Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
To be honest most AMC pilots aren't exactly barnburners; aside from Walking Dead and Breaking Bad the other pilots have generally been sort of eh in the case of Rubicon to decent in the case of the Killing and Mad Men. I couldn't say what the 30 minute series pilots were like because they're all universally dogshit and I refuse to watch them. Amusingly Low Winter Sun had a fairly decent pilot but dang that series went absolutely nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

Lee Pace looked like he was tortured in 'Nam, for gently caress's sake.

My thinking is it was his dad, who the IBM mentions ominously saying he's very disappointed in him.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Cameron's design is basically note for note out of Some Kind of Wonderful.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The show is set in 1983 from what I recall which means its about 1 and a half years after 3.5 floppies started coming out but still 3/4 years before RAID started being the industry standard. Data redundancy was not really practiced as widely as it is today until the late 90s; hell, Toy Story 2 almost got entirely deleted from Pixar's storage site but was saved by a backup from somebody on Maternity leave. Even government agencies aren't immune to it. NASA (in their infinite wisdom) degaussed/erased over 200,000 magnetic tapes for reuse in the 1980s. Some of those tapes they erased included the original moonlanding tapes.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

She's come a long way from Scrubs.

I didn't even realize she was in Scrubs until you posted that; I think it has something to do with her hair color. I do remember her from Argo though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jake Armitage posted:

Every episode just keeps hitting on those same points and this last episode I just kept thinking "for gently caress's sake we get it already". At least Gordon cleaning up his own mess was a nice changeup.

To be fair, Mad Men's first 5 episodes was exactly the same thing with the exception of Peggy shaking things up and Don smoking weed. You had to get to the latter half of the season to have characters stop being more than 'a horndog ad man' or 'a naive housewife'.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Toilet Terror posted:

See also: Low Winter Sun

Low Winter Sun started surprisingly strong (watching Mark Strong and Lennie James murder a fellow cop and cover it up is a big opener), but then it meandered into terribleness between the Prostitute with a Golden Heart that Strong's character kept trying to find, and the Last White Gang in Detroit as the other main plotline.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I think the best way to describe the characters is that AMC split Don Draper's personality into 3 people. lovely childhood and glorious ad-man bullshitting goes to Joe, starry eyed creative looking to the future goes to Cameron, and drunk neurotic perfectionist goes to Gordon.

I'm enjoying the show but Gordon's parts are probably what I like the least, as opposed to his wife who is played wonderfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

hitachi posted:

It's really a shame the early episodes probably torpedoed any hope of a second season because these last few have been trending up and tonight's was great.

Yeah, the pacing for the season has been odd. You have 5 episodes of building the bare blocks of the Giant amid Gordon imploding in rage or alcoholism every 5 seconds; Joe using sex and backstabbing to torpedo deals to get funding, and Cameron alternately staring at code, freaking out, or banging Joe.

The jump in quality to where the show is now is definitely like the jump in quality that Rubicon had and happens at around the same time.

• Locked thread