Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Jake Armitage posted:

Ok, I have to say I'm probably older than most around here, but my dad had one of the exact computers they are about to build in this show and yeah, it was exciting. It was basically a PC suitcase with a built in monitor and it weighed a ton, but it was a sensation at the time. My little stupid mind was blown when I saw it, at least.

The 'semi-portable' already exists in this world; they showed one and referred to it as 'lug-able'. The specs they are shooting for seem to have been reached by the Grid Compass in 1982 (11# clam-shell design) which had a modem as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Jake Armitage posted:

But honestly this show could be a big mishmash of a lot of different 80s tech stories.

The trouble I'm having is that the story just isn't interesting. The tech they are trying to discover wouldn't be revolutionary at that time. What's season 2 going to be, the development of the 286? Early Windows? Blah. This leaves us with the personal drama side, which is also not compelling; a guy who's going to learn to value his wife, a poor man's Dick Whitman (now with scars!), and a punk coder powered by sex.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
So part of this past episode didn't make much sense to me. Joe is going all emo on his dad, who says something like 'your mom got high and dropped you off a roof' and he responds with something like 'at least she tried!'. Has he ever explained why he's so mad at his dad? All we've seen the dad do is take an interest and try and help him while Joe appears to be a self destructive super narcissist. I assume he must have been at work a lot and not been there for little Joe back in the day?

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Wait, this is getting lower ratings than Low Winter Sun? I thought LWS was as close to 0 as you could get while actually being on TV; which was amazing considering the lead in.

Thanks for the explanations. I guess I followed the details ok, but was confused on how we were support to feel bad about him not getting to be dropped off more roofs or whatever. I'm pretty sure my experience of having a mom who worked all the time but loved us vs. a drugged up POS dad colored my take in favor of his dad.

• Locked thread