Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean if I went to see a Japanese movie and it turned out to be dubbed I'd be upset too.

For what it's worth, Miyazaki prefers that non-Japanese people view the dubbed versions of his films so they can pay full attention to the detailed animation and artwork. The teams at Disney that handled his films from Princess Mononoke onwards have handled the films exceptionally well, and some people even think that the English versions of Howl's Moving Castle and The Wind Rises improve some aspects of the original Japanese dubs. Studio Ghibli has extensive control over the dubs, with final approval of the scripts. They once sent a samurai sword with "No cuts" engraved on it to Harvey Weinstein when he threatened to pull a Snowpiercer on Princess Mononoke. Of all the Disney dubs of Miyazaki's films, the only ones I don't watch over the Japanese versions are Nausicaa, because Alison Lohman totally blows it as the title character, and the duo of Kiki and Laputa, which were produced before Disney started taking it seriously and feature script and music changes (though Kiki's dub is, despite those changes, pretty good and has Phil Hartman as a talking cat).

Edit: I also switch language tracks at the end of Ponyo because the English song is terrible.

MajorB fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread