Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Looks like I might end up watching some things this season. Spring and summer were massively disappointing. I ended up having to watch shows with real people in them. Disgusting.

e: Wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Namtab posted:

I'm the opposite, only things with titys are good.

... Reimu?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Namtab posted:

I'm the opposite, only things with titys are good.

This is true because as a misandrist I

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I'm not really sure where else to put this, so I'll lay it down here: Masahiro Ando's Under the Dog Kickstarter [which looked like it would probably fall well short of its goal] is up to $430k of a $580k goal, aided in part [I suppose] by a letter of support from Hideo Kojima, with just under 4 days to go. Kojima's endorsement might mean something to some people, but it doesn't make much of a difference to me. Anyway, looks like they'll probably just barely scrape by as this thing goes down to the wire.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah the Project Phoenix dudes have been pushing it pretty hard too.

Got this in my e-mail today. I can't help it, it just doesn't look terribly exciting to me. Sorry, starving artists :(

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 6, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Why would Kojima do a kickstarter? :confused:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 6, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
There are lots of movies out there, some of them he hasn't even ripped off or referenced yet.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

SSNeoman posted:

I can't help it, it just doesn't look terribly exciting to me. Sorry, starving artists :(

I wouldn't say that I am especially excited about Under the Dog in particular, but I'm a total sucker for those late-80's/90's one-shot scifi OVAs so I'm stoked about the prospect of that kind thing making a bit of a comeback through Kickstarter. So I don't feel bad dropping :20bux: towards making that happen.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Great Rumbler posted:

I wouldn't say that I am especially excited about Under the Dog in particular, but I'm a total sucker for those late-80's/90's one-shot scifi OVAs so I'm stoked about the prospect of that kind thing making a bit of a comeback through Kickstarter. So I don't feel bad dropping :20bux: towards making that happen.

The :20bux: gets you the whole series of films in digital format according to an update they put out the other day. Also access to a forum where a lot of drama is almost guaranteed.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I don't generally care too much about official forums for Kickstarter, but a series of slick scifi OVAs is fine with me.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Aaand it's funded.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
They've really been tearing it up today. I'm not sure what, specifically, it was that sparked that, but they've pulled down nearly $135k today and they still haven't hit the final 48 hours yet.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Great Rumbler posted:

I'm not sure what, specifically, it was that sparked that

Hiroaki Yura did an AMA on reddit yesterday, which seems to have resulted in a huge upswing in funding.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh hey Orange is working on it? At least the CGI stuff will look good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh hey Orange is working on it? At least the CGI stuff will look good.

Them and the Sword of the Stranger staff. So spectacular battle choreography seems likely.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Is no one else enjoying Tokyo Ghoul?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

It's rushing too much stuff for me to enjoy it. The manga is just too much better for me. I'm entertained but not enough to praise it

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

boredsatellite posted:

It's rushing too much stuff for me to enjoy it. The manga is just too much better for me. I'm entertained but not enough to praise it

Yeah I started reading the manga a few episodes in and it's weird how out of order everything is.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Miyano Mamoru chewing the scenery is the only reason to keep watching Tokyo Ghoul. Every time I decide to drop the show, his character shows up again.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

grrarg posted:

Miyano Mamoru chewing the scenery is the only reason to keep watching Tokyo Ghoul. Every time I decide to drop the show, his character shows up again.

Kira cartoonishly evil style or Tamaki endearingly idiotic style? Or... pray tell, Mad Scientist style?

This is important.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Kira cartoonishly evil style or Tamaki endearingly idiotic style? Or... pray tell, Mad Scientist style?

This is important.

Cartoonishly evil and cartoonishly gay.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Candy Dawn posted:

Yeah I started reading the manga a few episodes in and it's weird how out of order everything is.

