Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Compaq exists in this universe? Why are we watching people play secondthird fiddle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

The show should end with everyone finding out Lee Pace is a serial killer.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

strangemusic posted:

drat that last episode was not great. Others have noted this but Cameron did nothing this week but hurriedly scribble, groan and chuck things off her desk.

I must admit I don't understand at all what motivated Joe to start making out with Venture Capitalist (Allison Janney, yay!!)'s right hand man.

The Gordon plot was decent this week though. It started on a strong (if slightly goofy) note with his firing binge, and I like the Kill Room vibe - I didn't love the idea that he was just going to steal his wife's idea and effectively railroad her, but you got the sense that he's a guy doing what amounts to his best in an unwinnable situation.

That wasn't Allison Janney.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

What the gently caress? This show is so stupid.

E: Yep, absurdly retarded.
e2: gently caress this show. Daytime soaps are better plotted than this poo poo

Baronash fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 23, 2014

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Honestly, the best way you can look at this show is as a parody of prestige television. At the very least, it is operating off a checklist of cliches from better shows.

-Character with dark and mysterious past. Check!
-Sex. Check!
-Fistfights. Check!
-Characters who respond to minor slights in absurdly disproportionate ways (Bossman having cops beat up Joe, Cameron with the spray paint, neighbor with the shotgun). Check!
-rear end in a top hat main character. Double check!

The show feels like someone was trying to copy Mad Men without understanding what makes a show like that work in the first place. They seem to want every episode to be like the Hershey pitch, except they haven't built characters who are rounded enough to make it pay off for the audience.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Measly Twerp posted:

"Mom, they're not pumping out the exact same show again and again! Unfair!"

:qqsay:

This is literally the same kind of character driven drama series that AMC has been putting out for the better part of a decade now. It wants to be the shows that people in this thread are comparing it too, but the writers are apparently unaware that you need to actually write compelling characters.

You are certainly free to find it enjoyable, but saying that this show is a departure from the stylistic norm for AMC is hilariously off the mark.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

GutBomb posted:

They didn't have a working product yet. They just had pictures.

"Guys, have you seen that brochure for the Zaltair? We're finished, time to pack it up and go home."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Gordon shaved what the gently caress he was my spirit animal.

I did like Donnas pigtails though.

I don't know why I watch this show. But I'll still probably watch season 2.

I (probably) have some bad news.

• Locked thread