Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Bachelor Numpad posted:

I give it about two more episodes before Donna is playing her boss's Texas Instrument.

Pointed direction in the phone call scene where both characters' wedding rings were plainly visible in their phone hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I don't really think she's a bad character as much as the character is a kind of a bad person. That doesn't mean the character is poorly written. It's obvious Cameron is a brat desperately in need of parents, or some other order-imposing authority. She's the epitome of Programmer Hubris and being right about the mythical man month or being able to write a bios from scratch only enable her.

I agree that a brat being bratty is less interesting than a brat not allowed to be bratty. I was somewhat disappointed that Agile Manager Guy got fired, because him sticking around to impose rules would've been interesting for Cameron's character.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Jake Armitage posted:

And Joe's look how good I am with kids! scene was just the complete opposite of everything that came before, in my opinion.

I think it fits, especially with the conversation with Cameron at the beginning of the episode about showing people who you really are, followed by adjusting his outfit after seeing the billboard. He basically just put on a show for the kids and lied to them with flash lights. The storm didn't stop because he waved the flashlights around, but they were entertained nonetheless, and he comes off looking good doing it. This is basically is whole schtick.

Gordon on the other hand waffles back and forth between being smart enough to survive and too dogged for his own good. On one hand, he's not going to let anything stop him from accomplishing what he focuses on (getting a doll, pc design). But he's probably not smart enough to realize when to stop (b&e in a life threatening storm, ignoring his family & getting manipulated by joe).

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 8, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Jake Armitage posted:

If they were dropping hints that Boz is gay, they went right over my head. I took it more as Boz saying two things: first, I'm not as stupid as you (Joe) think I am -- I totally read you like a book, and second, I got your back.

I agree, I was thinking that while normally Joe and Boz were opposed, Boz is the captain of a ship that's starting to slip below water and Joe is the bilge pump. With that idiot designer, he was ripping them off for a design they didn't like. We know that Boz will use violence against people he thinks are jerking him around. The gay innuendo comment just broke the camel's back.

Also:

me, about last episode posted:

Gordon on the other hand waffles back and forth between being smart enough to survive and too dogged for his own good. On one hand, he's not going to let anything stop him from accomplishing what he focuses on (getting a doll, pc design). But he's probably not smart enough to realize when to stop (b&e in a life threatening storm, ignoring his family & getting manipulated by joe).
Add "proving he knows what he's talking about (re: the buried giant)" to that list of examples.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The TI affair bait and the ex-employee neighbor was a nice crisis twist in spirit, but the notion that they'd somehow be able to replicate all of the Cardiff project's specs, design and goals with an even smaller independent team in less time is shoehorned nonsense. That guy got fired in like the 3rd episode. Even if he had stolen the BIOS diagrams, the last time he saw the project was when it was a piece of PCB - forget the LCD screen and the suitcase design.

They didn't actually have a working demo, did they? It looked like they just had an announcement. I thought with the Giant buyout offer, it was going to be that they didn't have anything and were hoping to just rebrand the Giant to Slingshot and sell it as theirs.

Also, Cameron is sort of right that a "more personal" computer is the future, but if they had demo'd her OS, they would've been completely rolled by Apple. Gordon/Joe was right to rip it out and compete with their actual competitors, the other DOS based IBM clones. That's where they want to be for the time being, because that's what will move units.

Also the best line was from the TI guy, retorting to Joe's line about never creating anything, that they're in the "compatible" business. Bingo.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

There's actually a demo of Windows 1.0 in part 3 of the IRL Comdex 83 home video posted on the last page. It's pretty cool.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I liked the finale. I want to see the Giant make the jump to running Windows, and the GUI revolution, and the birth of the web. More time jumps to get there is fine by me.

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

Joe lighting the truck on fire and then standing there contemplating? Am I supposed to find it cool? Deep?

No, you're supposed to see it as infantile and stupid. Joe lashing out because Joe isn't in control is very in character. He sabotaged the secretary's PC earlier in the episode to delay shipment to build a killer app, after all. He's a psychopath with control issues.

hypersleep posted:

It's unfortunate I have to rip on the main female character here, since I'm not one of those "lol girls can't computer" people, but Cameron was an utterly unbelievable character pretty much right from the start, and she only got worse as the show progressed.

This statement doesn't really make any sense. Donna and Cameron are main characters who are women who are both demonstrated to be brilliant in their work. As I posted previously, Cameron's problems aren't "bad writing" because it's the character as designed who is an immature person: "Cameron is brilliant, needs a guardian" is basically who she is in a phrase, and everything she does can be summed up by that. It's part of why she's attracted to Joe, it's why she liked/teamed with/was sad to leave Bosworth, and it's part of why she respects Donna.

Cameron lashing out and being a child and breaking things and spraypainting the walls isn't bad writing because it's completely within the bounds of the character as designed: a 20 year old college dropout hacker prodigy who doesn't have anyone to tell her "no" about anything, (and like Joe) will throw a fit when she doesn't get her way. Check on all fronts. Now she's off starting a revolution (in her mind), nobody has titles! equity for all! (forget about the actual hard work of running an actual business).

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Jake Armitage posted:

No, hypersleep is right. The "design" of this character is idiotic, and there is no way to write her well because of that design.

The kind of work she is doing requires experience and focus, but they chose to give that job to an inexperienced, unfocused mess, and we're supposed to believe that she excels at it.

it has everything to do with her being an immature child with no experience "changing the world" at her first job, on her first project, alone, while throwing tantrums every other minute.

The character is bad, so of course the writing is going to be bad.

You and I are agreeing, except for the last bit. "The character is bad" is different than "the character is a bad person". I don't think the character is written poorly, but the character is kind of a poor person- as we both said, a tantrum throwing child. I've posted this exact thing earlier in this thread.

That a character is a tantrum throwing child doesn't mean they're written poorly. It also doesn't mean they're unrealistic to real life (although "proximity to real life" was not an evaluation criteria in my previous post). You don't have to look very hard irl to find even experienced devs throwing tantrums and verbally spraypainting walls. Go read our very own Cavern of Cobol subforum for awhile to see devs shouting at each other.

I agree Cameron's work requires focus, and so do the writers - that's probably why they had like 5 episodes where she's in a room by herself with her headphones on, typing hard, scribbling on a whiteboard, then getting up and throwing something or hitting delete a lot. But then as soon as she's faced with non-coding problems (like business decisions to not use her My First Basic Program OS) she throws a fit and runs away. Again, not "bad writing" as much as "plausible action by a character who's immature".

Now, I'm not really arguing that this should make you like Cameron more, or like the show more. You're obviously free to continue not being entertained. But I don't think it's fair to misinterpret what the writers are laying down.

• Locked thread