Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I thought it was just there to further Gordon's suspicions that she's dangerous/unreliable/a mistake.

As for the show so far, I liked the pilot a lot more than the second episode, but I still liked the second episode. So far, so good.

Cameron really seems like the biggest risk for the entire operation. She's barely above being a drifter and seems to live in a fantasy world. I half expect her to write the BIOS code onto a floppy then destroy the computer and the floppy in some anarchist b.s statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

unlimited shrimp posted:

Stopped watching after the first episode's Don Draper speech because ugh.
Finished watching the first episode last night and accidentally enjoyed it.

I only knew the show from previews/trailers so I was pretty relieved to find out the cute blonde supertwink is actually a woman.

It seems like they're trying to make Lee a Don Draper type but he's way more b.s then actual talent. With only 2 episodes in it's starting to seem he's more like a deranged moron with some good ideas. His habit of smashing the poo poo out of something when things go wrong should definitely be getting more notice.

He said he did $2 mill in damage to the data center, that's around $5 mill by 2014 standards. Lee's got some serious anger issues.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

unlimited shrimp posted:

Aesthetically, Lee Pace's character seems much less rooted in the time period than the other mains, which I assume is intentional. He's the only character with a vision of what computing will actually become versus Cameron's sci-fi visions.

But I'm just not interested in a sociopath Don Draper clone, and I'm not interested in the inevitable "Don Draper is Dick Whitman" story beats we'll get with this character. Second episode in, I'm already watching more for the other characters than for Joe MacMillan. Even his bald boss is more interesting. Contrast that with Mad Men where I didn't start watching for Everyone-But-Don until maybe season 4.

Joe is the guy who sees a market desperate for competition and half empty and IBM resting on their laurels and not filling the void.

Gordon is the guy who who can make a good product, lacks the backing to do so, and has realistic plans for the future of computing.

Cameron honestly thinks computers will be some magical wonder device that transforms society and eliminates social ills.

The only reason Cameron is in the show is because Gordon already saw the BIOS code. They've started to develop the characters into more but the idea of ditching Cameron as soon as she writes the BIOS due to her instability means she'll have to pull some miracle poo poo to stay around.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

That scene with the stereos suggested otherwise to me. He harassed a complete stranger out of panic and had a meltdown. Doesn't feel like he's in control.

Joe does not have any control once something goes to poo poo in his life. He apparently destroyed stuff at an IBM data center, he smashes the gently caress out of his apt/stuff when his plan hits a hurdle, and walks into a private business and does a shitload of property damage when IBM throws a wrench into his plans.

If this were a Showtime show, he'd probably be murdering someone each time he loses it like Patrick Bateman.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Well, they certainly went a new direction with Joe.

From the preview it looks like they're doing the "data get erased" angle and the whole team will have to come together to produce some coding miracle at the last minute. It might be a misleading trailer but I'd think something like a new BIOS code or whatever it was would have an offsite back-up. I don't know what data redundancy was like in the early 80s so it could be plausible.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

geeves posted:

See my description from last page. While Gordon reverse engineered he can create high level specs. Those specs thru a Chinese wall are given to Cameron. Cameron writes new code to interpret specs.

They're not showing it, and its not even implied. Cameron is just scrawling magical code on surfaces at random intervals and not generally being useful. There have been quite a few news articles discussing the show that mentioned the complex process of how Compaq got it done, but as far as in the show goes the closest we've got is Joe throwing the binder at Cameron and telling her to copy it, then Cameron gives the binder back to IBM because she's gonna do her own thing. Which makes no sense at all since Gordon would need the binder to create the specs.

I'm glad the other characters are pretty interesting so far, because as the 3rd main cast member Cameron is given nothing to do but be "itinerant drifter & troubled super-genius" all the time. I'm dreading the episode where she reveals her BIOS version and all the tech guys are gobsmacked at how perfect it is before its inevitable loss to the power surge.

Sober posted:

but she has goony as gently caress high standards.

