Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Knowing AMC's track record building shows that fit around Breaking Bad or Mad Men, I was worried... And my worries are somewhat justified, because as pilots go this was not AMAZING though I look forward to seeing what happens down the road. My main gripe is with the leading man: he's going to have to do a lot to convince me that he's not just riffing on Gekko/Bateman/Futurama 80s Guy.

Also, Mackenzie Davis was a year ahead of me in high school, it's insanely weird seeing her in a serious business TV drama.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Amusingly Low Winter Sun had a fairly decent pilot but dang that series went absolutely nowhere.

*shocking Breaking Bad cliffhanger ending*

NEXT, ON AMC'S LOW WINTER SUN.

*clicks TV off*

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I thought this episode had a lot going for it, right up until the hi fi store sequence and the ending reveal which just seemed incredibly overwrought. It was like Don Draper telling everybody his Hershey story only 2 episodes in. Lee Pace continues to be the problem for me, I don't buy him for a second.

I was pretty amused/impressed that he was still bullshitting, though

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Keyser S0ze posted:

She's a crappy punk too, just meh all around.

Although I already had an Apple IIe by 1984 running DOS with two sexy 5.25 drives and running Appleworks and doing my reports for HS in it - I'm too dense to understand wtf they are actually building in this show that's supposed to make us all let out a slackjawed "whoa."

It's going to have a handle.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

The mall was just loving perfect.

I half expected Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith to make a cameo.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

drat that last episode was not great. Others have noted this but Cameron did nothing this week but hurriedly scribble, groan and chuck things off her desk.

I must admit I don't understand at all what motivated Joe to start making out with Venture Capitalist (Allison Janney, yay!!)'s right hand man.

The Gordon plot was decent this week though. It started on a strong (if slightly goofy) note with his firing binge, and I like the Kill Room vibe - I didn't love the idea that he was just going to steal his wife's idea and effectively railroad her, but you got the sense that he's a guy doing what amounts to his best in an unwinnable situation.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 20, 2014

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

JohnSherman posted:

That wasn't Allison Janney.

gently caress. Jean Smart. My facial recognition is busted.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Bachelor Numpad posted:

I give it about two more episodes before Donna is playing her boss's Texas Instrument.

If there were ever a moment for :bahgawd: this would be that moment.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Having just finished the most recent episode, I have renewed faith in all this. No canned metaphors, yay! American-Japanese relations straight out of "It's Not All Raw Fish" - weirdly, anachronistically great! Actual character depth and no "I googled Punk music" montage for Cameron!

You're swingin' for the fences, show.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

pentyne posted:

Unless they completely walk it back in the next few episodes, it seemed like having that manager dictate to her pushed her to connect with the other coders and become more mature about her role in the company.

Joe nailed it when he broke down why she wasn't fit for management but if she really did get over her ego and now wants to direct the coding team herself in a semi-professional manner then her potential as a character will be much better then when she was the "badass outsider" who doesn't listen to anyone.

Now she'll be the proverbial Luke Skywalker leading the ragtag team of coders. Which is unassailably better than her previous characterization, for sure.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

bryn987 posted:

The intro is Trentmoller? Haven't heard that name since his famous essential mix way back when

Well drat, I knew there was a reason I liked the intro music so much. Long version for kicks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liHjofQBAeM

Also for things along that line I would suggest Sepalcure, Plaid, Harmonic 313, Jean-Michel Jarre, Machinedrum.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 4, 2014

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Cingulate posted:

Wait wait you guys are saying this is becoming watchable? I loved the concept but for now it was fairly insufferable.

It certainly is. Last week seemed like a turnaround and this week was good too. I really liked Gordon's plot this week.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

Joe lighting the truck on fire and then standing there contemplating? Am I supposed to find it cool? Deep?

I don't care, I practically stood up and cheered because they played SUUNS.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I'm surprised but also stoked. Good for them.

• Locked thread