Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bryn987
May 31, 2014
Anyone catch the first episode this past Sunday? I thought it started off pretty good and plan to keep watching it, see how it turns out

Synaposis:
Halt and Catch Fire is a fictional drama based I would say in the very early 80's, at the beginning of the PC boom. Joe Macmillan, played by Lee Pace, is a former IBM salesman who sees a future where PC's will take over the world and wants to be a part of that. To do so, he gets hired at Cardiff Electric. While there, he teams up with a reluctant Gordon Clark, played by Scoot McNairy, a hardware engineer who caught his eye by a article he wrote in a computer magazine Byte. Did Joe go to this company just to meet Gordon? We don't know yet. Joe also tracks down a college attending computer genius by the name of Cameron Howe, played by Mackenzie Davis, who makes the final person in his team. Joe gets Gordon to reverse engineer IBM's latest PC which then forces their company into the PC race.

This Article goes into more detail on the history of the show. Thanks Sober!

Top 3 Characters

Joe Macmillan
played by Lee Pace (the recent Hobbit movies, Lincoln)
I would call him a Steve Jobs type personality. He is the dreamer of the show that sees personal PC's taking over the world and will do anything to be a part of it. He brings together the team to make that happen.

Gordon Clark
played by Scoot McNairy (12 Years a Slave, Argo, Non-Stop)
Another dreamer but one who had an earlier dream fail. His passion has been reigned in by his past failure and by the responsibilities of having a family. His wife has also kept him down which is evidenced when they are introduced to us. But the passion is there, just waiting on a spark to ignite it again.

Cameron Howe
played by Mackenzie Davis (That Awkward Moment)
Cameron is the young genius/hacker type who is of course, also rebellious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcVwF8XyD-8

Thoughts:
I always make a point to catch AMC's new offerings if they look interesting and this one was no exception. For a first episode, I felt the writing and the pace, while a bit fast, was not too bad. My favorite character so far was Gordon. I felt Scoot McNairy did a fantastic job showing how low his life has become, especially the scenes around his family in his house. As he received more air time to show "his life", I hope the other actors are afforded the same luxury.

bryn987 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bryn987
May 31, 2014
OP updated, hope it's much better

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Thanks for the link, added to OP

Sober posted:

I dunno if you want to stick this in the OP, but this article kinda describes what HCF is based on. Basically it's a fictional retelling of Compaq 'copying' the IBM PC.

They've got most of the details right in the pilot like how the hardware itself wasn't copyrighted, but stuff like the BIOS was, and the only way to copy it was to reverse-engineer the code and get someone who had never seen the code to basically rewrite it from the ground up.

From the Compaq co-founders they interviewed:

bryn987
May 31, 2014
2nd episode was not as good as the first I felt. Like another poster states, Pace's character bothers me. I think it would be better if they slowed the story down some. In this episode, we went from the lawyers to Cameron's "genius" moment

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Disappointed in this episode. I mean, did anything really happen?

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Agreed, Donna was the best part of last episode

bryn987
May 31, 2014

Doctor Butts posted:

Rubicon was way more interesting, though. And I won't miss HCF as much as I miss Rubicon.

Loved Rubicon

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Really enjoyed this last episode.

bryn987
May 31, 2014

Meatwave posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for music like Trentmoller's intro? I know of Kavinsky but that's about it.

The intro is Trentmoller? Haven't heard that name since his famous essential mix way back when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bryn987
May 31, 2014
really liked this episode but gutted about Bosworth. Really great acting but the writers didn't do his character justice.

• Locked thread