Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

1st AD posted:

Diego can't easily walk through poo poo anymore and Nate has gotten a lot better at putting out combos with volume AND punching power behind them. I'm almost certain Diego would get beaten (more) retarded.

Diego has looked a bit poo poo in his last few outings because he's fought a series of opponents who stuffed his takedowns, but I'm not sure Nate could do that. My guess would be that Diego would take Nate down, neutralize his submission attempts, and ride all three rounds out to a clear decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The combo Bendo threw into the finish was amazing. It was such a solid combo that immediately followed with an RNC. That was incredible. Bendo is a really amazing fighter. I honestly think Hobby Lobby would beat Gillbear, but I think Bendo is a step above both.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bundt Cake posted:

Everyone liked Bendo when his opponents were overmatched and he owned them now people dont like him as much because everybody he fights owns and he doesnt really do much besides be huge, avoid as many exchages as possible by throwing kicks and refuse to tap to stuff

Yeah he's a bit like GSP in that he has really good offense for winning rounds but rarely gets into positions where he can finish fights against good competition because he doesn't have the power/timing/accuracy of someone like Pettis, and everybody at the top of the division can wrestle and get up if they get taken down.

The minute he hit Khabilov with a really good shot he immediately laced up that RNC, but guys like Frankie and Gil just didn't give him those openings.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am just getting to the prelims now and props to the ref for not calling the fight when Spotty got knocked down. That looked scary.

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

MassRafTer posted:

I grew up Catholic and have a lot of guilt for everything I do.

Same.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

1st AD posted:

Yeah he's a bit like GSP in that he has really good offense for winning rounds but rarely gets into positions where he can finish fights against good competition because he doesn't have the power/timing/accuracy of someone like Pettis, and everybody at the top of the division can wrestle and get up if they get taken down.

The minute he hit Khabilov with a really good shot he immediately laced up that RNC, but guys like Frankie and Gil just didn't give him those openings.

I think for gsp it was more a matter of choice. he was very capable of KOing people standing, in a way that bendo isnt at all

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Eh...he threw a shitload of BRH's against Jake Shields and looked really ineffective doing it. And he wasn't able to get much going against Hendricks either.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Sherk, Hughes, Fitch

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

GSP had nothing for Hendricks because he was, for once, facing a far better fighter. Bigg Rigg was hesitant to use his full power because he didn't want to gas, but he outclassed GSP in basically every area.

This isn't the first time GSP has came across someone with just more raw talent. Each time he came back better. Now he's bigger than I've ever seen, so maybe he just gains the power of anyone who bests him.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

but he outclassed GSP in basically every area.

This isn't true at all.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This isn't true at all.

For some reason Mr. Nice has chosen to be PSP's official Johny Hendricks superfan, so we should all just get used to this.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bundt Cake posted:

Sherk, Hughes, Fitch

I don't know if you can really hold those fights up as evidence of GSP's power, those happened a long time ago against fighters that are one-dimensional. I mean poo poo Fitch basically got knocked out and then choked unconscious by Josh Burkman. Also he didn't knock Fitch out though maybe that fight could've been stopped at times.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This isn't true at all.

Skill-wise, I think it was. About all GSP had was a better ability to pace himself since he'd been in shitloads of 5-rounders before AND he'd been in increasingly grueling fights post-injury, but I think Hendricks showed great fight IQ (other than not pushing the gas harder) and more effective striking and wrestling.

What kills me about GSP's career is that whenever he did get guys down in the latter part of his career, he didn't seem to work all that hard at hurting guys from top position. Like in the Hardy fight, instead of fishing for a kimura that he couldn't finish maybe he could've just kneed the poo poo out of Dan's ribs from side control since he was able to get that position easily. Same with not kneeing Diaz in the guts every time he rolled to turtle.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 8, 2014

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Mr. Nice!, when he has decided something true, will argue and defend it to no end even when presented with empirical evidence, then if you bring it up later he won't remember because he was incredibly drunk at the time

SHASHIMI MEANS RAW FISH WE loving GOOGLED IT IT SAID SO RIGHT THERE

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 8, 2014

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

Skill-wise, I think it was. About all GSP had was a better ability to pace himself since he'd been in shitloads of 5-rounders before AND he'd been in increasingly grueling fights post-injury, but I think Hendricks showed great fight IQ (other than not pushing the gas harder) and more effective striking and wrestling.

Hendricks certainly didn't outwrestle GSP and barely outstruck him if he did at all. He didn't "outclass" GSP in any area.

Edit: Except whining, he certainly did that a lot better.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EvanSchenck posted:

For some reason Mr. Nice has chosen to be PSP's official Johny Hendricks superfan, so we should all just get used to this.

There shouldn't be any reasons at all. Bigg Rigg owns.

1st AD posted:

What kills me about GSP's career is that whenever he did get guys down in the latter part of his career, he didn't seem to work all that hard at hurting guys from top position. Like in the Hardy fight, instead of fishing for a kimura that he couldn't finish maybe he could've just kneed the poo poo out of Dan's ribs from side control since he was able to get that position easily. Same with not kneeing Diaz in the guts every time he rolled to turtle.

Thank you for articulating my thoughts.

maffew buildings posted:

Mr. Nice!, when he has decided something true, will argue and defend it to no end even when presented with empirical evidence, then if you bring it up later he won't remember because he was incredibly drunk at the time

There isn't much to argue when I'm right.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I haven't watched the fight in a while but Hendricks was able to do a lot from the clinch and deliver knees and punches. I mean maybe you have a different definition of out wrestling than I do but I remember Hendricks having an advantage there for much of the fight. Takedown-wise it's a wash.

Also Hendricks might have barely outstruck GSP but he did more visible damage.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

I haven't watched the fight in a while but Hendricks was able to do a lot from the clinch and deliver knees and punches. I mean maybe you have a different definition of out wrestling than I do but I remember Hendricks having an advantage there for much of the fight. Takedown-wise it's a wash.

So Hendricks' slight advantage in the clinch and causing more visible damage is now outclassing GSP in every area, cool.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

So Hendricks' slight advantage in the clinch and causing more visible damage is now outclassing GSP in every area, cool.

He did outclass GSP in the area of "balance" and GSP's deficiency in this area led to much of that damage.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

He did outclass GSP in the area of "balance" and GSP's deficiency in this area led to much of that damage.

Agreed

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

There shouldn't be any reasons at all. Bigg Rigg owns.

I mainly dislike him because I'm bigoted against Okie shitkickers, so I'm glad you're around to counterbalance my prejudice.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Hendricks certainly didn't outwrestle GSP and barely outstruck him if he did at all. He didn't "outclass" GSP in any area.

Sometimes there are fights where one guy is supposed to win dominantly, and then when he doesn't people act like the other guy won by virtue of not getting pushed around like a child. I think Sonnen-Bisping is the outstanding example of this, because a lot of people (including Dana White!) acted like Bisping won when actually most of the fight was Sonnen shoving him into the fence while punching him. By any objective measure Sonnen won the fight by a wide margin, but since he was expected to ragdoll Bisping all over the place and beat the dogshit out of him, merely winning safely looked like a loss.

It's the same way with GSP-Hendricks. GSP landed more significant strikes, completed more takedowns, and spent more time in top position, so in retrospect I know that he won the fight fair and square. At the time, however, the success that Hendricks had was more surprising and made a much bigger impression on me. For example, I can still remember the image of GSP grabbing a single and scooting Hendricks on one leg all the way across the Octagon without finishing the takedown, but I can't remember any of the takedowns that GSP completed. It's because GSP was supposed to wrestle the poo poo out of him, so Hendrick's unexpected success was much bigger in my memory than what GSP did.

