Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Shitenshi posted:

And I'm probably full of poo poo on this one because my source is Wikipedia, but I'm pretty sure reverse engineering machines back in the day, even just for fun, wasn't illegal.

Its not illegal, but it won't stop angry lawyers from making menacing noises at you. Back in the 90s I was part of a project reverse engineering the wire protocol of an industrial automation system that used basically an RS485 type bus with a custom crapily encrypted wire protocol. We literally started off with the oscilliscope (to work out the timing since it wasnt latched, and the voltages etc) then sat about trying to brute force our way through the utterly amaturish encryption.

Then we started rolling out cards that let you replace a $10K controller with insane priced software with a $1K computer and whatever the gently caress you want software.

Ho boy did legal threats start flying around.

And then they brought us out v:shobon:v

(Which is exactly what we where after)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread