Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
The central character archetypes seems like they're kinda hoary from the outset, but I liked the first episode. I'll become a fan if they stick with the subtle, lovingly detailed period recreation and excellent soundtrack selection.

And hey, Toby Huss as a hard-rear end executive shitkicker. More of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Lee Pace is perfectly channeling the Patrick Bateman chic, there's no problem. The casting is sound all the way around. Gordon is addicted to Dr.Pepper

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The TI affair bait and the ex-employee neighbor was a nice crisis twist in spirit, but the notion that they'd somehow be able to replicate all of the Cardiff project's specs, design and goals with an even smaller independent team in less time is shoehorned nonsense. That guy got fired in like the 3rd episode. Even if he had stolen the BIOS diagrams, the last time he saw the project was when it was a piece of PCB - forget the LCD screen and the suitcase design.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

ascii genitals posted:

If you were a retailer in 1983 would you rather work with Texas Instruments on a state of the art (buggy) PC or a small unknown company? They were pretty much hosed by the Slingshot, the other realities besides design (manufacturing, support) etc would crush them if they have a competitor that matches their specs and design.
The Slingshot wasn't a TI product, the guy left mysteriously the previous episode and founded his own terribly devised eponymous label.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

savinhill posted:

That makes them being able to make such a close copy of the Giant in a fraction of the time it took for the original to be made even more implausible. Like you said earlier, the reveal of the Slingshot was a good surprise plot twist at first, it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever though once the initial surprise wears off and I think about it even a little bit.
Indeed. HACF has problems with sticking convincing dramatic landings all the way, so far.

GutBomb posted:

They didn't have a working product yet. They just had pictures.
The guy kept boasting that they were going to beat the Giant to stores by at least a month so that still doesn't make any sense.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

That finale really seems like they found out their order was cut by 2 episodes when they were 6 scripts deep or something. There was a whole lotta jumping to conclusions, even by the precedent the show had set for itself.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Wow! How about that. Despite all the storytelling failures, I'd like to see more of the show because it nails the period atmosphere awesomely in both visuals and rad soundtrack full of deep cuts.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I'm glad to see its back.

It might help that I instinctively compare H&CF to the other new show I'm watching: Tyrant.

HC&F isn't a great show (yet?), but I find it much better than Tyrant.
See, the problem with 'Tyrant' is that it's consistently boring despite a premise that seems like it has an limitless potential for tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Gail Wynand posted:

As for critical reception, the important critics liked it, AV Club isn't that significant.
It used to be, but they've literally bled out their entire staff of worthwhile TV and Film writers to other better publications, and the sorry hacks that remain are so insufferable and bad at what they do I no longer even go there when it was a daily visit for the better part of the 00s

• Locked thread