Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

JoeCL posted:

The Simpsons would be an interesting case study in this sort of thing because its been so widely exported. Apparently there is even an Arabian version. How do you work around the fact that the main character is an alcoholic in a culture where alcohol is illegal?

The book The Sheikh's Batmobile has a whole chapter about this. I'm not crazy about the style the book is written in, but it's very interesting subject matter.

Great idea for a thread, by the way. The Godzilla movies were always fun for stuff like this. I was just sharing this review of Godzilla vs. King Kong in gen chat the other day that has some interesting stuff about how the American version had to work its way around the "salaryman" plot which was kind of a popular trope in Japan that didn't exist in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Apart from Bollywood stuff the only thing that's coming to mind is that Colombian Breaking Bad remake, but I feel like there's gotta be more I'm forgetting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

It's really interesting to think about all of the 'implied franchises' that end up getting created this way.

The classic example is the Italian "Zombi" franchise.

The original Dawn of the Dead was released in Italy as Zombi, where it was a huge success. So they tried to cash in on it by naming the unrelated Lucio Fulci zombie movie "Zombi 2." Except in America, Zombi 2 was released as "Zombie." So from an American perspective, you have a movie that appears to be a sequel to itself. And then there's Zombi 3 and Zombi 4, which are respectively the third and fourth entries in a series that really only contains 3 movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I love the Italian film industry.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

*It's really not a very solid film. It manages to somehow be even more uneven than Dawn of the Dead, though it does work as an interesting kind of quasi-prequel. I also have no intention of parting with it just because the packaging is beautiful and looks good on my shelf. The really dumb thing I did was give away the one-sheet that came with it.

If you're referring to Zombi 2, I actually think it's a minor masterpiece. I urge you to revisit it. The tropical island setting is hugely effective and was extremely influential within the Italian horror scene, and the Fabio Frizzi score is one of my favorite movie soundtracks ever.

Anyway, in a similar example, there's the Evil Dead Trap films, a series of Hong Kong horror movies that have nothing to do with Evil Dead, and in fact have a lot more in common with Fulci-style giallo pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean if I went to see a Japanese movie and it turned out to be dubbed I'd be upset too.

If it's an old B-movie or whatever I can deal, but I can't see myself paying to see a new release foreign movie in dubbed rather than subtitled format, no matter how many famous people they get to do the voices.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 26, 2014

• Locked thread