word count targets.

If you really want to do it, the current state of play is that it's going to have to be either a 50k novel or a couple of 10-15k serials.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

angel opportunity posted:

I don't like it as a visceral thing even after having finished six novels now, but I like it as a "crafted product" if that makes any sense.
I guess then I amend it to "Do not write a genre you don't enjoy, unless you're willing to do a brick shitload of research."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Popular Human posted:

edit: lol, I kill this thread every time I post
To be fair, the industry is hardly making it look like a glowing career choice.

Although i'm starting to get sick of everyone bad-mouthing self pub automatically. I'm always interested when people talk about it being 'less of an option,' how much of that is based on statistics, and what percentage of those figures are based on eBook self publishing vs. physical self publishing (i.e. going to the printer yourself, distributing and advertising locally etc - the old school vanity publishing market).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

EngineerSean posted:

before I even clicked it, I knew which irrelevant two-year-old article from the UK you were linking
I really need to start checking the dates on things.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Scrivener 50% off until March 25th.

Windows / Mac

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bear in mind though that this is the internet, so you don't want your only reviews to be 1 star diatribes from angry redditors complaining about technicalities.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Quick question / confirmation. Thinking about going for this competition with my current work in progress. My current quandry though is that if it doesn't win, I don't want to end up missing out on the free Amazon promo when it first comes out.

Looking at the terms, it looks like inkshares offer a non-exclusive option. Can I put the stuff on there, and then if I'm not in the competition, just withdraw it and then publish exclusively on Amazon to take advantage of the KU promos?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The one I was already working on is futurism, mining on mars in 2050. They keep using the Martian as an example so it seems appropriate. The major sticking point is that i'm going for a dark comedy feel, and i'm not sure that's what they're looking for.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have to say, mentoring puppy authors for a percentage of their first book sounds like something you guys could easily do. I know one on one advice usually isn't worth the time you could have been spent writing, but maybe a cut of the profits in exchange for an email or two every day might be worth it?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Damnit i'm nearly there, keep going

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

its one of the few times that pulling out works in erotica :haw:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Barnes & Noble are going to start selling self pubbed books in stores.

Thoughts?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"Can I just check if you have a book in stock?"

"Certainly sir, what was the author's name?"

"Chuck Tingle. C H U C -"

"Get out."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Popular Human posted:

I'd argue that you could call Chuck Tingle an author working in 'absurdist fiction', but yeah.
I thought the same, but Tingle built up his following and follower base back when it was much, much easier to publish one-offs and make easy money from them, and is still kind of riding a combo of that and targetting the right keywords. I doubt that someone starting with shorts could do the same thing now.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 13, 2016

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bardeh posted:

He's also got a huge back catalog, and I'm still convinced that he's just a side project for an already successful romance author.
That's the thing, when you look at the stories themselves they do look like decently written, standard smut setups with the subjects / objects swapped out. I think they work as much as parodies of erotica conventions as they do as surreal fiction.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

syscall girl posted:

A g-g-g-gay man?

Go with something more classical like Mercury.

Neil Mercury.
Kneel Gayman

Is urban fantasy erotica a thing? It must be. Mustn't it?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So let me get this straight, when we write short stories, they're bad and stupid and we should feel bad and stupid.

But when James Patterson does it...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That's almost perfect (I did think it needed more of a margin) but the fact that 'night' and 'people' aren't the same width is very grating.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I personally think it looks better, be interested to see what others think.

(My inner nitpick thinks the name at the top is so close to lining up with the invisible margin it'd be a shame to leave it like that, but that's probably just me).

E: demonstrating how at the moment it's subtly misaligned: :

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 22, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What would be the thread's opinion on using an AI cover, and then replacing the cover with a proper one once you have the money to pay an artist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's almost as though automating these processes without human oversight is an inherently bad idea.