Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

passionate dongs posted:

Seeing as how it is 1982/83(?) in the show, doesn't that mean IBM clones are right on the horizon? Like end-of-this-season kind of soon?

Well...yes. That's the point. These guys are coming up with the first IBM clone. They're sort of a fictional version of Compaq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

passionate dongs posted:

just seems like a rather early plot milestone, that's all. I guess given Cameron's responses in the start of the pilot they could move on to internet stuff if they survive their first season.

I doubt they'd really do the internet per se, that didn't go consumer mainstream til like the 90s. But they've got plenty of material from being an early PC-compatible maker to be going on with, I'd have thought; it's not like the first PC clone came out and everyone was like 'OK then' and nothing happened in computing ever after, kind of thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Interesting that they're writing for the (80)186 apparently - maybe they're making a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dulmont_Magnum ?

(They can't be making 'the first IBM compatible' any more because they've namechecked not one, but two companies that were in that business with Compaq and Columbia, with the clear implication they succeeded and weren't sued into oblivion...)

Edit: I don't see them as trying for Don Draper at all, by the way; dude's way more of a straight-up con man/psychopath. And I actually kind of like it. When Don does his carousel or hershey pitches he means it, that's what gives the pitch its power. This guy is a straight up liar and good at it.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 12, 2014

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

:shrug: I like this show. But then I wasn't expecting it to be Mad Men or Breaking Bad.

Me too, actually. Though I do wonder if Joe eventually cracks and starts murdering people. Or Gordon, now. Or Cameron. Murder for everyone?

• Locked thread