Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Another way to get clothes is to give an islander a sewing machine, which is one of the items they can give you for solving their problems.

As an added bonus, the clothes item an islander creates will always (I think) make them happier if you give it to them, and that pattern will be added to your shop so you can buy more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I made you all something.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

avlein posted:

Miis can crossdress? It's revolutionary!

Yep, though apparently male miis don't tend to gain happiness from being given women's clothing. That being said, male miis will readily put on blush and eyeshadow if given the Beauty Kit as a gift, which I found rather surprising.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

mikeycp posted:

None of the girls I've given male clothing have been happy about it either.

One of mine was. It was a biker jacket. (I forget exactly what it was called.) It's probably just a much lower percent chance.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

FirstAidKite posted:

I have no idea what this is. What is it supposed to be a reference to?

A short story I wrote for another thread in Games a while back.

But anyway, I have a PRO TIP for all of you! If a Mii is heartbroken over relationship stuff, giving them a trip with a Travel Ticket will clear away their sadness instantly, no matter how full the sadness bar is!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

tentawesome posted:

How do you unlock this!?

It's an event at the Amusement Park. To unlock that, a Mii has to confess their love to another Mii. You'll see a heart icon by a Mii's window when it wants to do this (or it wants to propose to the mii it's currently dating). The confession of love doesn't have to be returned, either. I unlocked it when one of my OCs confessed her love to Duke Nukem only to be shot down.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Organic Robot posted:

I'm so on the fence about buying this game. I'm just worried it'll get boring really fast if I play ~1 hour a day.

While the gameplay is very different, the progression is similar to Animal Crossing. This game has a lot of content, but it's titrated slowly day by day. If that kind of game appeals to you, you'll love Tomodachi Life.

EDIT: How are people exporting video from the Music Hall? Is it something you unlock or do that many people really own 3DS capture devices?

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 8, 2014

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

FutonForensic posted:

Where should I be moving the feather for the sneezing minigame?

This is an extremely serious question.

Move the tip across the nose. Don't flail wildly, just wiggle it a little. Don't break nose-contact.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I wish I could use Play Coins or something to force shops to rotate their specials faster than once a day. That, or I wish the game started you with more stuff to buy.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm sad that the band/multiple performer options for songs don't have multiple people singing in them. At least in the ones I have so far.

Musical does. It owns.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Yeah, I feel like the reason Player Look-a-Likes tend to get popular is because they're the first one, so they get the most chances to meet everyone. Like real life, a large part of falling in love in Tomodachi Life is just proximity.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE!?

For such a simple game, I am having way too much fun with this.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
In case you're curious, beating Tomodachi Quest nets you whatever item the boss was. I've only played it twice, but I imagine it will either be an expensive treasure or a type of food you don't have yet. Pretty worth it, I'd say.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

The Bee posted:

Rocketlex finish the story.

I kid, I kid. In all seriousness, nice Mii! Should spread the QR code around too: after all, we just saw her and didn't turn off our computers.

You can't really make a faceless mii (not well, anyway) so I had to get a bit creative.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

TEHJOE posted:

It's worth having one child just to use the adultify spray once. It's amazing.

So is the Kid-o-Matic, its counterpart.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Getting around the obscenity filter reminds me of trying to string together obscene phrases out of the pre-fab words in Pokemon Diamond.

And like Pokemon Diamond, this game does not consider "PLEASE ACCEPT MY ROCK-SOLID LOCOMOTIVE!" to be obscene, so of course I always recommend it as a pick-up line. (100% success rate so far.)

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
If you haven't tried it, the Night Market at the theme park is great. $50 gets you three random new clothing and/or food items, which will go on sale in your shops once you get them.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I haven't found anyone's favorite food, but so far two people have declared Shaq's recipe for coleslaw to be the Absolute Worst.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I kind of wish you could dye skin tones the same way you can dye hair. Sometimes I want to make characters (fantasy characters in particular) whose skin doesn't really fit any of the Mii skin options.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Speaking of fantasy options, I got a "Meadow" interior inside a Mystery Bag that's pretty much the perfect room for [ERROR]. There's a few backgrounds in the game that I had already come across that seemed to fit nicely with her but this one was like, almost purposely styled to look less-detailed like it came from a N64 title.

In my own game I've left her in the blank, white-walled room with which she arrived. I'll keep an eye out for that one, though.

Also she and Shaquille O'Neil have been sweethearts for a week now and neither has even tried to propose.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'm pretty sure NONE of the couples on my island have compatibility worth a drat. The whole "Boy Charm" and "Girl Charm" doesn't seem to have much of an influence on anything either.

Part of me hopes this game is completely random and it just throws a bunch of nonsense charts at the player to drive the obsessives insane.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Once you pass about 24 Miis you hit a tipping point where there's almost always someone needing your help with something. Populate those islands!

EDIT: There's one cute little touch people might not have noticed in this game. When your Miis play with the Wii U, the game they're playing is clearly Nintendo Land. Their movements and the accompanying sound effects mimic several Nintendo Land mini games. I've seen them playing the Metroid one, the Zelda one, and that Ninja throwing star one. It's usually more obvious when they're playing multiplayer.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 15, 2014

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Today I unlocked the "Vegas Performer" outfit. The progression from there was obvious.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
So hey, interesting discovery made today. :siren:Miis can get divorced.:siren:

Two of my married Miis had an argument and got that firey "angry" aura around themselves. One of my other Miis tried to calm them down, but it didn't work. Following this, I was given the option to tell one of them to "Move on" or "Try to Patch Things Up" (or something similar.) Selecting "Move on" results in the two divorcing. Note that this causes BOTH of their happiness meters to fill with sadness, and the marriage ends.

It should also be noted that the two, despite falling in love quickly, had very low compatibility. It's possible this was involved in their...irreconcilable differences.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 16, 2014

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
With the help of an outfit Sakurai made, Shaq has now achieved his true form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Probably the most obscure character I've added to my island yet, but I'm pretty happy with how this Madotsuki came out.

• Locked thread