Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

Leng posted:

Re: chapters - I wouldn't stress about this. Nobody's going to decide whether or not to read your book or not based on if it has chapters or not. I'm currently reading The Spear Cuts Through Water which doesn't have chapters. It's great.

Well, you and I wouldn't mind either way, but I guess it's time for me to share a review of one of my stories (about 7,000 words, with "a short story" right there on the cover and in the text and whatnot)

quote:

Now I thought that through this book would be OK and it was free so I got it and I'm reading the fist few chapters or whatever caused this book doesn't even have CHAPTERS!!!!!!!!!! But so far it don't like it that much but I'm giving it 3 stars because I haven't read whole book yet so want to give far judge . This book is about Whittaker and Albin and Whittaker stars falling for Albin the first day they meant so that's a little sudden. But I thought that it was pretty boring so far and its hard for me to keep reading but I've read good books before and didn't like first chapter but were good after. So it might be good after all.

This is the kind of high-minded literary audience we're trying to attract, folks. :cripes:

Here's my take on the Captain Log blurb. I get the sense that you thinking of the international audience and maybe that's why you're explaining what the Civil War / KKK is when an American reader of historical fiction wouldn't need it; would a European reader of historical fiction set in America? I mean, if I'm interested in books taking place in Victorian times, I don't need Queen Victoria or Parliament (for example) explained in the blurb.

An ancient force is awoken when the severed heads of six goats are staked against an old oak tree.

Deep in the rolling hills of Tennessee lies the small town of Lawrenceboro, where childhood friends Francis Meet and Freddy Monk grew up playing in the thick woods, and now own Francis's family homestead. Now grown, they lead a quiet life together, without wives or children, tending to their livestock and bandaging the physical and mental wounds of war.

For they are Civil War veterans — from the Union side. But Lawrenceboro families sent their sons to fight for the Confederacy — boys who returned bitter and beaten men. The simmering hatred from the defeated has paved the way for the burgeoning Ku Klux Klan.

The very existence of two Union veterans prospering is an affront to the worst elements of Lawrenceboro. As rumors spread about Francis and Freddy's lifestyle, the Klan hits their homestead. The first casualties are goats, torn apart by dull Bowie knives…

While Francis and Freddy prepare to match lead with lead, the evisceration of their animals awakens an ancient entity from deep within the soil. An infestation takes hold, plunging the countryside into an otherworldly violence — a violence from someplace older than the words of the family Bibles that sit within Tennessee homes.

Icon-Cat fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

Yes. Exactly as you describe, with an older piece called "The Fairfield County Friday Night Gridiron Bonanza". That piece had two problems with it in its lifetime: I was forced to change the cover for reasons never explained (either they thought my first cover was stolen, which it absolutely wasn't, or they saw something obscene in it that simply wasn't there, I truly don't grasp what the problem was), and I changed the keywords to something racier which may have gotten it 'disappeared' from certain search for all I know. — Course, it all could just be some weird glitch.

(EDIT: I do _not_ get the blank screen when I click the link with your name, though, I get the listing as you describe it.)

Now for a delightfully effortless segue, 'cause whatever the problem is with my old work, I'm really here to talk about my newest! This one's kind of a double feature of fun and angst, and it's FREE through Sunday October 22:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0CL32GLBN/

Lexi and her best friends forever are weeks away from everything changing. So before college splits them apart, they’re getting in one last night—and two movies—together. Specifically, they’re catching a cultural phenomenon, an improbable, meme-fueled double feature: one serious historical drama, one comedy based on a doll.

For film freak Lexi, it’s the ideal evening out: her favorite pastime, her favorite venue, her absolute favorite people in the world.

Her heart is breaking.

Award-winning writer and filmmaker Adam Bertocci has been praised by Entertainment Weekly, USA Today, The New Republic, GQ, The Wall Street Journal, The Guardian, Back Stage, Broadway World, E!, Maxim, IGN, Wired, Film Threat and more. In this tender, nostalgic short story of one night, two movies, three best friends and no idea what’s next, he touches on growing up, the things we lose, the connections that last and the cinematic craze that delighted the world.