Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norbert
Feb 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The hydro-generator lowering the water needing a better visual cue is a very valid suggestion though, as there's no way to tell what it's done at a glance.

There is a visual cue because the splashing and mist of the water in front of the building is removed, it seemed obvious to me what that machine would do but I can see how it's easy to miss. Maybe they could show the change in one of those blue-toned overlays to make it a little more obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The hydro-generator lowering the water needing a better visual cue is a very valid suggestion though, as there's no way to tell what it's done at a glance.

Yeah this is the best suggestion. I ran up the lift and down again being confused where the new place is supposed to be, even though I knew it was the much alluded neighbour's house with THE ROOM. I had to check the map to figure out the river should be crossable, which probably shouldn't be the best approach for a game meant to not "hold your hand".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Yeah this is the best suggestion. I ran up the lift and down again being confused where the new place is supposed to be, even though I knew it was the much alluded neighbour's house with THE ROOM. I had to check the map to figure out the river should be crossable, which probably shouldn't be the best approach for a game meant to not "hold your hand".

The other problem is the other side of the river looks like generic valley wall, rather than a place with a traversable path running through it. Your only actual visual cue is the set of stairs cut into the river breaker, and it's very easy to not notice them as they're directly behind the building with the Dad in it.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Brackhar posted:

These are all pretty great suggestions. Do you do level design of your own out of curiosity?

Not at all, this is just stuff from my player's perspective that would have made it a better experience for me. I had to run through the mine area a few times because I spent some time searching the lower area of the valley (particularly since there's a few things that you can handle in any order). After a while I just started asking myself "why are these three areas so long, it's not really contributing anything besides taking my time". The train bridge idea kinda grew off of that, I was running around on it later on in the game because I thought one of the crossing lights unlocked a storylet (later finding out the light thing was something else entirely), and the same thought occurred to me. It's not like the dam, I thought the dam was ok because there's a certain size required to be plausible and you get to see the town in the distance as you walk forward, but the train bridge...nothing really to see and could have been shorter while still looking okay.

I'm probably going to pick up Ether One at your suggestion, looks interesting.

As for the path suggestion that someone else critiqued, I read "hand-holding" more as obnoxious prompts, and it's my opinion to maneuver players to find content without it qualifying as "hand-holding". I honestly ran through those woods at the beginning of the game but it's so dense with stuff that I didn't see the column at the beginning. Even with the map near the end, I still had a hard time finding it.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm probably going to pick up Ether One at your suggestion, looks interesting.

Ether One has a few ear-flicks, but I think it's one of the best games of this type of genre. I'd definitely recommend it to everyone in the thread.

Things to remember:
1) You can rotate objects when you pick them up
2) Sometimes objects in the world will require you to type something on them, like posters and such. Just click on the blank to begin typing.
3) There are both normal and black light bulbs.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I really wish I didn't miss the astronaut bit near the beginning, since it seems like it was there to kinda give you a big clue in to the actual true story going on where the things you were seeing were just Ethan's writings. I could just be dense, but having missed that until the end and having to--very beautifully--backtrack to do it I was pretty much swallowing the presented storyline with few second thoughts since everything fit well enough despite eyerolling a bit when Lovecraft stuff came up.

Anyway, despite its flaws I liked the experience. Would buy again, especially if it's successful enough to get them a bigger team so they could get a bit more ambitious in scope. I'm still a little floored that one of the most goddamn beautiful games I've ever played came from such a small team.

The sniper rifle in the middle of the lake was a little off putting though. It's original position was better I thought.

GewuerzKahn
Jan 7, 2014

My opposable nipples are hurting me.
Sniper rifle?

I played through the game and never entcountered a sniper rifle.

What else did I miss?

edit: Got it.

GewuerzKahn fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 8, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wait, there actually IS a rifle in the game? I thought it was just a patch notes joke.

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats
I enjoyed this game a lot, it looks great and had just the right amount of eerie creepiness to it. I didn't really find the ending underwhelming like others have said, but then I also found the astronaut bit on my first go. The music was a big cue for me in that area, not sure how, it just had a "hey you're missing something here" feel to it.

For me, because I'm a huge sissy, one of the main premises for not getting scared was telling myself "it's just puzzles, you can't actually die", so the mine puzzle really hosed me up, jesus christ. I also had a bit of a problem getting out of the mine because I didn't realise you can crouch :doh:

Jep Gambardella
Jul 20, 2014
I haven't played the game yet, but I'm absolutely in love with the fact that photogrammetry was used to build realistic game environments. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first application of state-of-the-art 3D modeling using computer vision in the area of games (a recent example in movies was Avatar).

I'm curious about people's experiences with the performance of the game - what would you say is a recommended minimum setup to get a full experience? Are the minimum requirements listed on the steam page sufficient? Or would you recommend a monster gaming machine for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I've got a system that's mid-lower range for gaming PCs now (i5 3.4Ghz, GeForce 650, 8GB RAM) and the only thing I had to drop to get a framerate I was happy with was the AA. I didn't even have to turn it off, I was still able to use one of the lower settings, and everything else I cranked up as high as the settings would let me.

• Locked thread