They've sort of dropped it since the second episode where Cameron went on her tirade about not wanting to make a boring beige box and how computers should be this magical device that does everything. I thought that was going to be part of her character but it seems to have translated into "creates revolutionary new BIOS" rather then complaining that the product is a consumer PC.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 18, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Yeah, this whole reverse engineering thing makes no sense to me as a non-technophile. From the way it appears on the show, Cameron is basically told to create a new BIOS from thin air because she can't use the book and has no other frame of reference. How is that reverse engineering? That seems more like inventing to me. Wouldn't you need the original in order to reverse engineer it? If Gordon figured out the functional specs and was supposed to give that to Cameron as a starting point, that was not made clear at all. Where's that book?

The whole point of the binder (which, again she gave back to IBM for reasons) was that Cardiff's BIOS has to do exactly the same thing as IBM's BIOS without being a line for line copy of the code. Otherwise all the software designed to run on the IBM BIOS would be useless on a Cardiff PC.

Instead we're getting "Cameron develops everything independently, scrawls on whiteboards, mirrors, while listening to 80s music". And somehow the product will be exactly what they need but better then IBM's BIOS. It's not a good sign that 3 episodes in the show is contradicting itself with the reverse-engineering aspect and constantly forgetting that Cameron and Gordon are legally barred from being in the same room or speaking to each other.

Octy posted:

I can't be the only one who only watches this show for Lee Pace's deep, sexy voice.

Right now his "I'm Patrick Batemen meets Gordon Gecko" is the only thing keeping this show from being just another mediocre summer offering.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

I really want this show to be good, but goddamn, each episode is worst than the last...

It's like the pitch to AMC was "Mad Men in the 80s", and when it got picked up the writers panicked and what little they had was stretched into an entire season and the story gaps were filled in like Cameron fills in whiteboards.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Hahahahaha holy poo poo Cameron is a complete moron. She destroyed her back-ups by leaving right next to her speakers and then acts like a complete child bitching about how when you're being creative you don't stop to do book-keeping.

This show is a complete joke. Whatever they're going for with Joe this episode completely blew it. Then what exactly happened with the cops? Joe got hauled out of his car, taken to a back room and then stomped on because...reasons?

So much potential, blown so quickly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jake Armitage posted:

That last episode was definitely a step up, mostly because it had a minimum number of :rolleyes: technical moments. But I feel like these characters are so thin that every episode is basically just a couple scenes reiterating the same thing about them over and over again.

* Gordon is smart but clueless, relies on wife to save his rear end or reign him in.
* Donna is unappreciated in her industry.
* Joe will do anything and spin his life any way he needs to in order to close a deal. Also, he has a mysterious past.
* Cameron is brilliant but a loose cannon.

Every episode just keeps hitting on those same points and this last episode I just kept thinking "for gently caress's sake we get it already". At least Gordon cleaning up his own mess was a nice changeup.

This episode also clearly defined why Joe is essential to the company in business terms. He's great at selling the concept to the electronic retailers in poetic terms, and he knows world-wide business culture like no one else in Texas. Just the look on his face when Gordon said he made reservations at a sushi restaurant was perfect, like it was a Business 101 mistake that thankfully he could fix.

His apology was also carefully tailored to appease the Japanese, and if Gordon hadn't begged his father to fix it they might have given Joe a second chance.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Damiya posted:

I'm about half way through 1x4 and I can't tell if MacKenzie Davis is a bad actress or if the writing for her is just atrocious.

Donna is just miles stronger than Cameron and it's really amazing that Kerry Bishe is billed behind Davis

She becomes notably better in episode 5, given actual plot besides "be angry 80s rocker chick" and actually displays human competency and foresight in usurping her manager and forming a connection with some members of the coding team.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Factor Mystic posted:

I don't really think she's a bad character as much as the character is a kind of a bad person. That doesn't mean the character is poorly written. It's obvious Cameron is a brat desperately in need of parents, or some other order-imposing authority. She's the epitome of Programmer Hubris and being right about the mythical man month or being able to write a bios from scratch only enable her.

I agree that a brat being bratty is less interesting than a brat not allowed to be bratty. I was somewhat disappointed that Agile Manager Guy got fired, because him sticking around to impose rules would've been interesting for Cameron's character.

Unless they completely walk it back in the next few episodes, it seemed like having that manager dictate to her pushed her to connect with the other coders and become more mature about her role in the company.

