Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Mark Coker, is that you?

Draft2Digital is sooo much better than SW, it's not even funny. Plus you can do preorders with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

psychopomp posted:

"Being a huge unexpected break-out success" is a nice fantasy but a lovely business plan.
Agreed x100. If you're writing for fun, write what you want. If you're writing for a living, write for a proven market and do your fun stuff on the side.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

If you can manage a print-only deal, do it. Setting up the ebook to sell is something most small publishers don't do well.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

DukeRustfield posted:

If you love the poo poo out of sci-fi romance and your heart is aching to do it, I'd say it has at least as good a chance of being successful as a normal bodice-ripper that doesn't break any molds and your heart isn't completely in.
You are totally and utterly wrong about this.

I am in a unique position to judge this statement, having written both a sci-fi romance that I was super into and a normal new adult romance that I wrote specifically to cater to that genre. The scifi romance flopped hard because there is a tiny market for sci-fi romance. The new adult romance sold a shitton and landed me my NYT bestseller letters because NA romance was hot.

Readers don't give a poo poo if your heart is in your book; they are not going to buy your book because you yearned and ached to write it. Stop making idiotic statements that pander to "artistes" who don't want to change their writing to adapt to readers' expectations. If you want to make money at this, you cannot be so obtuse as to think every market is equally easy to break into. You are wrong. How many novels have you written? How many have become bestsellers? How about you listen for two seconds to the people who are actually doing this for a living?

You paint this as the dichotomy of a) writing what you want, which makes you HAPPY and b) writing to market, which makes you MISERABLE. That's idiotic, sour grapes at its best. In reality, I write to market and I write fun, smart, awesome characters that I like, and if the guy happens to be a kinky billionaire, I know I can make bank because I have an market for the book. It's not miserable, it's fun, and it makes me money while I'm in my pajamas. Miserable is spending ten years writing a "masterpiece" that nobody reads or cares about.

quote:

But you're going to have a better time making your own market.
Just like they say, "build a completely different mongoose trap, and the world will beat a path to your door." You're so wrong it hurts.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Zratha posted:

Thought it seemed like really bizarre customer service.
Wow, gently caress that guy.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Erotica is having a bit of a resurgence with KU, but there are lots of other popular genres out there right now. Are you a writer? I have to say that if you procrastinate, you probably just... won't be able to write a novel. It's hard to get through at first. So maybe write a short erotica story and start there. I'm not sure what niches still work, you'd have to ask EngineerSean.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Man, read the OP. Like that giant image that says the blurb and cover matter as much as your book. But if you're writing erotica, just go join one of the erotica forums to talk about it since you can get away with poo poo like fiverr covers, I think http://dirtydiscourse.com/forum/ is the new offsite one.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Jesus loving christ, stop posting empty pretentious bullshit in this thread, you could have been done with your first story by now.

In happier news, my first two weeks of being a full-time writer have been ridiculously awesome. Just gotta keep this up and I'll be a millionaire by next year. Sean, I will catch up to you yet! :toot:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Ugh, can't believe that post was so short. Thankfully it was free, otherwise it would have been a waste. Two stars but only because I liked the cute baby goats.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Assuming the KU borrows are reasonable, October was my first four figure month. Thanks to Sean, Moana, Sundae and the other regulars who help newbs like me. No joke: this is a life changing thread.
Awwwwwwwwwwwww yeah! Congrats! October is my first ever top 50 bestseller, let's get drunk together and celebrate! :cheers:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I think it's less innate talent than we might think, and more "innate love of reading" which leads to talent. From teaching the SAT I really do think that most of the basic writing skills just comes from reading a lot. Kids who don't read can't write.

And I love Duke's idea of daydreaming - I daydreamed stories up forever when I was a kid. There's a difference between being a good storyteller and a good writer. You certainly can be one without the other and you certainly can level up both abilities with hard work, but there's probably a small amount of innate talent that sets you on the ground running.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I think some people really want to get better and some people want to do their own thing forever, and godspeed to that second kind of people because if everybody was good at writing I'd have a harder time making a living at it.

I taught a workshop on romance writing where I had everyone pitch their story in one sentence. One guy had this awful idea that everybody tried to talk him out of, but he wouldn't budge, not when he had two dozen women tell him his hero was unlikeable. And this is a guy who hadn't written a single page yet, completely stuck to his horrible idea about a lawyer guy who did home renovation and ended up fixing some girl's flat on the side of the road and she totally fell for him for no reason (I'm guessing he was butthurt because it was obviously self-insertion fantasies). It's much easier to pretend your awesome ideas are all perfect than it is to a) put them out there for criticism and b) listen to that criticism.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

SaviourX posted:

So with the mad holiday season approaching, what's everyone doing to prepare or promote their works?
Just finished a sequel to my top 100 novel, gonna pub that early december along with a bunch of promo/Kindle Countdown deal for the first one, maybe a free run depending on how much the rank has slipped. Boxed set of romance with a million other authors that's hanging out in the top 20 already, woop woop. Starting a new novella for my old pen name to give it a bit of a boost. Sitting on two short novels on a new pen name to start out in January once I have more bandwidth.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

EngineerSean posted:

I wouldn't conceive of doing a free run on that first book.
I'm thinking if/once it drops below 3k or so in rank or loses all its category rankings. I'm hoping not to have to do that, but if I get a third book out or a direct sequel, I'd totally do a freebie Bookbub with it in January to drive people to the new book. Maybe just one or two days though.

