Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Thranduil trying to impress with his scars from Smaug again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

jmu posted:

I'm not sure I quite understand the point of reverse engineering the BIOS and then having Howe write her own. Is the idea that Gordon will pass her tips or help her do stuff the way IBM did even though they're legally not allowed to speak to each other?

Yes. Basically Gordon reverse engineered the BIOS and derived specifications to give to Howe. The specifications are basically "high-level" instructions on the general program. "The system shall do this / that / etc."

But Howe, having not seen the binder, can write the code based on those specifications. What Joe, Gordon (and us) see her doing is math that she'll translate to code and write a better instruction set to get that 2x speed that Joe wants.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Lee Pace is perfectly channeling the Patrick Bateman chic, there's no problem. The casting is sound all the way around. Gordon is addicted to Dr.Pepper

Patrick Bateman only regurgitates what he knows and wants to fit it to the elite class.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Rassle posted:

The title of this show almost sounds inspirational if you knew nothing about the show or where the title came from.

Or about Tibetan monks.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Not really. I suspect next week Joe will have a threesome with that old lady and her gay boytoy and get her to invest a large amount of money for smaller percentage.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Just to make sure I understand the BIOS situation correctly, Gordon figured out the functional spec of the IBM BIOS. In other words, he figured out its inputs/outputs that software interacts with. However, in order to replicate the functionality, they'd still have to use the IBM BIOS, so they hired Cameron to write a Cardiff version of the IBM BIOS, now that Gordon figured out what it has to do. Is that right?

What's the binder about?

See my description from last page. While Gordon reverse engineered he can create high level specs. Those specs thru a Chinese wall are given to Cameron. Cameron writes new code to interpret specs.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

That's my friend. And also a goon. He (relative q and Apt One) put out some really good work.

geeves fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 4, 2014

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Wait wait you guys are saying this is becoming watchable? I loved the concept but for now it was fairly insufferable.

Jake Armitage posted:

This show is definitely getting a lot better. The major characters are still weak as hell though -- honestly The Wiz The Boz is the only character I really like and care about. It seems like they realized this far in that the characters were pretty poorly fleshed out, so they decided to just have them do uncharacteristic things instead as if that would make them more interesting.

Donna's obviously upcoming infidelity subplot doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me right as her husband finally looks like he's doing something right. Gordon's B&E was just bizarre. And Joe's look how good I am with kids! scene was just the complete opposite of everything that came before, in my opinion. Last episode Cameron had the same complete 180 in character. The only one who's been consistent so far has been Bosworth, and he also seems like the only one with anything at stake.

I think some people in this thread and elsewhere have tried to ask why Madmen worked vs. HCF doesn't or didn't at first. I think Madmen's subject is more viewer friendly, it was the advertising pitch that ended up with jingles, photos, billboards, etc. that we see and hear every day, regardless of if we want to or not.

Halt and Catch Fire is talking about a blackbox to most people; the innards of the the thing on our desk that allows us to look at cat gifs. What Madmen showed were pictures and words that are far easier to connect to an audience in a 2 minute scene than multiple scenes of loud Cameron punk music and incomprehensible math scribblings while she bites her lip or Gordon staring and poking at a circuit board with a soldering iron.

I don't remember Madmen season 1 that well, but what I remember was they quickly established different groups of characters, their relationships, their business hierarchy all very quickly. Don and Creative, Joan and Peggy and the Secretary pool, Pete and Accounts, Bert and Roger and the Executives. Their families. Better still they all interacted with one another regardless of the hierarchy (even if in sometimes stereotypical ways). (I know I'm forgetting a lot, especially in regards to when everyone was introduced). Madmen was always able to balance things out heavily in favor of the characters versus whatever client they were pitching.

Halt and Catch Fire in the meantime started very insular. And all about this new PC. The first 3 or 3.5 episodes there was the plot of the BIOS and building the PC; the goal of Joe, Gordon and Cameron. The show felt suffocating for the first 3 episodes, they felt so much just about the macguffin. Now that they have had their breakthrough I hope the show will be able to move past the macguffin and allows the characters to interact more with each other and get more into each of their lives. There were some other characters in episode 1 and 2 that have since vanished altogether (I'm hoping they'll be back). Now finally we've had the introduction of the coder monkeys and the hardware monkeys. I just hope they're not a sounding board for Cameron and Gordon.

As for those who try compare Joe to Don Draper. That's not an unfair comparison. Both are savvy, obsessive and have a way with how business works with clients and desperately want to succeed. Both have had difficult childhoods and "former lives" from which they are trying to escape, but Joe came from an affluent childhood while Don came from poverty. That might be oversimplifying things, but we haven't had as much time with Joe as Don.

The biggest difference between the two (for me, so far) is that Don actually has talent behind his ability to sell - that he could actually design and produce results. Joe can only sell his vision; he has no ability to actually make it happen on his own beyond his own force of nature (yes, I've hard Joe is supposed to be a Steve Jobs-type). Joe cribs from other people's ideas (Gordon's article and Cameron's now interactive OS) and in that he comes across even more of an rear end in a top hat when he micromanages people about things he cannot fathom and also how he underestimates Cameron and Gordon. In the end I think Joe believes they're both capable of great things - just more in an immediate prodigal way vs. how Peggy proved her natural ability to Don and Don took notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Thing is, I'm really into the MacGuffin and the first episodes annoyed me to no end. I'm not really disagreeing with you, but I hated the first few in spite of the computer talk, not because of.

I agree. I didn't so much as hate them, episode 2 and 3... they just felt tedious. I thought the pilot was okay given the amount of exposition it tried to give the audience.

• Locked thread