Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Not afraid to admit the trailers and teasers lured me in but the show lived up to them. Don't care about the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Joe was pretty clear in the first episode he wanted the company to take the heat instead of them as individuals. I suspect burning the bridge he's crossing was the plan all along. He doesn't seem like a character that does random, he chose that company for a reason. It will become essentially worthless and available for a song.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Open Source Idiom posted:

That scene with the stereos suggested otherwise to me. He harassed a complete stranger out of panic and had a meltdown. Doesn't feel like he's in control.

Things may not be going as planned but that doesn't mean there isn't a plan. My take was IBM reacted more aggressively than he anticipated, putting the company in danger of shutting down before meaningful progress is made on his project. I don't believe he has any intention of settling for Project Manager, he wants to own the company. But then we don't really know this character yet and I could be completely off base.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Third episode was terrible. I had to fast forward to finish it at all. The scene with Donna and her mother was unnecessary. The Cameron character doesn't work for me. She is not as sexy or edgy as they pretend, has no depth and is not interesting in the least. Mackenzie Davis is falling on her rear end and was a terrible casting choice. At least we got an idea of how far Joe will go to get his way.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
We know more about some of the guys who were fired than we know about Cameron. I'm hoping Cameron is a red herring and Gordon's wife takes over as the female lead because Mackenzie Davis looks lost.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Where's that book?

She obviously memorized it, off camera, like everything else she does that is plot related.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Donna rocks as a character and the actress can act. I like the Donna/Gordon dynamic. Gordon is a good character if a little underwhelming. Cameron and her spraypaint was the most interesting thing she's done and there was actual acting involved. Ep4 was a huge improvement over 3 but the show is still disappointing overall. I'll keep watching. The first half of Justified S1 was also terrible and it picked up dramatically.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

JohnSherman posted:

-Characters who respond to minor slights in absurdly disproportionate ways (Bossman having cops beat up Joe, Cameron with the spray paint, neighbor with the shotgun). Check!

Cameron is immature and emotionally stunted so over reacting makes sense for her character.

The neighbor was responding to a probable burglar, in Texas, so the shotgun doesn't surprise me; that he didn't call the cops first does. But he is an emotional wreck from losing his job for what must seem like a very petty reason (auto accident).

Bosworth was asserting dominance and trying to regain control of his company and his life, which Joe intentionally sabotaged, has nearly bankrupted, putting most of their employees out of work and leaving Bosworth looking like a incompetent fool.

Calling Cameron white trash or whatever was a slight. Having your world turned upside down and your livelihood threatened is pretty scary and people have been killed for less.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The episode was good for this series but I want more substance, I agree about it feeling thin and reiterating the same character traits. Cameron seems to be taking a new direction, that's good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I just hope they let Cameron wear a bra because the actress is too obviously uncomfortable without one.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Back from vacation and just caught up on the last two episodes. This show is all over the place, with it's characters and whatever computer thing they are building. All the characters unlikeable and I don't care anymore what they are building. It's become something I play in the background as I do other things.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I wrote program like that for my class on Basic. It's just a poo poo load of if/then and goto statements. Mine was less sophisticated but I only spent 3 weeks on it. The teacher gave mean A for the class and excused me from the rest of the course.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This show can't let you cheer for anyone.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

pentyne posted:

I'm pretty anxious for the finale because I don't think the show writers have learned anything. We might see Joe make some emotional heartfelt plea to Cameron about how she was right and her OS would've blown the doors off Comdex, only to have her yell at him for turning her baby into a beige box and storm off into the night.

If that happens I won't be back for season 2 (if there is one); but the way things are going it wouldn't surprise me, maybe even likely.

I've never been to Comdex but I've been to plenty of conventions and it's odd they never manned their booth except for 5 minutes. I would say that part was off-camera but really they spent a lot of time doing other poo poo (much of it hysterical drama) and the booth would have been empty almost the entire time. Doesn't seem wise. I understand that you wouldn't want to film the main characters standing around a booth all day but it's Comdex, that should have been covered somehow. Also their reaction to the Slingshot seemed extreme, like their balloon was completely deflated at it's mere mention. I understand Donna's reaction at being betrayed but the rest of them acted like children who lost their favorite toy. I don't know, might just be my unfamiliarity with that type of business.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ascii genitals posted:

If you were a retailer in 1983 would you rather work with Texas Instruments on a state of the art (buggy) PC or a small unknown company? They were pretty much hosed by the Slingshot, the other realities besides design (manufacturing, support) etc would crush them if they have a competitor that matches their specs and design.

Then they should have taken the idea to TI but the question was about their behavior which was completely defeatist. In 1983 I would have reacted the same way but I was a kid then, at 30 years old I would have acted like an adult and tried to lock down some orders based on a working prototype over a poster and some promises.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GutBomb posted:

Did you miss the printer scene? It was exactly that.

Besides, they didn't pack it up and go home. Did you even watch the episode?

Mentally they did.

While the printer guys were a similar situation, the scale was way different, two guys vs IBM.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
While sitting on the crapper, I was trying to sum up my feelings about the finale and season in general then it came to me ... This season was a metaphor from the writer's POV of the creative team and effort that was pulled together to make this mess. Joe represents the showrunner who has big ideas and the talent to pull people into his vision but is a control freak and never satisfied with his creation. Gordon represents the suits, grounded in and hindered by practicality, plagued by past failures, whose vision is lost and just wants a profitable product and his Porsche. Cameron represents the writers, brilliant and carefree, still immature but if the others would recognize her brilliance and worship her ideas they could create something groundbreaking. In the end, Joe burns the product, Cameron goes off to change the world, and Gordon is left holding the bag. It's a writer's wet dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I will be shocked if this gets a second season and it doesn't deserve one. I stuck around because the show had potential and had the writers settled down and wrote the story we (or most of us) wanted to see, it could have been good. But the finale turned the whole season into a joke on viewers and felt like they were flipping us the bird.

• Locked thread