Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
Let the Right One In is one of those movies that changes a lot based on which version of subtitles/dub you see. When it was first available on Netflix Instant, the subtitles were supposedly very accurate. The dubbed version seemed to be based on this version of the subtitles, but it had bad voice actors with annoying accents. The movie became available on DVD later, but it's subtitles were very different from the Netflix Instant version. They left out entire lines, including most of the jokes. They changed the last words of a major character for no apparent reason, except maybe to make it clearer to really dumb people why he was doing what he was doing. I didn't get around to watching it until the Netflix Instant version was gone, and I was stuck into choosing between a hokey but accurate dubbed version or a very poor subtitled version.

Vampire Hunter D has a really terrible dub. When I first saw the movie back in the early '90s it was kind of a guilty pleasure - it had a lot of cool scenes but so much of it seemed very cheesy. About a decade later I got the DVD version and watched the subtitled version and was amazed at how different it was. I understand why dubs often can't have a word-for-word translation of what characters are saying, but the dubbed version does a lot more than bad translation. For instance, there is a scene at the beginning where a character meets a vampire, and in the English dubbed version I first saw there's horrible '80s synth music while he gives a fast speech explaining who he is before he attacks the person. In the original soundtrack, there's no music and no speech, just the vampire standing silently for a few seconds. It's a far more powerful scene that way. There's also a scene where a character threatens to kill themselves. In the dub, this character threatens to run away and never come back. I could understand softening that if this was a children's movie, but this was a hard R with nudity and tons of gore, why did they need to change that? On top of the parts added to the movie that make it worse, there are things left out of the dub that make the movie a lot more confusing. I was always a bit confused about why a certain character does some counter-productive things in the English version, in the subtitles it's made clear that he is betraying his master, this aspect of the plot was completely left out and it's made to seem like he's still serving his master but just being really stupid about it. There was a scene where the hero fights a ghost then punches a hole in a wall to kill a monster hidden inside. In the subtitles, it's made clear that this monster is projecting the ghost and that the hero was trying to sense where it was hidden. There are also lots of changes to the sound effects, some of the monsters are given really ridiculous vocalizations that they don't have in the original, weird synth effects are added all over the place where there are just normal folio sound effects in the original.

A more subtle example of this is the Disney dub of Kiki's Delivery Service. There's no explanation for the bells in the trees, the parting scene between Kiki and her dad is completely different, and Kiki acts like a brat a few times in the English dub while in the original she's never rude and almost always polite. There's also the cat thing, but I think expecting American audiences to handle a male cat who sounds like a female might be a bit much for a children's movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread