Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professional Razer
Oct 4, 2012

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

You've never checked Pump Haven to see if there are any reasonably local machines?

There are also usually a few on sale pretty cheapish on Ebay/CL at any given time, and a few delusional people who think their poo poo is worth several thousand dollars.
Looked at Pump Haven- that's actually a nice detailed listing. I've been using Zenius -I- vanisher's arcade location database for the most part. It covers more games, with an emphasis on music games and especially DDR/ITG (it's basically the main public Bemani forum that I know).

Also, this LP is pretty neat. I'm not great at dancing games myself, but I've been getting back into rhythm games over the past two years or so, from the Bemani side of things this time. There's still a bit of an ITG/DDR community here in Kansas, with people still making simfiles for the cabs nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professional Razer
Oct 4, 2012
Building on the above post, Pump it Up has couples charts called "Double Performance", with red arrows for P1 and blue for P2. I've seen a few of the local players playing them, and it's ridiculous how many times they cross over each other. Here's one for one of the songs in ITG1, Xuxa.

Professional Razer fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 17, 2014

Professional Razer
Oct 4, 2012

Fedule posted:

It was also the first time I got a really good look at a DDRX cab. I don't know what they did to the ratings but it sure didn't make any sense.
Generally speaking, the X-scale system was made to give the stuff that broke the 1-10 scale a more accurate rating. Most of it is from SuperNOVA and SuperNOVA2 (Fascination MAXX, Healing-D-Vision, PARANOiA ~HADES~, Pluto Relinquish to name a few) but a few songs before SN/SN2 ended up harder than most old-scale 10s.

It's not entirely clear-cut, but general agreement is that MAX300 [heavy]'s rating of 15 is pretty accurate, so for the most part, 15s are seen as equivalent to old-scale 10s. it gets muddier as you go down, but the upper level stuff is quite a bit more clear than lumping everything into the lv10 folder. (Beatmania IIDX has a similar problem with the lv12 folder but that's something else completely.)

So far, it only goes as high as 19, with two songs (Valkyrie dimension, PARANOiA Revolution) on Single and three songs (same as single, plus Possession) on Double having a 19 rating.

Professional Razer
Oct 4, 2012

TKImpulse posted:

You say this like all of the X-Specials aren't utter trash. :v: Dead End says hi.

edit: Honestly don't remember if DEGRS is counted as an X-Special. Either way my point stands, screw anything that has Special at the end of the name aside from Midnight Special.
edit 2: Huh, DEGRS was Supernova 2. Knew there was a reason why I never wanted to play it.
I laughed really hard when Dead End Groove Radar Special got picked during the Konami Arcade Championship 2013 finals. (The other picks were Healing-D-Vision, 888, and Maxx Unlimited X-Special.)

Professional Razer
Oct 4, 2012

TKImpulse posted:

Yeah, KAC 2013 for DDR players was a massive middle finger. I was honestly surprised by no Valkyrie Dimension, but I guess they felt they were trolling enough with the selected songs. Gotta save something for this year's event.
I think the best part was that three of four players picked a song that has a speedup at the ending- save for Maxx Unlimited X-Special, the ending speeds up significantly faster than the rest of the song. There's two ways to approach this: either memorize the ending and play at a higher speed mod for most of the song, or play on a lower speed mod and read better at slow speeds. 888, DEGRS, and Healing-D-Vision are all known for this kind of nonsense.

As for this year's event... If (more like when) FEFEMZ qualifies, it's going to be awesome. He might end up in multiple games- he destroyed the competition in Jubeat saucer in 2013, even perfect full comboing True Blue in the actual tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professional Razer
Oct 4, 2012

TKImpulse posted:

888's ending isn't awful to remember, HDV's ending is bullshit no matter what speed it's at, and lol DEGRS. I didn't know FEFEMZ was the one who EXC'd True Blue, I had heard about it and pretty much went "gently caress that noise". I can't even EXC an 8 on the comparatively easier iPad port of the game :v:
Haven't had the chance to play the arcade version but I hear a lot of people that have say it's better/easier to play than the iPad version, since there's physical feedback via the 16 buttons instead of a touchscreen. Jubeat's not really my thing in any case- I play so much better on Reflec.
And yeah, EXCing stuff is nonsense.

Lets Pickle posted:

I just watched a video of these two songs and both are completely ridiculous. Paranoia Revolution in particular seems like a bunch of bullshit. The Autoplay was unable to keep up.
On single at least, both Valkyrie and Paranoia Revolution have a similar feeling about them.

The heavy chart seems like it was designed as "hey guys let's make a good boss chart- difficult for sure, but not obscene". Especially true for Paranoia Revolution, as it takes a page from Extreme's OMES (Dance Dance Revolution [challenge]) and uses parts from previous "boss" songs, both for the Single and Double heavy charts.

The challenge chart was made for the KAC crowd, to be something that the top players have a chance of clearing, let alone scoring well on is a bag of dicks. The bullshit stream at the beginning of Valkyrie's challenge chart is stupid.

• Locked thread