Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Silver Falcon posted:

Ya'll getting bored with the game obviously have not been doing enough rap battles!

That's Carl Sagan delivering a very apropos line. Unfortunately, Reggie beat him.

This one amused me.

So does the little dance the Miis do when their side wins. Miyamoto looks like he's going "Gangnam Style" over there!

Still not as funny as "Cats don't like you."

Do those things ever end? They take so long between lines that I just get bored of it after about a minute. In fact, I don't know if any of this game's scenes are supposed to end or if I'm supposed to click the back button to exit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Bummey posted:

Do those things ever end? They take so long between lines that I just get bored of it after about a minute. In fact, I don't know if any of this game's scenes are supposed to end or if I'm supposed to click the back button to exit.

They end when somebody fucks up and can't make a rhyme.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I do hope if they make another tomodachi life game they put in more features and content. I have a lot of people on my island, like near 50 at this point and I have a fairly diverse amount of personality types.

What is the fourth Independent type? I have Lone Wolf, Artist, and Thinker.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I've been stuck at eleven people for a while now.

I just have no drive to add new people.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Got this game earlier this week. I've got a few friends, some made up characters and something like 7 different versions of myself. Earlier today my primary Mii wanted to start dating one of the lady Miis who was already dating another version of me. He got rejected and sulked in his room for hours.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This proposal minigame is some hot bullshit, man! At the last part, the window you have is so minimally tiny! I was so close to getting Nikki (from swapnote) and the Persona 4 protag married. Although, I guess it's supposed to be hard.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

They end when somebody fucks up and can't make a rhyme.

And the loving up lines can be priceless.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Amppelix posted:

This proposal minigame is some hot bullshit, man! At the last part, the window you have is so minimally tiny! I was so close to getting Nikki (from swapnote) and the Persona 4 protag married. Although, I guess it's supposed to be hard.

I feel bad that I intentionally ruined a proposal attempt by Sailor Venus towards Lelouch.

It was pretty funny seeing her get cut off by a train, an announcement, and some rear end in a top hat making the loudest sneeze ever.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've got a lot of islanders!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

mabels big day posted:

I've got a lot of islanders!

Are Dr. Wily and Dr. Eggman Besties? Because they should be.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Amppelix posted:

I beat that minigame on my first try, but that means my Mii is married to Cersei Lannister. :confuoot:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

my island address is right here:

shinji island
752-342 pizza isles
melon ocean

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Amppelix posted:

It took me three tries and one break up but I found it's better to just skip the first time they show the other mii and the next time they're up longer.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Press the Home button when you see they're thinking of their loved one, resume the game and immediately start holding the stylus on the heart to prevent the game from changing it to something else.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

OK, so here's what happens when you let your husband mess around with your game for awhile:

Oh, this should be interesting.

:catstare:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

OK, so here's what happens when you let your husband mess around with your game for awhile:

Oh, this should be interesting.

:catstare:

This is the kind of stuff I can never find the motivation or desire to bother with, but I'm glad when other people do.

Tomodachi Life dot jpg

NEWS FLASH
"Daria Ducks were spotted doing <something I don't remember>"

Daria ducks? What the gently caress is a Dar-- :stare:

Bummey fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 14, 2014

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I kind of wish you could dye skin tones the same way you can dye hair. Sometimes I want to make characters (fantasy characters in particular) whose skin doesn't really fit any of the Mii skin options.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Anime Device posted:

my island address is right here:

shinji island
752-342 pizza isles
melon ocean

What are the addresses even for?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

What are the addresses even for?

I honestly have no loving clue. There doesn't appear to be any sort of Animal Crossing-like visiting or interactivity, not that there's anyone on one island that isn't on the other. Import/Export goods, maybe? But aren't those transferred via street pass?

e: Oh wait, can't you send one of your people to another person's island? Maybe it's for that. I don't know how to do it, though, and I haven't seen one of the many hand holdy tutorials mention it yet.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 14, 2014

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I've sent a few of my mii's to my friends games via qr code and in their information, it shows my island's address.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rocketlex posted:

I kind of wish you could dye skin tones the same way you can dye hair. Sometimes I want to make characters (fantasy characters in particular) whose skin doesn't really fit any of the Mii skin options.

Speaking of fantasy options, I got a "Meadow" interior inside a Mystery Bag that's pretty much the perfect room for [ERROR]. There's a few backgrounds in the game that I had already come across that seemed to fit nicely with her but this one was like, almost purposely styled to look less-detailed like it came from a N64 title.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Speaking of fantasy options, I got a "Meadow" interior inside a Mystery Bag that's pretty much the perfect room for [ERROR]. There's a few backgrounds in the game that I had already come across that seemed to fit nicely with her but this one was like, almost purposely styled to look less-detailed like it came from a N64 title.

In my own game I've left her in the blank, white-walled room with which she arrived. I'll keep an eye out for that one, though.

Also she and Shaquille O'Neil have been sweethearts for a week now and neither has even tried to propose.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The one thing that annoys the hell out of me so far is that there doesn't seem to be any real way to force things to happen. Just as an example, I have two miis that have a 95% compatibility rating, they went on two dates, the girl asked me why they kept getting set up and I said that they were super compatible, and nothing comes of it. It's like, why can't I at least poke the guy and be like "I'm god around here, you're going on a date with her"?

This is only slightly exacerbated by the game turning around and having two people with a 20% compatibility go on one date and immediately become sweethearts. :psyduck:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Artix posted:

The one thing that annoys the hell out of me so far is that there doesn't seem to be any real way to force things to happen. Just as an example, I have two miis that have a 95% compatibility rating, they went on two dates, the girl asked me why they kept getting set up and I said that they were super compatible, and nothing comes of it. It's like, why can't I at least poke the guy and be like "I'm god around here, you're going on a date with her"?

