Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I find the 80s/90s anime dubs sort of endearing, a bit, even with many of the plot changes they make.

When Animeigo was still one of the only anime companies in the US, I remember a lot of their VHS releases used to contain little pamphlets on parts of the stories that might not have relevance to US audiences to more or less explain the joke to us, superstitions, cultural mores, pop culture references, etc.

Alhazred posted:

In a similar vein Spinal Tap in Norway was titled "Help! We're in Music Miz", Airplane was called "Help! We're Flying" Christmas Vacation got the title "Help! We're on Christmas Vacation" and so on. Almost every comedy released in the eighties had Help in the title.

In the commentary track for Danger: Diabolik, one of the guys mentions in the 60s spy movies ended up having some alternate titles for different markets and to try to use words used in the titles of other spy movies to grab some popularity.

I think he mentions 'Operation' was fairly common word that got used in such alternate titles. For example, "OK Connery" ended up being what we know from MST3K as "Operation Double 007" or "Operation Kid Brother" in the US.

I think subject comes up with a plan in the movie being announced as "Operation Gold Van" and he suggests that the filmmakers intentionally chose to highlight it in dialogue as they did within the film in case they released it in some markets as "Operation Gold Van".

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I like the English dub of Princess Mononoke a little better than the subtitled version, if that counts. The dub script was written by Neil Gaiman and it's fantastic.

A few years after this came out in the US, a theater did a midnight showing of it as part and it got literal booing from the audience for being the dubbed version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I know people get really hung up on the sub/dub debate, and there are times I've watched a Japanese dubbed episode of the Simpsons that felt like they worked really well with the new voices despite the fact I was only going off of inflection and subtitles to get the story of the episode.

I figure if I'm secure enough to have western animation redubbed for a foreign audience, I can be secure enough to tolerate have foreign animation redubbed for a US audience.

Heck, I have to admit, I really liked what I heard/saw of the Japanese dub of The Dark Knight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBlG5AXcb-k

There's a whole different tone in the delivery, it feels, from the Ledger version of the character. The Japanese Joker sounds more like he's a bit more 'with it' in some ways than Ledger's Joker, but a bit more 'crazy' in others. It just has a feel like the Japanese Joker comes off as more a really disturbed gangster. The voice actor seems to be playing down the mania.

Like I said, only going from subtitles and inflection to judge quality, it feels very different, but still good.

• Locked thread