1st AD posted:

It's really not. Really, GSP won the judges' scorecards because he won the wrestling.

quote:

Stockton rules?

Condit and Diaz both did more visible damage to GSP than vice versa, in the course of getting completely dominated. Dude bruises easily.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I missed this during the event but it turns out Bryan Caraway fishhooked the poo poo out of Erik Perez.

edit: lobstermobster posted this at the time but now you have additional disgusting video

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CarlCX posted:

I missed this during the event but it turns out Bryan Caraway fishhooked the poo poo out of Erik Perez.

edit: lobstermobster posted this at the time but now you have additional disgusting video

Mr Tate is a bigger piece of poo poo than Vitor Belfort any day of the week, never forget this.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
nope

Mogador
Nov 4, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

GSP had nothing for Hendricks because he was, for once, facing a far better fighter.

I am probably Hendricks number 1 fan, but :lol:

not even if sober
Jun 20, 2006

I ain't no bitch.
Bendo is not like GSP at all. What a terrible comparison. GSP is elite at every aspect of fighting and Bendo is elite at being big and having good cardio.

not even if sober
Jun 20, 2006

I ain't no bitch.
I'm half joking, but I'm having trouble thinking of something Bendo is extremely good at other than not getting choked and avoiding strikes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

not even if sober posted:

I'm half joking, but I'm having trouble thinking of something Bendo is extremely good at other than not getting choked and avoiding strikes.

Being a Christian.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Bendo's choke defense is like 50% hair-based. Bendo is good at hair, bad at tattoos.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

not even if sober posted:

I mean, there's something to be said for solid defense. That's half of the game right there.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Balthesar posted:

Bendo's choke defense is like 50% hair-based. Bendo is good at hair, bad at tattoos.

hes not that good at hair, hes always having to touch it

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Bendo's a really good grappler and is the best guy at scrambles who doesn't train at team alpha male.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
How is there so much chatter about how Bendo winning bad decisions when he finished last night? What the gently caress? Bendo's a bad wrestler, only wins because he's big? Where do people get this poo poo?

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

bendo looked like a hell of a wrestler last night by neutralizing khabilov's wrestling. that's what khabilov does. he does it well. his wrestling also looked better against frankie than gray maynard's did, which is saying a lot.

benson's a really solid fighter.

EvanSchenck posted:

Diego has looked a bit poo poo in his last few outings because he's fought a series of opponents who stuffed his takedowns, but I'm not sure Nate could do that. My guess would be that Diego would take Nate down, neutralize his submission attempts, and ride all three rounds out to a clear decision.

i don't know if diego's knees would allow him to take down anyone anymore. the two times he tried to change levels last night he looked stiff and incompetent.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Watching the fight now and the sitout scramble Benson does at the end of rd 3 is insanely sick.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
lol that Diego Sanchez decision

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Sprecherscrow posted:

How is there so much chatter about how Bendo winning bad decisions when he finished last night? What the gently caress? Bendo's a bad wrestler, only wins because he's big? Where do people get this poo poo?

We get it from the last four years of his career. Last night was the best he's looked since the Guida fight. I notice you weren't arguing in his favor until the day after he got his first win by stoppage since the WEC.

freud mayweather posted:

i don't know if diego's knees would allow him to take down anyone anymore. the two times he tried to change levels last night he looked stiff and incompetent.

I see. I should probably pay more attention to fighters' health.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I can't even remember the last time Diego took anyone down. It was when he went back up to welterweight, right? Maybe against Paulo Thiago?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Yeah I'm pretty sure if Diego fights Nate it'll be contested almost entirely on the feet and assuming Diego doesn't get knocked out, Nate's gonna rack up like 200+ sig strikes.

e: Also if Diego does get a takedown I'd reckon he'd be punch-drunk enough at that point for Nate to sub him.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

I think Diego won if it were PRIDE rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

masato tatanka posted:

I think Diego won if it were PRIDE rules

How

• Locked thread