Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009

Fusbolito McGiggola posted:

I found it funny that the only real innovation in terms of gameplay that they've been able to introduce over the past ten years is... mines, which ITG sort of pioneered.

Bemani is not known for their willingness to make changes to franchises that are doing just fine (in their eyes). For comparison, the number of years it took IIDX to have charge (held) notes/backspins added in is probably just about equal. From the original IIDX to SIRIUS was just over 10 years, and with regards to actual play, is the only gameplay change the series has had since '99. Each series in the whole group of games has had minimal changes outside of UI and ease of use improvements, which is where the bulk of the development that isn't on new music/charts tends to go. From my understanding, at least nowadays, Konami's arcade division really only cares about profits from Japan, and the rest of the world is just an afterthought.

Also, seconding playing barefoot being crazy. I've done it once or twice on arcade pads and poo poo hurts if you miss a pad and catch a screw sticking out one of the corner plates. There's a cabinet at a local gaming store I frequent, and I just have zero urge to play it since the only people I ever see on it are the sort of people who come in and play the same 3-15 songs at one set difficulty level every week. I don't get how that's fun.

To opine on the death of dance games in arcades: I feel, at least in western lands, that the communities involved in playing DDR/ITG just got too elitist for their own good. The number of times I'd play on a machine and get looks from people who exclusively play 10+ difficulty songs was enough to turn me off from the genre as a whole, and the same thing has done in rhythm games on consoles in the international market. With Guitar Hero, if you weren't playing on expert and doing just the hardest songs, you didn't count, and the same goes to Rock Band. The communities as a whole tended to stop making it about fun, and more about dick-wagging over scores and poo poo, and why would anyone spend a bunch of money to get into that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread