Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
This thread needs more appreciation for Lee Pace's "I just hosed your man-bitch, what are you going to do about it?" face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
You know, I was bothered by Bosworth's rather sudden change of heart towards the Giant, but then a notion hit me.

I think playing Adventure won him over. I don't recall him warming up until just after that happened, which at first felt like a throwaway joke. But I'm thinking that up until then, he thought of computers as just a business asset, and personal PC's were just a novelty that would die off because only nerds could really run them for entertainment purposes. Getting hooked on Adventure probably opened his eyes on how awesome they could be as personal devices, and how much money they could make off of it if they got in on the ground floor of making PC's part of home entertainment.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

You Am I posted:

Also I think Cameron's OS idea sucked. Sure it might have been good for home use, but it would've been laughed out of businesses and governments.

They were specifically making a computer for home use anyway.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

GutBomb posted:

No they weren't. They were talking about using a computer on an airplane. Which implies business use. And They kept talking about lotus 123, a spreadsheet application.

Besides even for home use that conversational OS interaction would have been horrible.

And they were mainly talking about getting it on store shelves, as in retail home-use. Business don't buy computers from from Wal-Mart.

Whereas people can easily use spreadsheets and word processors in their daily lives (even the secretary mentions writing a letter to her boyfriend). And considering Joe and Cameron talking about making it the future and all that crap, is it really far-fetched that they want to see personal computers on airplanes?

Maybe they want to sell some to businesses, but throughout the show they're constantly talking about keeping the prices down for the individual consumer, making it portable (what business will let you take your expensive work computer away from your desk back then without worrying about you stealing it), and a bunch of other crap that signals the fact they're looking at home users as their main market. Keep in mind that "IBM compatible" did not mean "business." One of the most common tests to prove IBM compatibility was the ability to run both Lotus 1-2-3 AND Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0.

As for the OS being horrible for home use, this was the mid-80's. The technology was new enough to home consumers for them to be blown away by something that appeared to converse with you, even if it only took a second glance to see past the logic of how it was doing it. After all, Flight Simulator 1.0 was basically the pinnacle of graphics and interactivity at this point. Someone without the benefit of experiencing the last 20 years of computer technology advancing as we have would easily be duped into believing the computer was actually thinking about its responses.

• Locked thread