This makes that whole show make a lot more sense. The pacing & flow has felt really frikkin' weird, even though I have enjoyed it a lot. Even just the worldbuilding and cool tail-wings are fun and, as mentioned, Miyano Mamoru's character is really great, I have no idea who that VA is but I could guess who you guys were referring to easily when you call him a scenery chewer.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

XboxPants posted:

Miyano Mamoru

He really doesn't have that much range, but he knows to use his voice really well when it comes to over the top characters, like:

• Light Yagami - Death Note (really creepy, over-the-top Villain Protagonist)
  • Rintaro Okabe - Steins;Gate (really dorky manchild who's best friend is a bona-fide goon/2channer)
  • Tamaki Suou - Ouran High School Host Club. (Typical Shoujo Pretty Boy, except instead of being an abusive dick, he's a gigantic but very endearing idiot).
  • Death the Kid - Soul Eater (goofy idiot with OCD levels of obsession with symmetry)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Mamoru has some more subdued roles that work too, like Taichi in Chihayafuru and Rin in Free!, and he loving owned as a really really over the top villain as Berg Katze in Gatchaman Crowds. But yea, in my head he's always Takuto from Star Driver, because come on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5NTMFraP2Y

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I think the best description of his Tokyo Ghoul performance is Berg Katze's batshit insanity with a dash of Okabe's random English and rolling syllables. He cracks me up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

grrarg posted:

I think the best description of his Tokyo Ghoul performance is Berg Katze's batshit insanity with a dash of Okabe's random English and rolling syllables. He cracks me up.

Except that it's French this time.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I was so sure Glasslip would start making sense towards the end but now I'm just even more confused.

What the gently caress is this show even about? It would be a pretty cute coming of age show if only they scrapped the crazy hallucinations and poo poo.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Candy Dawn posted:

Is no one else enjoying Tokyo Ghoul?

Apparently the final chapter of the manga came out (unless it's moving to a sequel) and holy gently caress what a poo poo ending.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

SpazmasterX posted:

Apparently the final chapter of the manga came out (unless it's moving to a sequel) and holy gently caress what a poo poo ending.

Yeah, that was terrible holy poo poo.

And it's getting an anime, so clearly it was popular enough that it probably didn't get cancelled...

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, that was terrible holy poo poo.

And it's getting an anime, so clearly it was popular enough that it probably didn't get cancelled...

That's not necessarily a given, sometimes they use anime as an attempt to drive up manga sales, or because they think the subject matter in anime form may have some factor that'll draw attention.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

So Tokyo Ghoul overall is not recommendable? I've bought the first three volumes already. (Haven't read them yet.)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

So Tokyo Ghoul overall is not recommendable? I've bought the first three volumes already. (Haven't read them yet.)

I would say that 80 chapters of it is good, but then it turns into a dull shounen fighting manga during the last half of its run. It starts being less of an intriguing psychological character study and more pages and pages of boring dialogue when it isn't being taken up by confusing fight scenes. I'm honestly convinced that one of the reasons it's still kind of popular is because of the Mamoru Miyano character since he's a fabulous hammy guy.

Also, just read the ending and yeah, that was awful and dull.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Ah, I guess I'll read it until I don't like it anymore then.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Compendium posted:

I would say that 80 chapters of it is good, but then it turns into a dull shounen fighting manga during the last half of its run.

I was getting that vibe in like the second episode of the anime, you mean to say it actually gets more shouneny? Yeesh. Guess I won't bother picking it back up, then. Too bad, I actually liked the horror elements.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
drat, I didn't realize there was another Sengoku Basara series! :negative: I loved Samurai Kings, so I'm hoping this one holds up.

Fake Edit: Series starts with Yukimura getting punched. All seems to be right for now. :allears:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Compendium posted:

I would say that 80 chapters of it is good, but then it turns into a dull shounen fighting manga during the last half of its run. It starts being less of an intriguing psychological character study and more pages and pages of boring dialogue when it isn't being taken up by confusing fight scenes. I'm honestly convinced that one of the reasons it's still kind of popular is because of the Mamoru Miyano character since he's a fabulous hammy guy.

Also, just read the ending and yeah, that was awful and dull.

I wouldn't say it gets more shounen-y, so much as the main character is forced to man up and become a person killing monster like he is.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

drat, I didn't realize there was another Sengoku Basara series! :negative: I loved Samurai Kings, so I'm hoping this one holds up.

Fake Edit: Series starts with Yukimura getting punched. All seems to be right for now. :allears:

I watched the first episode and didn't like it. It wasn't anywhere near over the top enough, where's the nuclear fight explosions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

ninjewtsu posted:

I watched the first episode and didn't like it. It wasn't anywhere near over the top enough, where's the nuclear fight explosions

You don't get Basara, I'd say Judge End way more Basara than the previous series. It's not as flashy as the IG series but the writers absofuckinglutely know how to capture the essence of the franchise. It literally opens up with Mitsunari CRYING TEARS OF BLOOD because his parental figures are dead.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 14, 2014

• Locked thread