Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Bendo is loving cool and I hate it that people hate him just because the ball bounced his way a few times. Variance, motherfuckers. He's not Leonard Garcia, he just ran good for a few fights. Let it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Jack of Hearts posted:

Bendo is loving cool and I hate it that people hate him just because the ball bounced his way a few times. Variance, motherfuckers. He's not Leonard Garcia, he just ran good for a few fights. Let it go.

Those decisions don't hold a candle to Sanchez nor Garcia.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
For a (the) example of Bendo being really cool please watch him style all over A Diaz for 5 rounds.

not even if sober
Jun 20, 2006

I ain't no bitch.
I think he mostly wins by being in better shape and being more athletic than his opponents. He really isn't that good of a striker or grappler.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

He's really good and talented but he's also pretty lame and got incredibly questionable judge decisions in fights against much cooler dudes.

He's much cooler than Thomson who is a huge tool.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

not even if sober posted:

I think he mostly wins by being in better shape and being more athletic than his opponents. He really isn't that good of a striker or grappler.

Says the guy with a Diaz avatar

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

For a (the) example of Bendo being really cool please watch him style all over A Diaz for 5 rounds.

Or murdering Jim Miller for three rounds.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Jack of Hearts posted:

Preach

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Or murdering Jim Miller for three rounds.

Both of his fights with Cerrone, making Varner pout, the first Pettis fight.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Bendo is really awesome and all it will take to remind people of that is watching him fight slightly less good fighters for a while. His style doesn't look really good unless he's finishing or totally dominating his opponents.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

not even if sober posted:

He's a good striker for MMA, he just lacks huge power and relies on his range-keeping kicks a bit too much.

He is an excellent grappler and you are smoking crack

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bendo is also cooler than Melendez who just defended the Diego decision.

The man robbed Frankie once or maybe twice, he went to confession, said a few Hail Marys and was forgiven.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Both of his fights with Cerrone, making Varner pout, the first Pettis fight.

Also the Guida fight

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
I like what Cruz said about Bendo dealing with all of Rustam's strengths and mentally taking them away through the course of the fight. I don't know if it's necessarily true but it's a neat narrative.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Diego just called out Nate Diaz for a fight in Mexico. PLEASE HAPPEN.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Dominick Cruz: Explain what Diego did right.

Gilbert Melendez: No. 1, he fought in front of his hometown in ABQ.

Friendly reminder that Dominick Cruz owns all the bones

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I missed this card but I see from the results that Diego will probably win the worst blatant judges robbery award for the second year in a row

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Ninja PD posted:

I like what Cruz said about Bendo dealing with all of Rustam's strengths and mentally taking them away through the course of the fight. I don't know if it's necessarily true but it's a neat narrative.

It's definitely true, at the end of the fight his only takedowns were happening off strikes or double legs, Bendo matched him strength for strength and every time he got Bendo down he escaped or swept him. Also as the fight wore on he got hit more and more with increasingly powerful strikes.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MassRafTer posted:

The man robbed Frankie once or maybe twice, he went to confession, said a few Hail Marys and was forgiven.

He absolutely did not rob Frankie twice. The first was a completely defensible decision, whatever side you come down on. The second, sure, no justification for that.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

Jack of Hearts posted:

Word. This man knows math and stuff. Listen to what he says.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTZDPkXJPv8

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

Agent Tough Juice posted:

Word. This man knows math and stuff. Listen to what he says.

Remember when Jack of Hearts was spergy as gently caress? I do. Motherfucker was weird.

He's been right for a while now. Heads up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jack of Hearts posted:

He absolutely did not rob Frankie twice. The first was a completely defensible decision, whatever side you come down on. The second, sure, no justification for that.

I agree and think he absolutely won the Melendez fight and think the Thomson decision was perfectly fair.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I thought he lost the 2nd Frankie fight and the Thomson fight, the 1st Frankie fight and Melendez fight were close but those 2 other fights in particular were bad robberies.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

I thought he lost the 2nd Frankie fight and the Thomson fight, the 1st Frankie fight and Melendez fight were close but those 2 other fights in particular were bad robberies.

If Thomson had done anything in that fight he might have won it but he didn't.

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

Ben Henderson wins fights because Christ himself intervenes in the hearts of judges and Makes Thing Right for all of us, praise be to God, the one true Christian God, praise be to Yahweh, namaste, amen.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

Agreed. duncan had the best summation of the Melendez fight before it happened but Search Is Down.

Most people haven't been giving Benson poo poo for being a bad fighter winning decisions such as Sanchez or Garcia, but that he went 4 years and almost nothing significant happened in any of the fights he won. It was surprising because in WEC he was a constant finishing machine and highlight reel artist and didn't have the weird tattoos yet. You could say "the competition in UFC is better so the finishing rate was going to drop!" but literally all WEC fighters beat all the UFC ones and Bendo used to finish the WEC fighters all the time.

In short: Benson disappointment is justifiable whether it's from split decisions or brushing his hair for 150 consecutive minutes. The toothpick thing and the Frankie Edgar upkick owned though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

Agreed. duncan had the best summation of the Melendez fight before it happened but Search Is Down.

Most people haven't been giving Benson poo poo for being a bad fighter winning decisions such as Sanchez or Garcia, but that he went 4 years and almost nothing significant happened in any of the fights he won. It was surprising because in WEC he was a constant finishing machine and highlight reel artist and didn't have the weird tattoos yet. You could say "the competition in UFC is better so the finishing rate was going to drop!" but literally all WEC fighters beat all the UFC ones and Bendo used to finish the WEC fighters all the time.