Joe nailed it when he broke down why she wasn't fit for management but if she really did get over her ego and now wants to direct the coding team herself in a semi-professional manner then her potential as a character will be much better then when she was the "badass outsider" who doesn't listen to anyone.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

drunkill posted:

Looked like a blind person, either that or electrocuted people have grey eyes.

Only two more episodes right? I don't know how the season (show?) will end like this.
E: 10 episodes.

AMC's got a huge hole in its network line-up, I expect HACF to get a second summer season for lack of anything better and banking on the hope that once the initial damage from the first few episodes have been forgotten the show's ratings pick up.

The first season of Mad Men had some rocky episodes before they hit their stride, and I can think of plenty of popular shows known for having mediocre first seasons then do much better moving forward.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Wait wait you guys are saying this is becoming watchable? I loved the concept but for now it was fairly insufferable.

Show has a lot of potential, but it got lost in the "Make Cameron an angsty punk and Joe a almost-Patrick Batemen"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
7 episodes in and Cameron will still not shut the gently caress up about the 'beige box'.

edit: And how many red flags does she need to realize Joe is not her soul mate.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 14, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Their "talkative" OS seems like it would blow everyone's minds in the mid 80s.

Gordon and Cameron bonding over their shared tech obsession is probably the best conversation this show has had. This show needs more focus on the human aspect of the tech geniuses rather goofy IT problems. Then we got some real emotion from Joe as he confronted his father and all the mysterious behavior we've seen from him starts to make sense. That followed by Bosworth being able to b.s enough to make it seem like he was the sole party responsible for the bank hack push this show up from "meh summer place holder" to "holy poo poo these characters are really really good."

A lot the episode reviews more or less have the same tone, and even with low ratings if they can carry this momentum through to the end of the season they might get a renewal.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jake Armitage posted:

People really thought that last episode was good? It wasn't beginning of the season bad, but it felt like filler to me. The only part that had much substance was Boz but I can't get over how preposterous it all is. His transition from skeptic to true believer is feeling a little rushed, and what he's doing now... I mean we're talking federal crime here. Even Joe was like gently caress it, I'm out, but Boz just bends over like a champ? I didn't really buy any of it.

And then the end:

I think at this point, they really need to end the season with something huge, something that makes this a series and not just a long miniseries.

In the show its been almost a year since IBM showed up to neuter the company, and in that time Boz has been reading every tech manual he can and getting Cameron to help him figure out how the industry is going to work. He knows Cardiff is dead without the PC and as he got closer and more involved he started to believe this is the only chance for Cardiff to rise from obscurity.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TheAngryDrunk posted:

That was before the layoffs.

Right, the layoffs, then it was supposed to be 3-6 months for Cameron to write the BIOS, then building the machine would take another 6 months. The break from "We're running out of money" to Boz getting arrested was also a few months. This show has skipped several weeks on average between episodes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

maniacripper posted:

So what did Cameron do? She hacked the bank to get free money or did she hack Cardiffs accounts payable money to keep the company going?

Secretly moved money around from other Cardiff accounts to the PC dept, planning to move the money back once the Giant was on sale. rear end in a top hat Texas Owner who said "Let this fail" when his company had hemorrhaged clients to IBM and had no future just showed up to be a smug rear end in a top hat while Boz got arrested and watch them dismantle the only chance Cardiff had of making it past the next fiscal quarter.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

this became a good show, and I couldn't be happier about it. shame there's basically no way it'll get a second season

I don't know, the AMC landscape is a lot different then when Rubicon aired and got cancelled. Breaking Bad is over, Mad Men has half a season left, The Walking Dead has hit middle age. poo poo, Turn got a renewal and its viewing figures were around 1.2 million. AMC might just greenlight a second season for want of anything better and the hope that it picks up. Even the second season of Mad Men averaged 1.3-1.4 million viewers, so the first season was probably less.

Plus as a summer replacement getting sub 1 million viewers isn't as serious as if it was in September/October.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kdrudy posted:

I believe that's the implication. His mother was a druggie but took interest in Joe while his father was busy being a business man.