This is only slightly exacerbated by the game turning around and having two people with a 20% compatibility go on one date and immediately become sweethearts. :psyduck:

Me too! Once I got the compatibility meter, I plugged in my mii and my boyfriend's. We got 95% and I thought "Ha, awesome." And now both our miis are married/sweethearts with much lower-compatibility miis, and barely even notice each other. I wish there was at least a little more control-- it's fun seeing who winds up with whom, but I want to see certain miis maybe interact a little once in a while. :colbert:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'm pretty sure NONE of the couples on my island have compatibility worth a drat. The whole "Boy Charm" and "Girl Charm" doesn't seem to have much of an influence on anything either.

Part of me hopes this game is completely random and it just throws a bunch of nonsense charts at the player to drive the obsessives insane.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
On the friendship side, Buttercup and Bubbles had a fight, but a few hours later they made up. My gf's Mii and my own have been in a fight for three days (despite 97% compatibility) and no sign of making up, while I've had to stop the Creeper and Vegeta from making passes on her.
I feel like i'm near gazing at the abyss in term of Sim games with this stuff.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rocketlex posted:

I'm pretty sure NONE of the couples on my island have compatibility worth a drat. The whole "Boy Charm" and "Girl Charm" doesn't seem to have much of an influence on anything either.

Part of me hopes this game is completely random and it just throws a bunch of nonsense charts at the player to drive the obsessives insane.

They made a bunch of extra music for the game but didn't have any place to put the tracks in, so they came up with all the extraneous ranking board sections.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I really wish that you could just tell Miis to go say hi to another Mii.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Yeah you have very limited control in the game, it's meant to be a sort of indirect interaction with them. You're supposed to let things happen spontaneously instead of trying to make them happen.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

mabels big day posted:

Yeah you have very limited control in the game, it's meant to be a sort of indirect interaction with them. You're supposed to let things happen spontaneously instead of trying to make them happen.

Yeah but the Miis rarely interact with each other. A good half of my Miis don't have more than one friend at the most.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah but the Miis rarely interact with each other. A good half of my Miis don't have more than one friend at the most.

I've got that problem as well but I also only have like 11 miis with two couples, one married and one I'm trying to break up.

I just want Shinji to try and be friends with Asuka and the Sailor Scouts to all be friends with eachother. But nope that's not happening they just want new hats and food.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

they just want new hats and food.

TF2 is very popular on the island.

This game feels like it's a start for an amazing sequel. I enjoy it, it's cute and entertaining, but it feels like there's a lot of things missing or that could be done better. For example, you can't check in on a group of Miis when they're hanging out together. Everyone disappears but whoever owns the apartment and that seems really contrary to the very idea behind the game.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Once you pass about 24 Miis you hit a tipping point where there's almost always someone needing your help with something. Populate those islands!

EDIT: There's one cute little touch people might not have noticed in this game. When your Miis play with the Wii U, the game they're playing is clearly Nintendo Land. Their movements and the accompanying sound effects mimic several Nintendo Land mini games. I've seen them playing the Metroid one, the Zelda one, and that Ninja throwing star one. It's usually more obvious when they're playing multiplayer.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 15, 2014

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Rocketlex posted:

Once you pass about 24 Miis you hit a tipping point where there's almost always someone needing your help with something. Populate those islands!

EDIT: There's one cute little touch people might not have noticed in this game. When your Miis play with the Wii U, the game they're playing is clearly Nintendo Land. Their movements and the accompanying sound effects mimic several Nintendo Land mini games. I've seen them playing the Metroid one, the Zelda one, and that Ninja throwing star one. It's usually more obvious when they're playing multiplayer.

They also do that Octopus game, that or people just dance in the background without remotes for fun. It sort of looks like they play Tomodachi Life on their 3DS, but I can't really tell.

I've got around 6 couples married now, with Waluigi and Nikki from Swapnote being the latest pair. Hoping that baby Genesis will grow up soon so I can see what the kids do.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

pichupal posted:

They also do that Octopus game, that or people just dance in the background without remotes for fun. It sort of looks like they play Tomodachi Life on their 3DS, but I can't really tell.

I've got around 6 couples married now, with Waluigi and Nikki from Swapnote being the latest pair. Hoping that baby Genesis will grow up soon so I can see what the kids do.

They definitely have the Tomodachi interface on the 3ds.

Hank Hill is married to Ashley Graham from Resident Evil. They got together when [ERROR] decided to play matchmaker, though shortly thereafter she tried to win Hill's heart. Can't wait to see their hideous child at some point.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Yesssss, Nintendo just spotpassed a Sakurai Mii. Now he can join the other Nintendo employees (and Gaben) in this virtual hellhole.

Then I streetpassed 7 people and somehow got a pass for every game I have EXCEPT this one :argh:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Today I unlocked the "Vegas Performer" outfit. The progression from there was obvious.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
One of my Miis just dreamt of a giant Hank Hill rising out of the ocean. I wish I had thought to screen cap it.

Green Jacket
Oct 23, 2008

Suddenly I have a refreshing mint flavor!
I assume I'm just forgetting what clothing I gave people, but I swear one Mii is now wearing clothing I gave his Sweetheart (it's gender neutral clothing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Rocketlex posted:

I'm not sure how anyone got the impression that the compatibility tester was anything more than a horoscope machine (i.e. it compares birthdays to get the stuff it does. It even says it needs full birthdays!) that is only for fun and affects exactly nothing in the game.

That charts seem to have a nickel of truth to them, except for the Balance ranking which is equally nonsense. But the popularity ranking seems to correspond with most friends pretty well, and pampered ranking with how much you interact with miis.

• Locked thread