Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Wow, your first sentence isn't punctuated properly. Oh, my god, I can't believe what I'm loving reading. This is absolutely insane. This is what people think about when they think about self-publishers.
"Well get a load of this; dog."
"Rest in piece"
"An hour later 'Sunbeam' as she peppily identified herself arrived and; at his stumbling direction that she keep it down, she began making calls"

Good christ if you just deleted every semicolon in this entire mess of a manuscript you would probably not be wrong in a single instance. This is impressively bad writing, and I used to teach high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

I'm in the US using Kindle Direct and createspace. I'm staying on top of my reports and such but this will be my first year coming up so should I expect a 1099 MISC (Royalties) from both of those or is it up to me to report like a contractor?
You should expect them to send it a month late, and then it will be wrong, and they will send you a new one a month after that, and that one might be wrong too, and none of them take into account the actual currency conversion fees from other marketplaces, they're all estimated and they're all off.

gently caress Amazon's 1099s, make sure you double check them when you get them.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

n8r posted:

Is this thread still alive at all?

I'm looking at buying some publishing rights, but for some reason the publisher doesn't want to transfer the ISBN along with the rights. We would issue new ISBNs. How bad is this?
The worst I can think is that you'll lose all of the reviews associated with the previous version. The best is that you might get a big old bump in rank if Amazon sees it as a "new" book instead of updating an old book.
edit: or if it's selling a ton now I guess the worst would be losing a good rank.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

divabot posted:

this is mostly a case of asking customer service to merge them, isn't it?
Yes, but it could be more advantageous not to link them. Amazon really really really likes new books.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can you have KDP print something without making it public?
Unless you're spending any money on marketing, it's essentially private anyway. Ask anyone here who has published a book they WANT people to read. Just publish for a day and then take it down as soon as you've ordered copies.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Danger Slut posted:

Awesome I'll check out all the recommendations from the thread, I'm assuming formatting isn't too hard .

No one seemed to answer my question about who to choose to design my cover, are the recommendations in the first post still the best options, or are there other preferred people or companies?
Post the image you want on your cover and I'll tell you whether it's a good idea or not, for firstly

moana
Jun 18, 2005

freebooter posted:

Thoughts? I think the only thing I'll ask her to change is to make the author name black to stand out better.
Disagree, white is better on this cover and black will bleed into that border in not a good way. Background just needs to be darkened a bit.

The first cover is perfect, the second one struggles to keep the same legibility with a white background image, black title, and a black border. Consistency in a series is hard to pull off unless the background images match up contrast-wise. If I were the designer, I would move everything down a smootch, move the moon way down so it's half hidden by the wolf, and mimic the first cover with light text.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Invasion of the Blockchain Hashers: subtitle goes here. Keep it on brand. Are you interested in going through a trad publisher if you could get a deal?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Are you allowed to name drop other authors in your blurb? Thought that was disallowed.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Dream Weaver posted:

My instinct here is to say(as a small imprint self pub) that there should be some in between corporate asset or one of you should just pay the other for their work at a set rate.
This is the most legal way to do it in case anyone gets weird.

In practice I've cowritten three books with different people and it's always just been one pays the other half of royalties until they are too low for it to be worth the hassle, then we did one last payout for like 20 or 100 bucks to cover the last trickle or just delisted the book. Make sure you count the payout as an expense as amazon will send you a 1099 for the full amount. Transferwise is a good way to get money from the UK btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Imma disagree, title was better in the original placement. If the face were well lit, it would be different, but the element emphasized here is definitely not the face.

I'd make the author name bigger if it's in a different font but with the same hand lettering the small one looks OK