You don't get a house like that and jet-set to Hong Kong in the 80s without having ignored your families for decades to reach that point.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ApathyGifted posted:

You know, I was bothered by Bosworth's rather sudden change of heart towards the Giant, but then a notion hit me.

I think playing Adventure won him over. I don't recall him warming up until just after that happened, which at first felt like a throwaway joke. But I'm thinking that up until then, he thought of computers as just a business asset, and personal PC's were just a novelty that would die off because only nerds could really run them for entertainment purposes. Getting hooked on Adventure probably opened his eyes on how awesome they could be as personal devices, and how much money they could make off of it if they got in on the ground floor of making PC's part of home entertainment.

That, along with a combination of him self-teaching himself(an old stuck in his ways mentality businessman) how computers and programming works, along with Cameron helping him seems like he became genuinely fascinated with this emerging field and sees the potential to take Cardiff to the next level. He went from best buds with Mr. Cardiff to "gently caress this guy we're making this PC" in a couple of months.

I hope we get more of him in the show, hopefully once they debut the Giant, and suddenly 10,000s of orders/requests flood into Cardiff Boz is now holding all the cards and Old Man Cardiff can either pretend he was for it all along or piss off the rest of the company owners/board members by being a stodgy rear end in a top hat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Spacebump posted:

I really enjoyed tonight's episode. Lots of highs and lows.

Yeah, but the lows were really annoying.

- Cameron on a rant about the computer's "soul"
- Shocking reveal of TI's exact copy of the Giant
- The Gordon/Donna drama being way too long
- The Macintosh reveal. We get it, Apple was a revolution, they still struggled to achieve prominence and didn't shoot into the stratosphere until the 2000s.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fooz posted:

Cameron is terrible.

Whatever character growth she actual experiences, the writers immediately turn to the "angry tech dreamer" at the drop of a hat. Seriously, you'd think "Hey Cameron, if we don't lose this OS the Giant is dead and we are all unemployed with a poo poo resume. Also you have no degree and your only option is to go back being a drifter and trying to cheat arcades" would cause her to take a step back and evaluated her life.

Nope, back to storming off like a child the instant she doesn't get her way.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ThaGrandCow posted:

I don't understand how TI got the design for the Giant. Was there an actual explanation or just that scene in tonight's episode where they don't know what the gently caress and her boss just mysteriously figured it out?

EDIT: also the Mac reveal was fantastic. I'm looking forward to the next episode where Joe freaks the gently caress out about it, knowing that Mac's were only a small percent of the market but he imagines they'll take over the whole industry (in 83).

Apparently fired employee Brian walked off with the BIOS, motherboard design, screen model (proprietary from the Japanese which required a special contract to even get), case design, etc. and walked into TI with it and they just built the whole thing.

I assume the idea was that Cardiff would be too small or cash strapped to sue, but the BIOS alone should've been a major legal problem for them to surmount, especially once IBM gets wind and can sue them into oblivion easily because no one there can show to have independently created it (wasn't that the entire plot for the first 4 episodes?)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

The Slingshot "team" got the specs from the fax Gordon sent to Donna, which is how they were so far ahead.

But I have to agree, Cameron flipping out is kind of dumb. "Hey Cameron, don't worry about it, once we have some capital we'll introduce the Giant II with your OS. We already know what we need for it!"

I'm pretty anxious for the finale because I don't think the show writers have learned anything. We might see Joe make some emotional heartfelt plea to Cameron about how she was right and her OS would've blown the doors off Comdex, only to have her yell at him for turning her baby into a beige box and storm off into the night.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Meatwave posted:

By the way, this little preview of the finale is funny as hell:
http://www.amctv.com/halt-and-catch-fire/videos/sneak-peek-episode-110-halt-and-catch-fire-1984
(It doesn't give away anything really, as far as I can tell).

Haha, that preview looks like Donna is setting up the entire evaluation to make it seem like her direct boss/lover took advantage of her, stole secret documents while working for TI, and then suddenly quit to try and launch his own PC company.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Well, it seems like Gordon and Donna have managed to come back from the trauma of their Comdex confrontation. That’s nice to see.

Looks like Cameron is taking a page from the Joe playbook of destroying the gently caress out of stuff when she doesn’t get her way.

