Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I don't understand this even a little but I want in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Is this like a Grudge Match thing where we debate about whose team would win in an imaginary fight?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Mr. Penis, there is 0 to understand. Draft whatever characters you want. You can go well known, you can go obscure, you can do whatever. Debating whether your pick was awesome or terrible is what makes drafts enjoyable.

There is not going to be a battle royale at the end. If you want to draft characters with the assumption that you're going to fight the rest of the teams, okay, a little weird, but you're good. Just make sure you elaborate the reasons you picked your character (however short or long you want to do it).

TEAMS SIGNED UP

-Arkane
-Team Airbud
-jimcunningham
-Gatts
-scary ghost dog
-penismightier
-
-
-
-PLACEHOLDER

3 spots left, possibly 4 depending on one of my friends. If we get filled before noon tomorrow, maybe expand it to 12 teams.

TrixRabbi you have like half of the posts in this thread; you are on the cusp of being automatically in.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 6, 2014

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I'm so powerfully in

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
You're making this sound like a lovely office pool. "Yeah, we just need two more, my buddy from the warehouse said he might play". You can put me down, but I'm leaving my picks as is. Sure, pick the Terminator or whatever, I've got eight copies of fuckin Jesus.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
What the gently caress, I'm in. Sure. I'll post my team tonight when I'm good and drunk.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It's a round by round draft, and we're going 1 pick at a time. So we'll have a #1 overall pick, then #2 overall pick, etc. Draft order will be random once we fill out the teams.

It'll probably take a few days depending on how fast people pick. People that are signed up gotta check the thread every once in a while and PM people to let them know their turn is up.

Sorry if that wasn't clear...if anyone wants to out, no worries.

-Arkane
-Team Airbud
-jimcunningham
-Gatts
-scary ghost dog
-penismightier
-Sex Haver 40000
-Vargo?
-
-PLACEHOLDER

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Man there are so many ways to do this I don't know how to approach this draft.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
This is such a beautiful dumb trainwreck, I love it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dibs on air bud

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Started off as a trainwreck, but we're in good shape here.

Just need a couple more sign-ups and we can get this show on the road.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Arkane posted:

Just need a couple more sign-ups and we can get this show on the road.

I'll sin up twice if you need it. I can two fist this thing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

dibs on air bud

get youre hands off my Airbud

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I'll play - sign me up.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Is it too late to be in? I thought I already was in.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Arkane posted:

Nah bro it's still a trainwreck

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I better be in. If I missed the cutoff you'll be hearing from my lawyers.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, you're in. And everybody has Plat so I don't have to buy it for anybody. Will requote the rules and kick this off in a sec.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here are our 10 teams:

Arkane
Team Airbud
jimcunningham
Gatts
scary ghost dog
penismightier
Sex Haver 40000
Vargo
JoeRules
TrixRabbi

And the draft order is....

We're doing snake, so we reverse it in the 2nd round. So I'll draft first, etc.

If a couple more people want to join, just request to be in, and we'll add you to the end of round 1.

Reminder of the rules:

Arkane posted:

• PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS UNDRAFTED CHARACTERS. You'll be tempted to do it, but try to avoid it.
  • Has to be a character from something that was shown in a movie theater; no miniseries or television movies.
  • Can be any type of "character" however loosely defined. Addendum: but something that is an actual character, not a location or a mood or an idea or some bullshit like that.
  • You get the character from all sequels/prequels/whatever even if the actor changed.
  • YOU MUST CHECK THE THREAD. You will have 8 hours, give or take, to make your pick or you're skipped (1am to 9am EST does not count in the 8 hours).
  • Everybody has PMs, so please do the courtesy of letting the next person after you know that it is their turn.

Draft starts now. Gatts is up.

For your picks, please put it in bold and include a write-up/picture/jiff/youtube/some sort of flavor about why your pick is awesome. Any dumbasses can just draft random poo poo, the key is the write-ups. If you don't have time, make your pick and do the write-up later. As a for instance of a write-up, something like the below is adequate.

quote:

Round 1, Pick 1 of the History Draft

I pick George Washington. Because America.

Picks will also be tabulated here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NmNwtmVbt4UsWjCoDSUfeJx8CNkUbr7tE_KZlW0t4Z0/edit#gid=0

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I agree, I'm writing something up right now. Just got home from movie.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

zVxTeflon posted:

get youre hands off my Airbud

Are all the different airbuds separate? Is football airbud the same dog as basketball airbud?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They are all one dog. AirBud is eternal

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
With the first pick of the Movie Character Draft - The Celestial pick...

Financier: Tony Stark, Iron Man

The mastermind and architect of the Avengers, the futurist, philanthropist and technocrat, the man who pushes his world forward, Tony Stark is the cornerstone to Team Celestial. He has the resources, the vision, the connections, the capacity to bring this team together. He is no slouch in the field either as Iron Man possessing the heart of a hero. He is man at his peak and can stand amongst Gods and outwit them too.

"Mr. Stark! April O'Neil, reporter for News Channel 6. What is your reaction to being drafted first pick by the Celestial?!"

EDIT: Messaged Sex Haver 40000

Gatts fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 7, 2014

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

zVxTeflon posted:

They are all one dog. AirBud is eternal

I don't think that's fair.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Solid start

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Wait, can I still join? I had a big board and everything.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Oskar Schindler, Schindler's List

e i guess it's someone elses turn???? i mean, i got the brett favre of non-brett favre movie characters, but its someone elses turn

SEX HAVER 40000 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 7, 2014

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Frackie Robinson posted:

Wait, can I still join? I had a big board and everything.

Yup, sure. You're up 11th.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'll take Robbie the Robot from Forbidden Planet, because he is a robot that can synthesize alcohol, and because I literally just woke up and that's the first character I thought of.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Come on peeps, effort post this bitch. Write it up, have a plan, be into it or my team is gonna wreck yours.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I had Robbie the Robot at around 800 on my big board. Solid 75th round sleeper. Al Davis-esque pick there.

edit...Top 3 picks presented cleanly:

Arkane fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 7, 2014

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are the positions for sure what we are picking for? Hero, second banana, etc... ? This is very important as i need to know how to build my roster

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Robby looks good in black and white.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

jimcunningham posted:

Are the positions for sure what we are picking for? Hero, second banana, etc... ? This is very important as i need to know how to build my roster

Nah no positions. Draft whomever or whatever.

If you want to do your own theme (build a "team" for some purpose or draft for a movie that combines all of your characters, whatevs), you can do whatever you want.

Also as a rule clarification, the choice has to be a legit character. Can't draft locations like New York City or lolPandora or an inanimate object like a spaceship or some other vehicle. Other than that, no limitations. The character does not have to appear in the movie.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
With the the #4 overall pick, JoeRules Productions selects....

UHF's Stanley Spadowski

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Arkane posted:

Nah no positions. Draft whomever or whatever.

If you want to do your own theme (build a "team" for some purpose or draft for a movie that combines all of your characters, whatevs), you can do whatever you want.

Also as a rule clarification, the choice has to be a legit character. Can't draft locations like New York City or lolPandora or an inanimate object like a spaceship or some other vehicle. Other than that, no limitations. The character does not have to appear in the movie.

but what if the film is shot in such a way that the city is itself a character

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
No doubt there have been films shot that way, but gonna limit this to animate characters to keep it in the spirit of a sports-type draft.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
He said no. Has to be person.

That being said...

Oh that's a good pick, Cotton. JoeRules Production gets a 5 tool potential MVP in Spadowski. When he was needed he was there to pick up the slack and carried UHF on his back. He is a genuine good guy with heart and was in demand. A real game changer with unlimited energy.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 7, 2014

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

but what if the film is shot in such a way that the city is itself a character

I asked specifically for my pick. I had originally intended on drafting New York City (Die Hard with a Vengeance) as my #1 pick... and may or may not have considered drafting Enron (The Smartest Guys in the Room) later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Can I draft Los Angeles from Los Angeles Plays Itself?

• Locked thread