Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Do the Windows and Mac versions of Scrivener play nicer together than they did a couple years ago?

I bought the Windows version shortly after it came out, so I could write more comfortably at home and not have to be hunched over my MBP every second of the day. But every time I saved a project on Windows, something would inevitably get hosed up when I reopened it in OSX.

So I basically never ever use the Windows version anymore, but it sure would be a nice option if the version conversion wasn't janky as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Yeah that's definitely the cover of an earnest inspirational Jesus book. Browsing Amazon, I'd never even make it to the blurb. A kung-fu action story needs something else entirely.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

angel opportunity posted:

I might have my first real hit on my hands...over 200 sales on it so far today and it's 672 rank so far. I'm hoping I can break top 500 and just kind of hang out there for a while...

Confuckingrats!

I finished my very first full length novel last night, for my new PNR pen name, so it will definitely not be a hit. But hey, I'm one novel closer to my first hit than I was yesterday. :unsmith:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Special introductory offer for new self-publishers: I will schedule and facilitate a Skype called with wildly successful self-publishing veteran EngineerSean for the low, low price of $575/hr.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

EngineerSean posted:

This finally happened last night.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017LGAKEQ - spent the past few days in Top 20, made sudden leap from #17 to #5 at 6 am PST 06/05/2016
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013P22OIU - spent the past few days in Top 10, made sudden leap from #9 to #1 at 6 am PST 06/05/2016
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A8G7OE0 - spent the past few days in Top 20, made sudden leap from #11 to #2 at 6 am PST 06/05/2016
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017RBIZII - spent the past few days in Top 20, made sudden leap from #20 to #8 at 6 am PST 06/05/2016, then moved to #3 by 9 am.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01619OXG0 - spent the past few days in Top 20, made sudden leap from #10 to #4 at 6 am PST 06/05/2016
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014WBAUDO - spent the past few days in the 60-80 range, made sudden leap from #77 to #9 at 6 am PST 06/06/2016, then moved to #6 by 9 am.

You might say "Well maybe they just made a big email push or something" but not only did I not receive anything crazy (and I'm subscribed to these) but the time period makes it basically impossible. Nobody bought or claimed free copies of that last book in a short enough time period to push that book from #77 to #9 in a single update period. It's artificial and directly hurts their competitors. It happens every month so I'll be tracking it again next month as well.

Do you crosspost this poo poo to kboards or somewhere else public and popular? It seems like an appropriate topic to get the foaming-mouthed masses all good and foamy about.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Popular Human posted:

I'd argue that you could call Chuck Tingle an author working in 'absurdist fiction', but yeah.

Admittedly, I haven't checked in a good long while, but I've never spotted a Tingler with a great sales ranking. Chuck's a god among men to be sure, but there's a difference between people loving his titles and actually buying his product.

edit: I hope that times have changed and I'm way off base and that he's a tingillionaire by now. :sweatdrop:

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 13, 2016

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

syscall girl posted:

I have a friend who's been published in dead trees back in the day

She's been trying to finish her new post apocalyptic cash in like it's gonna be her million seller

The actual apocalypse is gonna be here before she finishes at this rate and if she does finish it it's not going to make what she thinks it will

Alas

I know someone who had a casual-but-decent little mystery-writing gig going. She put her series on hold to randomly churn out a post-apoc zombie book, and for some reason published it on her mystery pen name. Judging by its lack of reviews and abysmal ranking, the real post-apocalypse is currently playing out on her KDP earnings graph.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Sundae posted:

Angel, can you please send me the slack info so that people can request an invite there?

Angel's is no longer an open (nor goon) group, btw. Ravenkult is the gatekeeper for the current self-pub goon Slack, so that's the one that should be listed in the OP.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 18, 2016

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

angel opportunity posted:

making the protag a barista grounds this supernatural stuff into a reality

:haw:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Bardeh posted:

I think they were talking about ranking rather than length. I can't imagine there's much demand for 600,000 word children's books. :D

Alan Moore presents: Jerusalem Jr.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

moana posted:

And I'm out of the writing game for now

Really curious about why, if you're willing to share.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Though I guess "marry a rich person who will put up with your poo poo" is technically a pretty good self-pubbing strategy.

Ahhh, the writer's Golden Rule

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
It might be worth mentioning that going wide recently lost a little more of its appeal for romance writers when ARE imploded. Quite a few authors lost a decent source of non-Amazon self-pub income because Lori James turned out to be an incompetent chucklefuck.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Am I the only one who thinks that a 0.007 rate for simple proofing is pretty :lol: ?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Don't get me wrong, she sounds amazing.

I just can't imagine a scenario where I'd ever pay that much for proofing. I'm either writing a Big Important Thing where I'll happily shell out the big bucks for proper line/copy editing like a big boy, or I'm churning pulp where one of the kajillion .003/word proofers I trust would do a perfectly adequate job. I just don't see a middle ground where premium proofing like that would ever pay off...?

Somebody's gotta be into it, though, I guess, or she wouldn't offer the service.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
What kind of doxxing attempt lets you know that you're being internet detectived, right as it's happening? :confused:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

And is book-report broken right now? I'm so used to letting it calculate for me it's weird to not have it.

It's been working fine for me today (including now). V:confused:V

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I'm about to release a title that desperately needs to make some money, DON'T YOU DARE gently caress ME OVER AMAZON :argh:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Hahaha...KENPC are now showing up but it's about 1/20th of what I expect by this time of day. Awesome.

I mean, it is 4th of July weekend, consistently a top contender for shittiest sales weekend of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Ccs posted:

Does anybody here self-publish fantasy? Does it do well as a genre?

I'm asking because I recently uploaded some chapters of a fantasy book to critique sites and got this review back from one of the readers, whose profile lists him as a published author:

"To be brutally honest, this genre was already done to death twenty years ago. No agent will take it on, no publisher will take a punt on it because the market has changed and no-one reads this kind of thing anymore; in short, there's no money in it.
I wish you well, but this is not the one that's going to break you out."

Now I assume that a published author would know more about the industry than I do, but I wasn't aware fantasy was in such a slump.

I mean, I'm a "published author" and I'm a loving idiot; I wouldn't put more stock in that guy's opinion (about the industry, at least) than it deserves. And it sounds like he's oozing with sour grapes. Trad pub fantasy is a tough nut to crack and notoriously doesn't pay most of its authors well, but it's pretty obviously it's not dead. Plenty of publishers put out fantasy, agents take on new fantasy authors, etc. IMO you just have to be very very very awesome+persistent+lucky to get noticed.

Bardeh posted:

Take a look at the top 100 fantasy on Kindle here:

Lindsay Buroker's a fukkin' machine, and makes a good fantasy/sci-fi marketing podcast that aspiring self-pub fantasy authors should probably be listening to.