Ah, Old Man Cardiff being an rear end in a top hat to Joe and Gordon. “gently caress you, I’ll destroy this entire project to spite y’all”. Shocker, he orders Joe and Gordon to take charge of the entire operation, then postures again, and gets shut down again. I kind of feel like Cardiff is going to round of the local Klan to drag Joe out into a field and beat the living poo poo out of him after a year or so.

OF loving COURSE THEY REFERENCE THE FAMOUS APPLE SUPERBOWL AD. And they can’t show a single frame because they’d have to pay Apple. All it does is now make Joe the disillusioned idealist wanting to ascend to greater goals and Gordon has to repeatedly shoot him down with “This sells in 6 weeks stop being a moron”.

Ah, classic internet sound. So, Cameron invented the internet/AOL? I’m not really sure what they were doing with all the tech-speak, I guess Cameron did some off the books engineering at the phone company to make it happen?

Ah, great we get another Cameron speech on how dull and boring the computer industry is and how she refuses to be a part of something that will be a “historical footnote”. Then she insults Joe by referencing when his mother dropped him (what the gently caress?) and calls him a deluded child.

AHH WHAT THE gently caress CAMERON LAUNCHES HER OWN COMPANY AND EVERY CARDIFF CODING EMPLOYEE JUMPS SHIP? Okay, this show is officially dead. After the previous episode where someone else created a revenge company they do the exact same loving thing AGAIN. And somehow anyone takes Cameron seriously, the disgruntled angry tech idealist who wants to start a business in her lovely house? We get a delightful scene where Donna rejects Cameron’s offer as some petty revenge move then the show completely goes back on in by having Donna decide to join Cameron’s idealist anarchist company doomed to fail after all.

And we finally get the cherry on this poo poo sundae, Joe highjacks the first truck shipment, drives it to some random location, THEN TORCHES THE loving TRUCK.

Yeah, this show deserves to die.

As the kicker, Gordon looks weird as gently caress without his beard.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

wormil posted:

I will be shocked if this gets a second season and it doesn't deserve one. I stuck around because the show had potential and had the writers settled down and wrote the story we (or most of us) wanted to see, it could have been good. But the finale turned the whole season into a joke on viewers and felt like they were flipping us the bird.

No, the writers probably thought they were the next Mad Men. Having half the company leave to start a new competing company is exactly what happened in Season 3 Mad Men. I think the writers were so desperate to pitch the next Emmy winning AMC show they sold the concept as 80s Mad Men in the computer wars, then for lack of a better idea took the 3 main cast Don/Pete/Peggie concept, slapped on the 80s cliches, and then just ran with it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Cameron looks acts 12.

Let's be honest about the real problems with her character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

You Am I posted:

One thing that annoyed me was the continual cliche of failure to fuel the show. Wiping the disks, the design of the Giant's casing, the Giant not starting up for most of Comdex and the ex-TI bloke making his own mock up. Just got on my nerves.

This was by far the biggest failure of the show. The best episodes/scenes were ones that focused on the main characters, their passions, motivations, mistakes, hubris etc. Watching Gordon and Cameron commiserate over their ideas of what computers could be was amazing. Joe's slick business moves, sleeping with that one rich woman's boytoy and taunting her, his "this is the future speeches". Boz being the intransigent old school business guy who's converted, sides with the PC team, and teaches himself everything he needs to know to take the fall for the embellzement so Cameron, Joe, and Gordon can succeed.

All of that was great. It started to show the characters evolving from their first appearances and becoming something more then "80s IT cliche".

Then the finale undid all of it. Joe is still the same guy who trashed the IBM servers, only now he was seduced by Cameron's vision and tried to force her ideas into the product. Cameron has gone rogue and founded her own IT company planning to revolutionizing the world with the Internet, but still in love with some idiotic pipe dream that will mostly likely fail. Gordon is now the head of the PC project, has no idea what to do, and his last attempt to make a personal PC humiliated him.

Usually, a good show doesn't build up characters and plots, then reset to zero at the season end. That's either "we know we're getting a second season so skies the limit!" or "gently caress what do we do, just make them all act irrational and ruin their lives"

• Locked thread