In short: Benson disappointed is justifiable whether it's from split decisions or brushing his hair for 120 consecutive minutes. The toothpick thing and the Frankie Edgar upkick owned though.

He beat the ever loving poo poo out of Jim Miller and the only reason it wasn't stopped is because Miller is really tough. Then he followed it up by beating the poo poo out of Guida. Bullshit that almost nothing significant happened in the fights he won.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

MassRafTer posted:

He beat the ever loving poo poo out of Jim Miller and the only reason it wasn't stopped is because Miller is really tough. Then he followed it up by beating the poo poo out of Guida. Bullshit that almost nothing significant happened in the fights he won.

And those fights were 3 years ago

I don't hate Benson, I enjoyed most of his fights, but if you don't see reason why people were frustrated with some of those fights for years then I don't know what to tell you.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Presser note: Even Diego Sanchez isn't crazy enough to think he won the second round, still dumb enough to think he won the first and third

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The Guida fight was awesome and I'm so sad nobody saw it because he did poo poo like defend single legs by doing a front split.

Same poo poo happened when he defended a leg lock from Nate Diaz with the splits because the feed cut away when Nate flipped him off.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

And those fights were 3 years ago

I don't hate Benson, I enjoyed most of his fights, but if you don't see reason why people were frustrated with some of those fights for years then I don't know what to tell you.

Fine he beat the poo poo out of Nate Diaz a year and a half ago. Then he beat Gilbert Melendez. Sorry it was a close fight but he won it. Then he got finished by Showtime and had a fight with Thomson where if you valued grappling more you gave it to Thomson and if you valued striking more you gave it to Bendo. Beyond that he had a classic with Edgar in their first fight and the second fight was really good even though it was a blatant robbery.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

1st AD posted:

The Guida fight was awesome and I'm so sad nobody saw it because he did poo poo like defend single legs by doing a front split.

Same poo poo happened when he defended a leg lock from Nate Diaz with the splits because the feed cut away when Nate flipped him off.

Yep. The Guida fight was fantastic.

Pettis>Bendo>Guida>Pettis

Yay MMA

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
At this point I think the issue with Bendo might be that he's a pressure and attrition fighter in a division full of guys with unbreakable chins who never get tired. Just now he beat Khabilov pretty much by avoiding getting killed by suplex/spinning poo poo and then outworking him on the feet and on the ground until Rustam wore down and left the door open, which Benson charged straight through for the finish. But then if you look at his UFC record it's a bunch of guys where that strategy doesn't work that well or at least is unlikely to deliver a stoppage (i.e. Miller, Guida, Edgar, Diaz, Melendez, etc., pretty much a laundry list of guys who refuse to die).

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I really hope Diaz/Sanchez does happen because Nate would probably outdo his Cerrone performance.

e: assuming Diego doesn't get finished

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Lloyd Boner posted:

I really hope Diaz/Sanchez does happen because Nate would probably outdo his Cerrone performance.

e: assuming Diego doesn't get finished

Diego can't easily walk through poo poo anymore and Nate has gotten a lot better at putting out combos with volume AND punching power behind them. I'm almost certain Diego would get beaten (more) retarded.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
This Dave guy is not Jon Anik?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Everyone liked Bendo when his opponents were overmatched and he owned them now people dont like him as much because everybody he fights owns and he doesnt really do much besides be huge, avoid as many exchages as possible by throwing kicks and refuse to tap to stuff

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

MassRafTer posted:

Fine he beat the poo poo out of Nate Diaz a year and a half ago. Then he beat Gilbert Melendez. Sorry it was a close fight but he won it. Then he got finished by Showtime and had a fight with Thomson where if you valued grappling more you gave it to Thomson and if you valued striking more you gave it to Bendo. Beyond that he had a classic with Edgar in their first fight and the second fight was really good even though it was a blatant robbery.

Why are you saying sorry to me? I'm not Gilbert Melendez I'm just a fan that watched a fight happen for 25 minutes and I can't remember anything about it but Gilbert taking Benson down in the first round.

Dude you're missing my point and it's partly my fault because I wasn't posting seriously. Benson Henderson had 6 WEC fights coming into UFC. He finished 4 of them. That's a finishing percentage of 66%. He literally didn't have a bad WEC fight cause even the 2 that went to a decision were Fight of the Years, he got his nickname 'Bendo' in the Cerrone fight (and that's the fight that made him popular) and the Pettis fight was a classic. SINCE then though, he's had his ups and downs. Benson would have to finish 6 people in a row to get to where his finishing percentage was in WEC. This was his first finish since those WEC days.

Or in other words:

Bundt Cake posted:

Everyone liked Bendo when his opponents were overmatched and he owned them now people dont like him as much because everybody he fights owns and he doesnt really do much besides be huge, avoid as many exchages as possible by throwing kicks and refuse to tap to stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

Why are you saying sorry to me? I'm not Gilbert Melendez I'm just a fan that watched a fight happen for 25 minutes and I can't remember anything about it but Gilbert taking Benson down in the first round.

Dude you're missing my point and it's partly my fault because I wasn't posting seriously. Benson Henderson had 6 WEC fights coming into UFC. He finished 4 of them. That's a finishing percentage of 66%. He literally didn't have a bad WEC fight cause even the 2 that went to a decision were Fight of the Years, he got his nickname 'Bendo' in the Cerrone fight (and that's the fight that made him popular) and the Pettis fight was a classic. SINCE then though, he's had his ups and downs. Benson would have to finish 6 people in a row to get to where his finishing percentage was in WEC. This was his first finish since those WEC days.

Or in other words:

I grew up Catholic and have a lot of guilt for everything I do.

• Locked thread