Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

lizardman posted:

As for film, it's not quite a remake, but Japan has their own alternate Paranormal Activity 2. There's also a Japanese version of Sideways as well as a Chinese remake of What Women Want (this is available on Netflix Instant the last time I checked!).

To be a stickler, Tokyo Night is called PA2 because it's a sequel to the original, not because it's a remake of PA2. It's much more similar to PA1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Though merely an element, wouldn't that strengthen that particular motif? I mean "consumers as mindless zombies" is a surface level observation, but there's a lot more going on textually, as you say.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't think it's an arbitrary reading at all, because the European/Argento cut is fundamentally and noticeably different to anyone who watches it. The main reason that I dislike it is that it cuts around the jokes but I don't think they're just frivolous little asides.

The eclectic carnivalesque of Romero's cut with less Goblin and more library music is much sillier but also much more apocalyptic, there's a real exuberance a lot of similar films don't have (just as many post apoc Road Warrior ripoffs would never allow their hero to do something so uncool as eating dog food). The anarchic license to take lives is the primary source of thrills for a lot of characters in Dawn of the Dead, and it's filtered by acculturation. In some cases, it's a duty, in others, a wild, undisciplined urge - we have tribes of cops, bikers, city folk, good ol' boys, slum dwellers, etc. seeking different ends in an orgy of slaughter.

That's something that gets lost when talking about this movie, it comes from a social milieu that is in upheaval, specifically post-industry Pennsylvania, blighted by urban shambles and ever encroaching suburbanization: remember that a mall in this film is so new that the characters aren't even familiar enough with the concept to be colloquial about it. There's a specificity about the setting that none of his other Dead films (besides his last two, oddly) don't have. I'm gonna homage you and quote myself:

quote:

Dawn is an independent film explicitly set in Pennsylvania, a weird state that is an awful lot like Appalachia with big East Coast cities in it, a big part of the chain of cities from Gary, Indiana all the way over to Jersey City, NJ that make up the charmingly squalid "Rust Belt". On top of that, it's the late seventies, a decade past the major race riots, right in the middle of a horrendous decline in American industry - whole cities are now teeming slums. Woolie, a tuned-up SWAT grunt, possibly ex-Vietnam, possibly ex-steel worker or something, is working urban poor, a nice reminder that white flight didn't include all whites, because blue collar workers got hosed over just the same.

The sick joke is that aging, poorly thought out Section 8 housing may indeed not be far off from "what he's got" and anyway, the opening scenes of the film make abundantly clear that everyone's out for themselves. The living dead are just a part of this, they are clearing out the projects because they're ordered to but run into resistance because a greasepainted white guy named "Martinez" has seized control during martial law. The MOVE bombing in Philadelphia happened the same year, in fact.

The depiction of racialized urban violence follows directly from the intrusion of ugly status-quo comeuppance of Night of the Living Dead (both the daughter killing her mother with a garden trowel and the harrowing photocollage of Ben's execution seem to follow from the strange, dated, decade-behind aesthetic of the film, as it seems more a comment on the underpinnings of late fifties than the late sixties). They are not merely reacting to the world ending and surviving and making tactical errors and whatnot, they are enjoying the ending of the world. They're having a ball - and it's not just Woolie, obviously. They're having a great time kicking off while also being completely miserable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Subtlety be damned, IMO.

• Locked thread