Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
As someone who knows nothing about computer engineering, I found the show pretty interesting. The characters are pretty cliche so far but they have potential for depth. I'm definitely interested in Lee Pace's character history and how the engineer guy will handle things going forward. The one I did not care for was the girl. She seems like every portrayal of the cool hacker type with the standard gently caress you attitude. I'm surprised she didn't have a nickname.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

pentyne posted:

They're not showing it, and its not even implied. Cameron is just scrawling magical code on surfaces at random intervals and not generally being useful. There have been quite a few news articles discussing the show that mentioned the complex process of how Compaq got it done, but as far as in the show goes the closest we've got is Joe throwing the binder at Cameron and telling her to copy it, then Cameron gives the binder back to IBM because she's gonna do her own thing. Which makes no sense at all since Gordon would need the binder to create the specs.

Yeah, this whole reverse engineering thing makes no sense to me as a non-technophile. From the way it appears on the show, Cameron is basically told to create a new BIOS from thin air because she can't use the book and has no other frame of reference. How is that reverse engineering? That seems more like inventing to me. Wouldn't you need the original in order to reverse engineer it? If Gordon figured out the functional specs and was supposed to give that to Cameron as a starting point, that was not made clear at all. Where's that book?

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

Pretty good episode. Cameron is actually showing signs of being a character rather than a cliche. And I like Yo Yo. Hope he sticks around.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

Yeah, this show, I dunno.

Cameron suddenly has real feelings for Joe after zero indication of that in any other episode. And Gordon, who I initially enjoyed as the "everyman", is turning into an angry nut job. Every episode seems to involve him becoming angry and exasperated at the latest computer changes, followed by some inner turmoil, as he goes on some journey to solve or recognize that inner turmoil. Dead birds, dead human, buried giants, blah, blah, metaphors.

Just build the loving computer already.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

pentyne posted:

In the show its been almost a year since IBM showed up to neuter the company, and in that time Boz has been reading every tech manual he can and getting Cameron to help him figure out how the industry is going to work. He knows Cardiff is dead without the PC and as he got closer and more involved he started to believe this is the only chance for Cardiff to rise from obscurity.

You sure about that? They said they had two months worth of cash to get the thing built before the company went under. That was like episode 1 or 2. Or am I forgetting something?

I like Boz since he has come on board the idea of this computer. But I agree he seems to have gone from antagonist to true believer really fast. Let's not forget, he got his cop friends to beat the poo poo out of Joe not too long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

I really can't decide if I like this show or not. Its interesting enough that I will watch a second season but its just so inconsistent. The one thing I do know is that I enjoy it much better when the team is working together against everyone else rather than fighting amongst themselves or with themselves.

• Locked thread