Also we get to see how rank stuff happens with preorders, I have about 800 preorders on the spinoff so I'm curious if it hurts more than it helps. I'd really love to be able to hit USAT in the first week if possible just to have letters on this pen name. And I'm hoping the preorders will drive reviews, basically like an ARC.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I've never had a book stick so high, okay?!?! GOSH, is this what success tastes like? Feels weird, man. I gotta plan for when the sky falls.

Also yes*
*but I'm trying to get letters for bookbub since they are dicks about everything

edit: also I had a Hungarian publisher contact me about selling my foreign rights to them in Hungarian. uhhhh okay! Do you have a foreign rights agent I could use, Sean?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

EngineerSean posted:

I get a different turkish or indian company contacting me about foreign rights every time I hit the top 100 and i haven't fell for it yet.
They're the Bella Andre/JM Ward Hungarian publisher, I am 99% they're legit. Ulpius Haz?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I mean, I'm not going to make bank in Hungary, they say advances are the way you make any money in foreign rights and I believe it. And no, weirdly enough, it's for my new book. I don't care, it's not like I'm going to do a Hungarian translation myself since I can't imagine I'd make any money. It would just be a cool thing to say I had :)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

You have to take off your author hat and put on your publisher hat. When you price, you are trying to maximize profits for your business, not validate your author ego. $2.99 at ten thousand people buying a copy is much more awesome than $9.99 and only 5 people buy a copy. Looking long-term, 99c is a good price point if you're trying to build a fanbase. Free can be even better, as a loss leader of a series. What you need to realize is that your book isn't even visible at a high price point on amazon if you don't already have fans.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

You get paid for borrows the same no matter what your price is. So you can get a higher rank at 99c which leads to more borrows, which pay out like $1-1.50 depending on how much Amazon wants to pay out that month.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

PoshAlligator posted:

Working on large writing projects with a full-time job is pretty tough you guys.
Tough but worth it! I'm no longer wearing pants to work. It's basically the awesomest.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

If you pick one price and stick with it forever, you're doing it wrong. One of the advantages we have over trad pubbers is that we can mix it up. Price pulse to keep your rank high. $2.99 is the best since it's the lowest price at 70% royalties, not because lower is "cheaper looking" to readers. I price anywhere from free to $4.99 for a novel, but I don't pick a price forever, that's old timey thinking.

edit: to give a sense of strategy, I priced my new pen name's novel at 99c to start for the first week or so. Then when my rank peaked and started to drop, I switched to $2.99. I'm sticking there for a month to be able to do a countdown deal when the second in the series comes out (also at 99c) where I'll be pricing the countdown from 99c up to $3.99 or $4.99 (haven't decided yet, probably $3.99 since my genre seems to support that better), then I'll reevaluate as sales drop quickly or slowly, probably price pulsing down for 99c sales occasionally (I can't price pulse now since you have to stay steady for a month for a Countdown deal). Then at the end of the 90 day Select period I'd like to use up my freebie days for a Bookbub ad (crossing my fingers) when the third in the series comes out. Which means I need to go write the third in the series, like, now.

moana fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 21, 2014

moana
Jun 18, 2005

What does the amazon bestseller list look like in that category? Make your cover look like those.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Oh god, I try so hard, so hard to make these hands write, but they won't stop playing this video game! To each according to his--gasp--ability!

Don't compare your laziness to Sundae's legitimate medical issues. You're a lazy bum and you're finally seeing how hard it is to actually write instead of writing posts about how great your writing is. gently caress off until you have something finished, you're not anywhere close to self-publishing if you can't even write a smut short.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I'm drowning in a sea of bloviation

help

help

moana
Jun 18, 2005

See Sean, this is why I need letters for all my pen names.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I take full blame for everything, including all of the wasted words.

RIP words, you could have been so much more..

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah I just did preorders, and definitely meh. I don't think I'll do it again anytime soon.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

psychopomp posted:

Unless KU can give me a 300% increase I'm going to make more money diversifying. I've started to get some push from other marketplaces, too.
What genre are you writing that Amazon isn't the majority of your income? I'm curious. Also what kind of sample size are we talking about?

