Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Oh man, I miss playing dancing games. I worked at a movie theater that had a DDR: Extreme machine and I would play it every single day after work. I got pretty good too. Sadly, there weren't any ITG machines around here (not while I was still into the genre) so I only rarely got to play that game. My best accomplishment was passing Destiny on Expert and getting a pretty solid score.

I could play everything on Extreme with relative ease, on any difficulty, save for Paranoia Survivor Max Oni (or PSMO, as the "cool" kids called it). I didn't get to play much of SuperNOVA, but I did get to try some of the harder songs from that on an ITG 2 machine once. :v:

The one arcade here does have an ITG 2 machine now. I've been meaning to try to get back into it, but...eh.

I'm jealous that you have your own, that's pretty rad. How much does an entire arcade machine cost you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Mazo Panku posted:

And I suppose I'll just re-fit whatever the gently caress I said two minutes ago into a question for both you and the remainder of the thread: did you have a proper dance game community in your neck of the woods? If so, what was it like? (I refuse to say 'is' because I refuse to believe such communities still exist)

We definitely had a proper community, though I only hung out with a small circle of friends within said community. It was kinda easy to make friends in the community since most of them came to the theater I worked at to play. The first time I talked to any of them, I was still on Light Mode. They gave me tips on how to practice for Standard before actually trying the difficulty out, and then told me what songs I should try to pass before tackling Heavy. Super cool people, all in all.

The rest of the folks I met were just weird acquaintances. I remember one guy I actually hung out with once (he drove me to the mall that had an ITG machine) and he flipped the gently caress out one some random couple that was watching him play at some point--it was kinda embarrassing! At that point I decided to just stick to the small group I already knew.

Also, a lot of the people in the community that played seemed to be furries. They wore tails and ears and stuff. I saw them before I knew what furries even were and remember wondering if it was some anime thing. Ah, to be young and innocent again~

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Olive Branch posted:

For some reason, furries really, really, really love DDR and ITG.

See: Plaguemix and the endless Renard poo poo. Except Plaguemix was a well-done set of songs.

I do remember playing some stepchart for Puttin' on the Ritz that had a background just full of furries, now that you mention it. It was a fun stepchart though.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Maple Leaf posted:

Vertex˛ doubles. Disconnected Disco is peanuts in comparison.

I had a feeling it was going to be that one, in some fashion. I tried that song only once on singles and got absolutely wrecked. I did pass the first one though! It's a fun gimmick for a hard song in this series. Certainly better than SuperNOVA's "hey let's just throw like 50 stops in this song" gimmicks...

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Spudd posted:

2) I think it's ten levels of bullshit that they just suddenly shift the speed of the chart like that :argh:

One of the final songs in the more recent DDR games has a gimmick where the stage just constantly shifts speed, faster and slower, solely to throw you off. There's another one with a gimmick where the BPM just hits a flat zero something like 46 times, and there's no real way to know when to expect the stops unless you've heard the song before. ...DDR's comeback had a lot of poo poo like this, but there were a lot of fun songs in the mix, too.

ITG 1 and 2 both also have a song that shifts speed a lot, though it's at least always in the same direction. :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread