Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic posted:

I usually like Keannu Reeves too but his performance in Man of Tai Chi was so aloof or cold or distant, he did not seem to bring his usual energy to that role and it was disappointing.

Don't want to derail about one specific movie, but I disagree about Man of Tai Chi. I thought Reeves' affect worked in that the character seems to have become somewhat bored with the underground fighting world. It shows in his fighting style too, it feels like he's bored of it all. Each move is deliberate and powerful, but he looks pissed off to even have to exert himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

R. Mute posted:

I think there are a lot of very talented actors who just aren't able to show us their full ability.

Channing Tatum comes to mind recently. I'm sure there were people in his camp that argued against playing the kind of character he does in 21/22 Jump Street, and probably some at the studio that didn't want to cast him in it. Turns out he can be pretty drat funny when you give him a chance, but he could have gone an entire mediocre career without ever showing that(his career will probably still be mediocre but at least he's branched out a little bit).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zesty Mordant posted:

Very true. Transformation can take a lot of effort, especially in walking the line between sincere portrayal and parody, but have some of these otherwise talented actors walk into a Starbucks in a scene in these or any other movies, and they'll be standing around lifting paper cups to their lips and tilting them back, nodding while they chat, and for most of them you'll be thinking, "That cup isn't full of anything. There's nothing in it. Look how quickly and thoughtlessly they move it around. It's empty. They're holding an empty cup and trying to make us think it's not empty. But it is"

I've never looked into it but I always assumed Brad Pitt started the habit he has of eating in a lot of scenes because it is something to do that is real, and it forces him into a rhythm that comes close to actual speech patterns.

• Locked thread