Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

nocal posted:

The violence is one of the best aspects of this movie. Westerns were, mostly, morality plays where a good guy shoots a rapacious injun who at last has the decency to die a bloodless death.

Peckinpah always depicted violence as it exists: it's disgusting and decidedly *not* transformative. The thread that runs through many of his movies is that a protagonist kills to "be a man," but at the end it seems that he's not "good."

I think that that's a refreshing take on *true* violence, even today. It can read as nihilistic, but I'm not sure why we accept that violence is a positive force.

Because sentiments like "it takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" come from people who watched Westerns as children and internalized them as actual history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Looks like it's on Sundance this afternoon too, but I don't get either of those channels :(
Guess I'll have to get it on DVD from Netflix. Like a chump.

• Locked thread