Amazon KU is paying more than all my other non Amazon accounts combined, times like ten. So I wouldn't write it off. Especially for you, aren't you the one with platform fatigue?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Exclusivity sucks but no other retailer is worth it right now imo. I was able to launch a brand new pen name this year and hit the top 100 on Amazon, I don't think it would have happened without the visibility boost of KU. So yes, it kind of sucks. At the same time, I got a $2k KU allstars bonus last month which is more than I make at all the other retailers combined. If anybody would step up to the plate, I'd be all for it. So far, though, the other retailers are poo poo at merchandising and bringing in readers.

The nice thing about huge changes in the publishing world that may or may not suck is that we can adapt to them quicker than the trad pubbers.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I used to track sales by books every day. Ahahahahha. Now I realized someone asked my my unit sales for 2014 and I have zero idea. Like, it could be 50k sales or 300k sales, poo poo, I don't know, all I look at is income.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah you get a few different 1099s from Amazon depending on what storefronts you're on (Createspace is separate, etc).

moana
Jun 18, 2005

ExtraNoise posted:

As far as I can tell no links have come up in the thread, so perhaps its a rule that I didn't notice outlined in the OP.
I don't post my pen names here just to make it a bit harder for the people who hate me from back when I was a mod to dig up my poo poo and 1-star my books, but if you PM me I'm happy to share (your inbox is full btw)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

What you want is a nice catalog of very similar books (same length, subgenre, writing style) so that when one of them breaks out big, fans can go back and buy all your poo poo. Or you can do what I do, which is switch subgenres until you strike a breakout hit and then write a sequel lightning fast to capitalize on it, and then get bored and wander away to another subgenre. God, I need to not do that.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

That's what I'm doing right now, actually. Going to write three 20k novellas in a series and put them all out in KU at once. I'm thinking I'll price them all at 99c and do a free run on the first one at the outset. Any thoughts on this strategy are welcome!

Now I just have to write them all before the FSOG movie comes out. If they flop hard then I'll put them together as a novel instead.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

the brotherly phl posted:

Do novellas do well? I have ~30k written right now, and there's a great breaking point at 20k which would lead nicely into the next section. Or should I just stick with a normal 50k novel, and go from there? I know there's no right answer, I'm just curious.
My series is dark romance with a lot of erotic parts in the first novella. I would say the more it's erotic romance, the shorter you can get away with. Note that you may not have the promo opportunities available to you since lots of ad sites require a 50k minimum to promote your book. Also readers will 1-star you because it's too short so be ready to deal with that. The main reason I'm trying this out is to see if I can do better in KU with shorter works. If you're not planning on using KU, I would keep it as a novel.

chthonic bell posted:

I have a question about Kindle Select: say that before offering the book on Amazon, I sold it through another retailer or via my own website in various formats (ePub, PDF and Mobi) and that once I put it on Amazon, I would stop selling through other means. Would that mean I can still make use of Kindle Select?
Yes, but you have to take it down first BEFORE you submit to Amazon.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Blurb help please! (posting for someone who wants to remain anonymous)

If You Want Me

Fresh out of design school, Sandra Dane has landed a plum position at a prestigious Manhattan firm catering to the idle rich. She's dating an heir to one of New York's oldest, wealthiest families. Her life seems to be right on track, which is exactly how she likes it--until she meets the man who will send her off the rails. The main problem? He's her boyfriend's uncle.

People say Charles Magister's name in whispers. After pulling his family back from ruin, the fabled financier makes the world tremble before him. But ever since the death of his beloved wife, Charles has let no one get close to him. Now, when an ambitious, beautiful young woman walks into in his life on his own nephew's arm, Charles must wrestle with his reputation, his conscience--and his desires.

My changes:
If You Want Me

Sandra's life is right on track. Fresh out of design school, she lands a plum position at a prestigious Manhattan firm catering to the idle rich. Her boyfriend is an heir to one of New York's oldest, wealthiest families. Things are finally starting to go right for her.

Then she meets a man who sends her perfect life completely off the rails.

People say Charles Magister's name in whispers. After pulling his family back from ruin, the fabled financier makes the world tremble before him. Since the death of his beloved wife, Charles doesn't let anyone close to him. But when an ambitious, beautiful young woman walks into in his life on his nephew's arm, all that changes.

Ruining your own reputation is one thing. Ruining a young woman is something else entirely. Can obsession lead to love, or will their fiery desires turn both of their perfect lives to ash?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

LOL I wish you could sign up for deal of the day. You can only do free days if you enroll in amazon's KU program.

Also what publisher do you work for? I am so curious. :allears:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Malloreon posted:

Also regardless of whether your story is written in first person I wouldn't write your blurb as such.
I completely disagree for new adult romance. That audience is looking for first person.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I second the nooooooooo, this looks like vampire romance and the hand looks like a stump. First cover with the more dramatic crop and you're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Blue Scream posted:

What are the reasons the industry considers it a joke?
Because authors who don't have MFAs or English degrees are making fistfuls of money while their industry slowly withers. Trad pub people would cry if they couldn't laugh at us and call us a joke. Fine with me, I'm a joke with a paid off mortgage :v: